Cactuar Crate - Ronin Edition

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

Hey Sok, what's your take on Unleash Memories? I've been playing a deck with them and it really is nutty how much nora Keeper of Memories can generate. By mid-game, I've been regularly making 60-100 nora from the ability. It is one thing that the champs make a lot of charges but I do think the problem lies with the ability itself. Little strategy, big reward.

2. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Molten Cloak. Lets make it the UD version of Cloak of Ice.

Cloak of Ice: Equipped champion has Ice Armor and Freezing Aura. If equipped on a champion with Attack: Frost, it also gains +1 SPD.

Current
    Molten Cloak: Equipped champion has Damage Shield: Fire 3, Searing Touch, Trail: Lava, Immunity: Fire, Immunity: Frost and +2 DEF.

New
    Molten Cloak: Equipped champion has Flame Armor and Flame Aura. If equipped on a champion with Attack: Fire, it also gains +1 SPD.

Flame Aura: ???

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  3. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

We already have Tinder Box:

Equipped unit gains Fire Acolyte (Whenever a champion takes fire damage this champion is healed for 2 HP (This does not include damage from Charred) and Fire Aura 3 (At the beginning of your opponent's turns, this unit deals 6 Fire damage to each champion within 2 spaces. This damage ignores DEF). If equipped on a champion with Attack - Fire, it also gains +1 SPD.

Etherielin likes this.
  4. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

It's different. The only similarity is the +1spd.

5. Sokolov

Well, since I designed both Cloak of Ice and Tinder Box, I will tell you were intended to be the counterparts to each other already.

But yes, you could have other Fire-based abilities on a Tinder Box template for the Molten Cloak.

6. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Why not make them trully counterparts? Make Cloak of Ice give Frost Accolyte ! One can hope, right.

7. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Interesting. Should Molten Cloak become the UD version of ST's Cloak of Ice. What would Tinderbox become.

I do like the fact they are similar yet different. Either way your gaining +1 spd, but I thought the differences were enough to make a proper choice.

Molten Cloak

Flame Armor
    Flame Aura (Its not Fire Aura, I have no clue what it does yet. Maybe Charred 2, and Defile?)
    +1pd (If you have Attack: Fire)

Tinder Box

Fire Acolyte
    Fire Aura
    +1 Spd ( If you have Attack Fire)

Personally I would like access to both options when making a bg. One seems more Berserker, the other seems more Bruiser.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  8. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

My intentions were to make it Grimlic's equip of sorts. Similar to Chillshard. But I got side tracked by Cloak of Ice. Honestly, I wouldnt mind a Frost Acolyte equip. But not on Cloak of Ice. Price hike much? I am fairly certain that is the only reason Tinder is 45 Nora.

9. MovnTarget

MovnTarget Forum Royalty

I believe the removal of upgrades was for swarm summons.

At least I think that was what happened with the summon changes.

10. MovnTarget

MovnTarget Forum Royalty

I believe everyone hated pets, so pets got nerfed. Then everyone hated swarms, so the got nerfed, etc.

SPiEkY likes this.
  11. Ujelly

Ujelly I need me some PIE!

I like them with upgrades I think it makes them cooler

12. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

True.
    Also, still waiting for that Wake the Dead change to spawn summons.

SPiEkY likes this.
  13. Sokolov

Summons having upgrades are a symptom of the system which has the following 2 properties:
    • Upgrades are REQUIRED to be listed
      • This isn't strictly true, but can cause issues/bugs if not listed in some instances
    • ALL champions have upgrades, even at Level 1 (i.e. default upgrades)
    Thus, even Level 1 Summoned units has default upgrades. Note that both of these were also true pre-revamp.

However, this only applies to abilities and effects that deploy an actual, database-referenced champion, such as the Rusty Firecase from Chuck Firecase.

Many older deploy effects such as the Summon Imp ability, isn't summoning a real champ at all. It's using the template from a real champ, and applying modifications to it. In these cases, the summoned unit may be assigned different stats and even abilities. In other words, what it has are hard-coded into the ability logic.

This type of implementation is being phased out in favor of summoning actual champions listed in the database for two reasons:
    • It fixes the interaction with re-deployment effects such as Blink, which can have unintended consequences when used on these "faked" champions
    • Hard-coding values is generally considered bad practice
      • if you are into programming, you will know why
      • a good example of why this is bad is how some summoned units had the old SPD/AP system after the original SPD revamp, so we had summoned units with 11 SPD (which is equivalent to 7 SPD) running around for awhile
    For design, fundamentally, it allows easier access to modifying the summoned champion's capabilities, without having to touch code. It also means such champions can be released to players as LE, so they are available as cool prizes/rewards.

~

I actually don't remember when/if upgrades were being removed from summoned units - but based on what I know (what I typed above), it seems unlikely that were ever a thing. Rather, some abilities were being created that deployed fake champions that, relative to their assumed counterparts, had fewer abilities. Alternatively, other things like Chuck Freeze Bug being changed to summon a different version of the champ, but even in these cases they still have default upgrades.

In terms of balance, it really doesn't matter if a unit has abilities on base or upgrades as long as the designer is aware of them when it comes down to it. But if every summoned unit has a DB-entry associated with it, it's fairly easy to fiddle with that stuff.

So in the case of the Myx Drone, if we did want the summoned versions to be weaker, the proper way of doing is to make a copy of the Myx Drone in the database, and start summoning that one instead, rather than artificially changing the way the rules work in terms of champions and upgrades.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
    Etherielin and Authyrtyr like this.
  14. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Similar to Thor the Boar being summoned by Ayla instead of a regular Boar?

15. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

In regards to mandatory upgrades when you say that bugs arise when they aren't there are you not including by just omitting that section of the XML or do you have a NULL ability in the database you can reference?

In regards to the second point about not hard coding values don't you have to hard code values to define tons of abilities? What's the difference in putting say 80% damage and remove ability 1 & 3 from the summon as values in the ability XML/DB entry?

16. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Most recent summons from pre-revamp had 4 upgrades of Abash. Or whateverwas the current first ability when listed alphabetically.

17. claydude5

claydude5 The King of Potatoes

Arrow Eater is 14 nora

Elusive is 15 nora

Why?

18. Nea

Nea I need me some PIE!

Elusive cancels non-damaging attacks, including loss of life, Arrow Eater doesn't.

19. Atherhog

Atherhog I need me some PIE!

but can be bypassed with precision, arrow eater can not.

20. Nea

Nea I need me some PIE!

And yet you can still hex, curse, knockout or trigger a Bounty Hunger on an Arrow Eater (I bet I'm missing some attacks that trigger an effect on non-damaging successful attack). Different abilities with different counters have (very slightly) different costs. Most of the differences are pretty incomparable, so the judgement on the costing is going to be rather subjective.

SPiEkY likes this.