Paladins

Discussion in 'Ironfist Stronghold' started by Sokolov, Feb 9, 2015.

1. JaceDragon

JaceDragon I need me some PIE!

For the inquisitor thing i agree with Tarth, Righteous shield should remain, while as Markoth suggest is declare hunted that should go to drop her cost

Ghoul hunter is good but he is not a paladin, and that hurts for the simply reason he would not take the boost from command paladin. Vengeant knight is a good rune nothing to say about him. He is cheap, and good vs meele, with block and with res physical 3. Violent support the Human inquisition subtheme and violent help him reach a good dmg output after few atk, while charged heal gives stustain to him.

The real problem with the Pally/shamn/priest thing, imo, is that the last two do not take the boost from command paladin. So why shoul i run a rune which boost paladin, is nearly half of my bg isn't paladin?

2. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

Where did I say that ? I think you are confusing me with someone else.

3. JaceDragon

4. Axeraiser

He said I complained about a lack of defensive abilities.

5. Tarth

Tarth Devotee of the Blood Owl

Could be, but I thought you said it as well. Oh well, point still stands that it has been a complaint from you or others. I do apologize if you did not say it.

6. Axeraiser

As you pointed out we have a plethora of defensive options, hence why I suggested removing one for an anti equipment option which is needed. I agree there could be more done to merge the Paladin/Shaman/Priests into a more cohesive theme. I am just not sure how to do it.

7. Tarth

Tarth Devotee of the Blood Owl

To boost the other half? Command is getting changed anyway, just saying. If +1dmage and +5hp is that important then there are a lot more issues at work.

8. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Gedden ruined Cardinal with 5 speed. That unit is done until this changes.

TheBulwark likes this.
  9. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

NCT is 8 dmg, I'd like to see him at 4 DEF base. Or possibly reduce his dmg to 6 and increase base def to 5. That was originally his little niche but it was kinda OP since he had 3 def and 3 def upgrade, there was no middle ground and 10 base dmg.

With high def and low dmg, that would help get him into combat to get a Sunder pummel off and he could soak a little dmg along the way.

Alternatively, you could take his base damage down to like 4 or 5, and give him 2 def t3 or 3 def t2, not sure how that would make him costed as Tough is kinda expensive (overpriced?).

Either way, he'd need to stay cheap, 70 or below deployed.

10. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

The above post is how I see paladins "defensive abilities", you'd have things like Bodyguard, base defense which reduce damage taken while standing still. I don't think evasives and dodge type abilities are flavorful outside of command. Paladins are heavily armored. So basically our defenses allow pretty much every opponent of every attack type to attack us, its just that we reduce all of their dmg by a little and use positioning to survive the round and healing to pain their lack of one turn kill.

Lastly, Paladin ranged. Yeah, the Xemplar thing hurt, the reduction in damage of all of our support ranged hurts, leaving AoP carrying the load for ranged champs.

Ranged is just so damn powerful. No two ways about it. (side note: I kinda think disappate should be built into all attacks beyond range 1).

With as many tools and abilities that there are out there to give freedom and movement to ranged champions, there's really no reason to not use them.

The best deck has champ mover/AP supports, dirt cheap tough dmg soakers and powerful ranged, the end.

Without AoP I cannot really see paladins being very viable with base defense and positioning type tactics (phalanx, or extended phalanx).

P.S.: Magnus needs something, he's so damn boring and stupid that it pains my eyeballs. Normally I'd suggest a change here but I think there have been many suggested and you're totally capable of finding a good one. If I'd say anything it would be for him to regain adaptive IS somehow.

11. nico

nico I need me some PIE!

i think devs just complicate his work, why nerf angel ruining a bunch of themes, when the problem here are the maps, not the 7 speed champs, yes angels have intensify, but are a big nora hit, i think the nora price and what angels bring to the table its balanced, what devs want are champ with attack and 2 or 3 habilitys? why nerf this runes, that are good since the begin? change the maps, theres the main problem.... and champs with 7 speed in KF

12. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Angels are undercosted regardless of anything else happening. Maps are also being adjusted.

13. nico

nico I need me some PIE!

rage of the circle its undercosted, how angel of protection its undercosted at 89 nora in a theme with champs over 80 nora like paladins? the problem its in others bgs, like meta, or dwarf with champs under 70 nora, theres angels show all the potential, but on his own theme, its a nora hit

14. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

If you removed the abilities of the Angels, you will see they are extremely efficient. There is a reason they are utilized heavily by almost every faction.

For example, the IS Angel is 50 nora without abilities for 9 DMG, 7 SPD, 2-4 RNG, 2 DEF and 46 HP.

Contrast Priest of Valdac, which is being run a lot (for very different reasons), and he pays 47 nora for 7 DMG, 5 SPD, 2-4 RNG, 3 DEF and 44 HP. The Angel pays JUST 3 nora for +2 DMG, +2 SPD, -1 DEF and +2 HP? Really?

This isn't even taking into account the fact that Intensify gives an absurd amount of stats priced at pre-revamp levels.

15. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Hahaha, this made me lol, but also made me sad a little bit for realising that there are probably a lot of these examples running around.

Woffleet likes this.
  16. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

General Notes:
    Consecrated Earth (CtE):
    One of the things that has always bugged me was the CtE effected Shamans. To me Shamans seemed more as the ritualistic, unholy, "worship the old gods" kind of units and never seemed to fit with the "Holy" theme. Other than Veilwalker and an occasional Favored Nomad they were never really included in CtE decks anyway. I would recommend the healing clause be changed to Paladins, Priests and Knights are healed/cleansed to open the way for future theme development. This one will likely be highly controversial so I want to hear from other IS players about their thoughts.

Branded (Effect): (Taken from Cactaur Crate) - "When a Paladin or Priest makes a basic attack against this champion, the target takes 2 additional fire damage."

Ability Changes:
    Inquisition: 8 Nora (+2 from current)
    - When this champion is deployed and at the end of your turns, the closest opposing champion within 6 spaces becomes Branded for 4 turns. While this champion is in play, opposing champions that are Branded have Faithless.

Mark of Al'Mara: 10 Nora (Same as current) - When this champion successfully damages a champion with a basic attack, that champion is Branded for 4 turns. If the target is already Branded, it becomes Inhibited for 4 turns.

Sanctuary of Hope: 8 Nora (-2 from Current) - While within 4 spaces of the Sanctuary, the AP cost of friendly abilities is reduced by 1 AP. When an friendly Champion uses an ability within 4 spaces of this unit, this unit loses 3 life.

Spell Changes:
    Burning Crusade: 35 Nora (+5 from current) - Target champion gains Fire Aura 3, Mark of Al'Mara and Purging Flames. If the target is a Paladin, you are refunded 10 nora.

Last Stand: 30 Nora (Same as Current) - Target champion gains Final Word.

Champion Changes:
    Inquisitor Magnus

• Bounty Hunter removed from Base
    • Inquisition moved from U2 to Base
    • Resistance: Magical (Rank: 3) moved from U1 to Base
    • Resistance: Magical (Rank 1 and 2) removed from U1
    • U1 Tree changed to: Spellswallower, Adaptive: Ironfist (Default), Council: Spells
    • U2 Tree changed to: Ignorance (Default), Punish, Prestige
    Northern Cross Cardinal
    • Speed from 5 to 6
    • Commander: Paladin removed from Base
    • Sermon added to Base
    Angel of Protection
    • Whatever Sok has in mind.
    Platinum Wing - New ranged threat to replace/supplement angel.
    • Class changed to Paladin
    Crusader - With the CtE nerf I think he can finally get TfB back.
    • Battle Leader removed from Base
    • Thirst for Battle added to Base
    • Trail: Hallowed Ground moved from U2 to Base
    • U2 Tree changed to: Heal Self 1, Heal Self 2 (Default), Heal Self 3
    Ironfist Inquisitor / Inquisitor Isran
    • Declare Hunted removed from Base
    • Sword Breaker added to Base
    Charger Knight - Does this guy have a cost modifier? His Cost seems high.
    •Class changed to Knight (Paladin removed)
    •HP changed to 50 from 48
    •Damage to 12 from 10
    •Speed to 6 from 7
    Bastion the Avenger
    • Class changed to Warrior (Paladin Removed)
    Equipment Changes:
    Hammerheart Platemail
    • Change it. Its dumb.​

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  17. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Your formatting is awesome Mark, and you do write nicely, but some of these suggestions are totally insane. I dont think I need to go over each one and explain why, people with good eyes for balance will point them out fairly quickly.

18. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

As always read everything I say (Or any other FF player for that matter) with the understanding that it has a healthy dose of bias involved.

Pedeguerra likes this.
  19. JaceDragon

I'm still wondering if the fire dmg from Mark of Al'Mara ignore def or not

20. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Currently it does (Or did. Not sure if it does atm). The new branded change likely shouldn't since since its reduced to 2