Just a few things

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vote Kanye 2020, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I would note that the whole Corpse vs Sokolov nonsense is kind of silly. Considering that nearly the entire time Corpse was there, I was also there, along with Revenancer. There was maybe a year after SOE Tucson closed that Corpse was alone, and then I took over fully when he left.

DarkJello and SPiEkY like this.
  2. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

yeah but you're biased

BurnPyro and SPiEkY like this.
  3. Sokolov

This perspective has always interested me largely because as far as I could tell it was not really demonstrable. Data didn't support it, listing runes/OP stuff by faction never showed ST having more or outrageously better runes. Some cited the +1 AP issue, but that was introduced back in the "Corpse Era." Plus, during "Corpse Era" I designed/balanced most of the ST runes anyway.

The Maljaran block was Pox's brightest days, for a lot of reasons:
    1. There were 3 designers on the team, all of whom played and knew the game. Prior to that, it was not the case, and the difference was stark.
      • We also had a writer on staff
    2. Having 3 designers means a lot, as we have our different aptitudes and faction understanding, creating a more diverse and interesting set of runes than one designer can put out.
      • Compare, for example, what Corpse and I put out "alone" vs what was done during Maljaran
    3. There were a lot more people playing back then, and SOE was still advertising the game at that time
      • It was the first major content release under SOE
      • It had also been awhile since content was released, due to transitions, UI update, etc.
    4. We had just had a big revamp with the new upgrade system that 3 designers spent months on
    5. Maljaran block introduced split races, a new mechanic at the time
      • Honestly, 8 factions is a PITA to juggle, and the way Maljaran was setup meant that it was more like 4
    6. Maljaran block had a massive backstory, each of the champions had 2 or more paragraphs written for them (not released to players)
      • This may not sound like much, but it does help make everything feel more complete even you guys never see that background
      • I re-introduced this concept somewhat starting with Endless Wonder, though I was not always able to include all the factions equally in the storyline
    7. Those split races were also meticulously designed to work together and play in a specific way
      • They were, you could argue, the first truly "designed" themes
      • They came, out of the box, playable together, unlike other themes that you'd have to cobble together
      • That said, there was a lot of grumbling at the time from people who didn't want to play splits and felt that old themes/factions were being neglected
    8. With 3 Designers, we could internally playtest (and did so daily) in a way that is almost impossible to achieve in other circumstances
    I could go on, but you get the gist of it, I think.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    Gaedel, Tweek516, Goyo and 4 others like this.
  4. Sokolov

Yea, I nerfed that thing multiple times.

Even now, it's one of the few runes with a POSITIVE cost modifier. Its basic design is problematic to cost.

Let's not forget Vashal, Mino Battlemage or Skeletal Lerper? Do you remember those? Or do you only care if a rune is OP when it's ST?

DarkJello and Woffleet like this.
  5. Sokolov

My primary role on larger design teams is Data Analytics. I don't know what data they were looking at for Treefolk, but given the low population currently, it would be hard to trust any numbers.

One of the most useful forms of looking at this sort of balance data is trend data and relative data. If something is true, looking at any specific point in time won't necessarily give you anything, but seeing how it is shifting due to changes will give you a much better sense of those changes. The other way to look at it is to contrast it to other data or slicing it, for example, instead of looking at it just as Treefolk WR, you look at it as Player's Non-Treefolk WR (or Overall) vs Treefolk WR by Tier/Rank. That will tell you if people playing at Treefolk at various levels are outperforming, underperforming, or simply matching their overall performance.

DarkJello likes this.
  6. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

When Deadpool speaks you kinda have to take it as butterflies.... Fleeting, and beautiful with a dash of a 42 car pile-up in a tunnel vision, omg this is psychedelic I am tripping over Shattered Peaks.

Your Underdepths needs a trimming mate, and don't get me started on that Forsaken Wastes of a toilet you have. What? Yes I told him about his Underdepths needing a trim. Go away. I like Pineapples too. Ohhhh that reminds me Your Swamp is a bit Forglar? I know I don't get it either. What? I told you it would sound weird. You told me to tell him. I don't like the Savage Tundra. My Ironfist gets cold. I can't die, but frostbite still--- Rhinos! Shut up, we have already been over that. Sundered Lands. Tar.

What? Speak up... I can't K'thir you..... Ah yes, Butterflies. I need to go get Taskmaster in the forest, Mission name. Blue Elephant is go. Colors!!!

In all seriousness though I did enjoy both Corpses period, and yours. That Upgrade system was my favorite of the 4 by far though. The original one where you could tweek literally every aspect of the rune, and the 1st? SOE one where the 2 of 4 choice upgrades were usually thought out with each one of them (6 ways to choose) being playable in 1 bg or another. I am actually saddened by our current upgrade system.

Please make Hoarfrost a theme, I do FF a lot. However there are 3 Splits I absolutely love, Hoarfrost, "Maljaran", and FS/SP AKA the "BS Brigade"

7. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

I am not sure how many Vashal Players you fought, but they were obscene.

8. Sokolov

Vashals was mine. And it was bonkers broken on release. It was an entire theme that was broken. I would argue it was the most broken thing I released and took an additional 2 or 3 iterations to fix.

DarkJello likes this.
  9. Sokolov

I admit I know some factions better than others. If you think that it would be possible to achieve a state where one knows all factions equally, then I would love to know how :)

10. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

Speaking of which, please put your all powerful gaze upon those guys when you get a chance!

11. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Everything will be forgiven if you happen to "accidentally" make some adjustments to draksar that would require 2-3 iterations to fix in later patches.

Like a year later. A year sounds good.

MovnTarget, OchiK and SPiEkY like this.
  12. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

You have saved us from the vashals in the past but now elves and AA are terrorizing the land,strike them down with the nerfhammer.

DarkJello likes this.
  13. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Please... He would use 10,000 Needles laced with Nerf

14. xezno

xezno I need me some PIE!

Vashal where good at one point?

15. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

good, great, broken beyond belief

oh well

16. xezno

xezno I need me some PIE!

That does sound insanely broken. Wow....
    To bad because they seem like a cool theme just by the looks but everytime I try them now I just get bored and move on rather quick. Middle ground is so hard to achieve. Thanks for the info!

17. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

I love Vashal. They seem a bit above par to me right now as they all got slapped with Race: Beast in the Re-revamp. All the BS that applies to Beast bgs, can apply to them. Do a UD/KF Beast split, and go crazy. +2dmg Faction bonus, Battle Master, Drive, Healing, Regen, Tough, Nora Shield, Nora Gen, ect. The list goes on.

18. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Vashals, Wings etc, have no reason being beasts. Beasts should be simple, like Grizzly Bear, Arctic Tiger and Great Eagle.... not some combat king like Scarlet Wing.

BurnPyro likes this.
  19. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

Best part of having Sok back is his ability to refute the vile sludge frequently crapped out by the perfectionist doubters. Some of them upgraded to Impenetrable and Shielded, see doble ballers rant, but that is typical head in the sand tail in the air behavior for a minority of peeps. They chant for "balance" as if it is a right granted by the supreme platypus of the metaverse, but I strongly suspect their motives are selfish. Strat = complain TONS about any other faction so that focus is NOT on OP stuff they are running. Sok may never agree with me out loud, but I bet my left dangle he concurs. Down with sludge, and up with Ninja cactus action.

#2015YearOfPox

20. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

I am still against Undead being sprinkled everywhere as a racial in FW. I mean Race Skeleton, Undead... Really; double dead? Though this is - I'm sure - just a personal thing for me.