New to SP

Discussion in 'Shattered Peaks' started by dragonistear, Jul 24, 2014.

1. allyorbase

allyorbase I need me some PIE!

Forest Giant isn't bad; he's just not good, either. He looks great on paper, but I've seen a few people run him and it just never lasts as long as you'd expect it to. Also, it has Vuln: fire, so against UD, it's taking a lot of bonus damage, which almost counters Colossal's mitigation, anyway. Colossal Boa is just leagues better: it is an Elf and a Beast (super synergy), it heals itself, it has 1-2 range, and it has Tough. Its drawback is Lethargic, which is pretty easy to deal with, so KF players run it, instead.

Back to the original question, though: Feshwranglers. Run two of them in Hyaenids, always. That yell ability is awesome in nids, and Tunnel is so wonderful in early game. Don't overthink it.

2. dragonistear

dragonistear I need me some PIE!

Oh right... those are 2x2 too... Lol I already ran 2 of those. Just forgot what they were :p.

Will be playing more test games soon so I'll see how the BG goes.

3. dragonistear

4. Raikan

Raikan I need me some PIE!

A few ideas to consider on the non-champ line up:

(1) Switch 1 of your aoe spells (probably lightning storm) to an echo chamber--another damage type, it can be used to contest a font for a turn, it's a larger aoe, and it brings distract (you may or may not have it w/ marid).

(2) Consider dropping diamond mace. You don't appear to have any build up/super champs, so there's less risk that you'll get slammed with a negative equip that you'll want to spend 30 nora to shatter. As far as equips on opposing champions, vertical push will unequip those, reset the champ, and deal 20 damage, which will cover most of the situations. Mace is great, but if you need another deck slot, this could be a way to create space.

(3) You may want to add state of confusion. Spot distract and upgrade loss (with a nora refund) can be a cheap way to bypass defenses or make a champion much less threatening. It's also a source of spot distract, and is typically cheaper than any cleanse option.

(4) Rock trap is always fun to use (and has a very rewarding feel when done well).

Edit: I'm sure people would be willing to give some non-theme champ suggestions if you want to move away from a nid/djinn theme.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  5. dragonistear

I'm back.
    @Raikan Yeah been finding lately that Diamond Mace really hasn't been doing much. Actually I really haven't been using much of SP's equips: slavers whip or harpoon either. Don't really know when to use them. Should I drop these? Don't really like dropping a rune for a one time use trap.

-1: Hyaenid Instigator
    +1: Echo Chamber (Still reluctant on taking out LS since LS can be cast from range, whereas I need o trow a champ into the midst to drop an effective Echo Chamber)

On the other hand, Executioner is awesome.
    Need to get more of those.

What do people think of Witchdoctor/Stalker

6. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

Contesting fonts is always hard with sp, as we are the slowest faction in the game. Thats why if you are a font down with sp you have usually lost. Also Voils are cheap, you dont need any of their exos or infernal, just the essential like voil queen and imperialist.

7. dragonistear

What is good about SP then?
    I think I should have started asking that. Oops :p.

8. Vorian

Our tricks. We get the opponent off balance then keep them there. If its whispers of the mind, or a range 3 war cry with klub.

9. dragonistear

But I dont actually see SP having a lot of tricks?
    SL has huge powerturns with quicken/quickening.
    KF is just KF.
    I thought SP was the send bunch of units out pick off priority targets, save priority targets with whisper.
    Maybe I'm not playing this right...

10. Raikan

We've lost some of our tricks (overload on a ranged fesh, paralytic strike w/ overcharged golem, battle drum and deploy rock trap on shallaxy) but kept others (cliff diving with slaver's whip, swallow whole, sceian with crypt/instigator) and gained some (sappers + ifrit w/ moga cannons).

Our faction bonus and font bonus are among the better ones out there. Combined with pretty efficient champions already, and they get to be really cheap.

SP has a lot of relocation effects right now (transporter, thrower, swap on shallaxy...no battle drum or rock trap though...., angel, vicious harpoon, etc.). This is generally useful in any faction since it increases threat range,but it is particularly useful in SP for position Sceian or Moga Sappers (although I miss repositioning instigator).

It also has some of the better aoe spells/abilities in the game, especially since several of them are relics rather than spells (avalanche, lightning storm, thunderhead totem, echo chamber, artillery on cannon, bombs on viable units like angel and firebomber).

And we have pretty good, on demand cc for single targets w/ whispers/state of confusion.

11. Vorian

Voil transporter is nothing like UD though, deep elf priestess's beckon demon has a cool down of 1; while she also has multi attack 2, attack magical and poison 2 for about the same price as the transporter. G'hern thrower on the other hand is as good, he used to be much better though when instigators didn't have pariah. You seem to have a good grasp of the game. You cant underestimate the advantage of getting ur champs to the front lines quicker.

12. Raikan

DEP is pretty undercosted imo....not sure how she gets all those abilities and 7 speed and CD 1 relocate. I get how beckon can be weaker than relocate: ally in some circumstances, but it can also be stronger in many circumstances. She's probably had her cost artificially reduced because she is so essential to UD, especially Maxx-based bgs.

Personally, I wish they removed Init. 2 from Instigator and then removed Pariah to allow some relocate gameplay w/ him.

13. Vorian

Right now UD have nora gen to match us with sacrifice, the best relocation in the game and the best damage, so I am not going to take any of their complaints about our bonus.

Dragonistar Cyclops mauler is a good choice, but if you are going to pick between him and primal go for primal thats what konung runs. The good thing about SP is we have a good balance of melee and ranged units, so we dont lack in either area. UD for instance have no range, but compensate in other areas.

That all said whispers of the mind has become crutch rune, which can get you 50 ranks higher in ranked.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  14. dragonistear

Ok I finally got my executioner. What a cost though :(.

Current Deck:
    http://poxbase.com/deck/chIckxCaDCaFCaGC5TCfPcfOCfIs5Qs1ks3ts6Ys59S82r2Yr16R2ZrOe1Qe1fe1j

I'm thinking of taking out the Ifrit now that I have an executioner... but how important are 7 Spd fliers?

While Witchdoctors are in PoxBox, how worth is it for me to replace the cleansing emerald with a witchdoctor?

Also, for now, I'm going to go Hyaenids, but maybe after playing more, I'll switch up to more meta runes.
    In the meantime, what runes in the current BG are "Less efficient" than they could be?

15. WraithxxV

WraithxxV Active Member

-Your bg looks good! The only difference with what I'm running is I run 1 of each Djinn, and 2 Bulwarks.
    -As for dropping Ifrit, test it out, and make your own decision. I like him.
    -I don't like Witchdoctors personally.

16. dragonistear

Updated:
    http://poxbase.com/deck/chIcfACkxCaDCaFCaGC5TCfPCfIs5Qs1ks3ts6Ys59S82r2Yr16R2ZrOe1fe1j

Decided to try out taking Ifrit and added in the new Executioner.
    Took out Diamond Mace, Replaced with Bulwark.

Wondering if I should use Bulwark or Instigator.
    Pro Bulwark: +21HP, Bulwark + tough(1) = Huge Survivability, less situational
    Pro Instigator: Initiative, -3Nora, If you trigger swarm, it has more survivability (more of them), adds poison for executions

Going for bulwark for now... But I recalled previous tests with both were kind of unsatisfactory.

17. Vorian

Dont take out the ifrit it is in sp meta decks! You should be running ifrit x2, they win games by themselves.

18. Raikan

I forgot to mention that SP runes have been cheaper traditionally than other factions. It comes down to a basic fact: people demand sexy winged chicks with skimpy armor and large boobs more than they want dirty monsters from a wasteland.

As far as Ifrit, he can be pretty awe-inspiring against factions or themes heavily focused on physical damage. But he'll be completely useless against magic-damage heavy groups (i.e. pretty much anything involving KF) or groups with fire eater/immune units (lots in UD). Personally, I prefer runes that don't have massive vulnerabilities that your opponent can exploit--you're really just betting that your opponent is bad and, if you're right, you'll probably be able to win in other ways.

Personally, I wouldn't run Ifrit without Moga Cannons. Other than immunity, Ifrit doesn't have any real damage mitigation, which means he's at risk of being one-rounded. If he is, then all his self-healing and aura goodness is useless. His only real protection is his decent hp pool: 51/56. Artillery will help keep him topped off, which minimize his chance of being one-rounded and maximize your chances of being able to take advantage of his self-healing and auras.

Even then, I think he's iffy given his cost. In a pure meta bg, there are a lot of good options for melee beaters that are MUCH cheaper and don't have his magic vulnerability: stormflyer, scavenger, our heroes, skythrash, etc.

Bulwark is a pretty awesome tank, but that's about it. I wish dogpile and serf weren't base though so he wasn't so expensive.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  19. Vorian

Xuvali and tinydragon run ifrit in sp meta. So do I. It is amazing vs UD, as its immune to most of their champs, so you can use it to block whatever champ you want.

20. Raikan

That's surprising to me (the UD part). UD will have a lot of units resistant or immune to his damage; a fire amp group will have at least 1x calignous cauldron; and pretty much every UD group will have retribution. I see your point about his blocking/defensive value, but 85 nora is a lot to pay for just a meat shield.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014