How to take IS back to competetive from bottom tier

Discussion in 'Ironfist Stronghold' started by Dresnar20365988, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

That is so strange to me btw, I'm having trouble imagining how to make the most use out of it. Perhaps keep stuff from meleeing your ranged Wings?
    I've been curious about your Sigil Wing deck list for a long time.

2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I feel like you missed the part of my post where I said I had already lowered the cost of Barricade to 35. And because I think the combo does need to cost what it currently costs, I added the nora to Snowburst (which is functionally not a nerf to the deck in most situations).

3. Sokolov

A few scenarios:
    1. Stopping them from getting a font (this is hard to make worth it at 45 nora, and I am a little concerned at 35 nora that it becomes too efficient for this use, but I am willing to try it)
      1. Note that this isn't a 1 turn thing usually, it can often take them several turns to break through, at which point the spell has ate a bunch of AP and gave me a bunch of font nora
    2. I engage on their ranged in melee and close off their retreat
    3. Split their units by separating them with Barricades so they can't support each other
    4. Works great with Wings of Glory because Swoop, which I sometimes use to close, or dash in over the barricade after #2 or #3
    So yea, I am definitely on board with making Barricade a more common part of the IS arsenal, but I do feel the effect has also been underestimated by some players (mostly due to the spell's cost).

Sirius likes this.
  4. Dresnar20365988

Dresnar20365988 Devotee of the Blood Owl

I got that. I'm looking forward to using it. Thanks a ton. :)

5. Sokolov

As I said back then, the ticket to fix Macadamize had been in the system for months/years and it just happened to get picked up by a new guy learning the ropes. By the time you knew about it the nerf was already in. It wasn't like I decided to nerf it. I think that was when Corpse was still in Pox anyway, so it wouldn't have been my call. I was only explaining to you what happened.

In any case, we are generally moving away from global effects on spells, but this could possibly be an exception. I'll think about it.

Can you elaborate on what the ways around Impervious are? I feel like it might be better off adding Shielded and Impenetrable as well to make it REALLY Impervious.

In general, I think to get you what you are looking for in terms of game-changing effects, we need to think more powerful rather than cheaper.

Another part of spells feeling like they cost too much is that the cost formula revamp made the meta champs leaner, thus spells are, as a ratio, less effective. It doesn't matter if nothing's changed except that champs are 5 nora cheaper, you'd get the same type of feeling/effect.

6. Sokolov

You keep saying this, and I understand it's your opinion, but believe me when I say I've heard this from dozens of people in every faction over the years.

Basically, everyone thinks their faction gets it worse than everyone else.

7. Dresnar20365988

It can be surprisingly strong at times. It eats up your opponents ap to get through it. It allows you to control positioning. Add in forge hammers for some synergy and its pretty effective. Its one of those spells that solves unexpected problems in unexpected ways.

Most memorable for me I once locked a menalaous in a corner of the board that was sniping me and moving out of range of reprisal.

8. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Just keep in mind that macademize creating rock globally would be a huge buff to surge rock.

9. Sokolov

He's talking about Domain: Rock being granted globally, not creating Rock everywhere.

10. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Thanks for the clarification.

11. Dresnar20365988

I do understand bias and factionalism. You really haven't heard a peep out of me in quite awhile regarding IS. The wing change started out very positive for me. I really enjoy their style of play. After playing them a bit they were underpowered and I posted my suggestions. From then to now the power of IS has been toned down to much. I've been making comments since then. The comments are based on personal experience. You have posted that you do agree with me that IS is lacking a bit right now. That's what I'm talking about. Finding out what that bit is and fixing it.

I'm running a few accounts right now. I'm farming the dallies. Its been a bit since I've played as I've been traveling. To get my daily wins for ranked I don't run IS. I run minos or FS. The reason I don't run IS is because they aren't as strong IMO. Its as simple as that. To complete the dallies I go the most efficient route. In this case its not really about factionalism and more about the efficiency of completing the dallies. Prior to the last two cycles of nerfs I was also using IS. My skill doesn't change but I have very different win rates with the different factions I'm playing. Its this experience that has led me to believe there is an issue.

12. Dresnar20365988

Yes that would be a good fix for impervious. Right now there are several options around the spell. FW of course, drown, vp, dispel, hex for example.

That would be a great fix actually. Then it would be worth a 1x slot in a lot of decks and would continue the defensive playstyle of IS.

13. Rapidice

Rapidice I need me some PIE!

I think Spare Parts has a great effect for what it does, and synergizes with Melt Down. The problem is, the entire theme revolves around keeping your constructs alive. It's like giving Repair to zombies, they'll never run it, because they want champions to die.

Bestow effect is good, imagine bestowing a Stone Dragon, now your enemy need to care about who's gonna receive the 2 resistances it has as upgrade. Imagine bestowing Crushing Blow from stone colossus to a ranged unit, etc.

In my opinion, the spell is fine, just overcosted, and at 25 nora I'll sure run 1x in my Struxs.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  14. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Super champ enabler, please no.

15. Paladin

Paladin The King of Potatoes

Put sunder back on the Dwarven Axe Guard and I'll love you forever :^)

16. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

I see that Iajab is top ten.
    Clearly IS is bad.

Edit: by this I mean no offense at all to Iajab, who I respect, its just that we say factions are bad, etc., etc., then we ask for buffs. Then Sok implements it, and boom, guess what - more imbalance to the game! Yay! You guys should focus on getting things toned down, not buffed.

17. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

I would support love for Axeguard and Defender based on their tenure in the faction, but I'd rather see them come up to a 90% position instead of taking a metapunch to the face and be lol2xlol.

Pedeguerra likes this.
  18. Rapidice

Rapidice I need me some PIE!

Totally support this. I love both Axe Guard and Defender.

Defender could use some love by changing the first upgrade path. Defensive stance it's a wasted upgrade. Also, he is a 5 spd melee unit whitout gap closer. Maybe adding Opportunistic or Ready to help him a little. As a Bodyguard unit, NC Militia does the job way better, and brings more to the table with Enduring Aura and Restraining Aura.

19. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

new thread prob.

20. fattyy2k

fattyy2k I need me some PIE!

have you been following things? they have been "toning down" alot. Sok has done a great job with that and is still working on a lot more. He is paying attention to more than "player base A wants rune/faction X buffed for reason Y." its a game therefor it needs to appeal to the player base. they are always taking in ideas from players but Sok has said that balance is a big focus right now. He doesnt just buff or nerf on request. have faith friend