No seriously, NKD is silly - 8 nora

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BurnPyro, Feb 27, 2015.

1. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

It's next to impossible to 1v1 a NKD champ, even in a 1v2 it can contest fonts for ages. You can let it sit on it's AP for ages and require 3 attacks every round to even start taking damage. I mean, 8 nora for such a solid defense mechanism? And don't give me that "stun or paralyzed" crap. I don't summon big hammers from the sky nor to my champs throw around stuns. I just don't have any consist way to deal with NKD in any of my bgs. Let alone for 8 nora.

Jakei shadowstriker is 63 nora for crying out loud. It has has stealth/shadow shift and NKD. For 63 nora. Don't mind thet 50+ hp health pool.

Good thing bombs and cones didn't all get nerfed or I'd have more counterplay.

I don't like that the ability is kept down significantly in cost on the premise that you should just have one of the counters to it. Guess what, I don't. 8 nora is ridiculously mindblowing for the potential of this ability. It's 2 ap to stop an attack, proccing 3 times per turn. It's cost needs to either be jacked up significantly to accuratly reflect the defensive prowess it brings or be changed to 3 AP per attack blocked. Gameplay where you just park a NKD champ in a font forever and do nothing with it, is stupid. There's nothing strategic about putting your champ there knowing the opponent needs at least 2 or 3 champs to deal with it. If you can invest that much to go for a champ in a side font you've won long ago anyway. If not, you're probably going to get overrun elsewhere.

TLDR: NKD brings too much for not enough nora. 8 nora is laughable and the suggested counterplay is not available in such quantities that it warrants it's low cost. Change the cost significantly or change the AP used to block attacks to 3 AP from 2 AP.

2. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

I particularily agree with this statement:

NKD is the reason why my favorite AoE "spell" in the game is Echo Chamber. I dread the idea of an Iron Will NKD champion.

Speaking of which (and sorry for derailing), WHY was Distracted immunity added to Iron Will? I suspect the reason is so that heroes can't get their abilities shut down. So you know that when you deploy a hero you won't be impeded from doing their cool stuff. I could be wrong though.

3. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

Lel you better pray ppl don't start running jakei starseers in nohkan do bgs. I never noticed that immunity to distract was added to iron will or rather i did notice but i didnt pay much attention to it.

4. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

Yeah, I'm aware that Prestige provides easy access to Iron Will in NKD bgs. I'm honestly surprised Starseer is not auto in those bgs.

I am pretty sure it has to do with the coding of how conditions are applied from equipments. Distracted from Shimmering Flower stays as long as the equipment and cannot be cleansed for example. I think the interaction you described (or lack of thereof) is a bug, but could be WAI.

5. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

No, it's deploy order. @Moles get on that Bane Shift.

6. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

While weird, Iron Will not removing existing Distracted is technically WAI.

Basically, abilities like that are coded like the following:
    • If the champion WOULD get X, they don't get X
    There is no clause in the code, for "when this ability comes into play, check for these conditions and remove them."

Note that this also applies to thinks like Possessed from Iron Will or Chilled from Immunity - Frost.

The text for these aren't too consistent, and leaves room for ambiguity.

In the case of Iron Will, it uses the fairly generic verb "be":
    • This champion cannot be Charmed, Possessed or Dominated.
    While Immunity: Frost uses the slightly more precise "become":
    • This unit may not become Chilled or Frozen.
    But they work the same way, and prevent the ADDITION of the conditions, but does not REMOVE them.

~

Since this is PoxNora, I am sure you can find something like this that works differently, because it was deemed a bug and "fixed" but the "rule" wasn't applied to everything else.

And honestly, that is where a lot of the inconsistencies come from. Imagine I took the Distracted thing as a bug report, and we fixed it... now it would work differently than Possessed, which would then also be a bug... and so on, until every instance of this was changed.

soulmilk likes this.
  7. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Regardless, NKD is too strong.

Baskitkase, Netherzen and SPiEkY like this.
  8. heroex7777

heroex7777 Lord of ST

i've played a nkd bg based on majestic frozen and throwing ice under them. Most of the nkd champs like ferren and jakei are subpar. Only shadowstriker is overefficient

9. heroex7777

heroex7777 Lord of ST

NKD wrecks 1v1's but in a group fight against lets say 3 champs with NKD, they either do no damage to you or two of them may have 6 ap and the last with only 5 ap be it from movement or attacking, you focus on it and it takes damage. NKD champs either engage really slowly or have no ap left after running in.

multiple NKD's aren't very useful

NKD+ranged works well. Sit the nkd in front and throw crap over him.

10. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Are you serious right now?

Baskitkase, learnedone and claydude5 like this.
  11. Entrepidus

Entrepidus I need me some PIE!

NKD isn't as strong as many claim. It requires you to change the way you play which, in and of itself, isn't a bad thing. Players that refuse to do so suffer for it.

With that in mind, it's also a double-edged sword that can be used against the NKD player. Being unable to control when your opponent drains your AP is no small matter. NKD BG's are typically forced into a defensive posture because smart players will intentionally throw misses at certain NKD champs to burn AP and prevent double taps in response. If you're actively applying a controlled drain on the AP of your opponent's champions, they're going to have a hard time power turning. Also, NKD BG's aren't very mobile given that moving costs AP. Once in position, it's a sure bet that champ isn't going to dance around too much. They're also rather predictable given how much they rely on NKD, itself.

If anyone is having problems facing NKD, drop a BG list. I am comfortable enough with every faction that I can point out options worth considering.

Woffleet and Lushiris like this.
  12. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

It saddens me how all 3 ST players on the council defend NKD.

13. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

Its good to see posts from people defending NKD.
    Good indicator of who we should take seriously.

Alakhami and Baskitkase like this.
  14. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

same with people defending unholy tomb

chris0024 likes this.
  15. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Zealots, everywhere.

Netherzen likes this.
  16. Skeezick

Skeezick Forum Royalty

they should take me on council,id nerf all factions
    and id bufff stitched so hard you would cry

Rokkushun and Netherzen like this.
  17. Molosse

Molosse I need me some PIE!

You see something similar with Unstoppable, it prevents paralyze/stun but does not cleanse paralyze/stun.

18. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Oh my bad, nothing is OP if I get 3 champs to focus fire it. Good thing straight up 1v1s actually NEVER happen. That'd make you look stupid.

Every SL bg. More specificly:

Skeezick
    Draksar
    Dragons
    Myx

Let's go. If you dare say I should dragonfear all of them, I'll beat you up.

claydude5, SPiEkY and Netherzen like this.
  19. Molosse

Molosse I need me some PIE!

You should, uh, Dragonfear.... All of them?

IMAGIRL likes this.
  20. ghklf

ghklf I need me some PIE!

Guess he will say, run two Aspect of Violence and use Furious Attacks to deal with...

or Snogvie the Antbear or Skeezick Drummer with Flourish or 3 champions in SL with Precision?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015