The Poxnora Spotlight: BurnPyro

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by darklord48, May 22, 2015.

1. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

[​IMG]
    Full list: http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/the-poxnora-spotlight-archive-and-requestlist.5591/

Today's interview is @BurnPyro. Pyro has been the most vocal player on the forums. I used to think he was primarily trolling, but I've come to realize that he is actually doing a lot to balance the game.

What is your name or nick name in real life?
    Jeroen. People tend to call me Burn because it's somewhat difficult to pronounce. Funny thing, I used to prefer being called Pyro way back. I also hated BP because of the connection to the oil company. But people didn't listen and here we are.

What is the origin of your game/forum name(s):

Before I used random names with numbers behind them, but those started to annoy me. I used names from books and movies for a while, but that felt so unoriginal. The quest for my own name started. I liked names that were made up by combining two random words at the time. SuperNova was taken, so I made a name with similar words. Too hot, hot damn.

Did you just quote Uptown Funk?
    I make a dragon wanna retire, man!

Where are you from and where do you live currently?

Belgium and Belgium. I don't have specific hopes and dreams to ever live somewhere special, Belgium isn't too bad.

If the beer was that good where I lived, I wouldn't move either. What's your favorite beer?
    Oh god! It all depends on situation and what you want from the beer. If we're talking your regular 'drink when you come home from work ' kinda beer, I really like Maes and Jupiler. Not too much alcohol in it, great taste and you can just drink a few without feeling much of it. If we're talking beers that you drink when enjoying a great meal or when sitting outside and enjoying the sun, Duvel is my favorite. It's just heaven in a bottle. Oh and you drink beer cold. Water dripping of the bottle cold. I don't want none of that sun warmed garbage.

What do you do for a living, and do you enjoy it?

Currently going through the tests to become a police inspector. I'm almost done! In the meantime I work temporary contracts, mostly manual labor. The temporary jobs are physically intensive

How old are you?

22 - Taylor Swift for another week.

You've made a couple pop music references. Do you listen to music a lot? Is there anything you would recommend others check out?
    Uhm, I guess I listen to my fair share of pop music. Radios on pretty much whenever, except when I'm gaming. And then I have youtube or similar going. I don't really have recommendations, I listen to pretty much everything. If people are interested in something new, hardstyle can be... refreshing. It's a mix between techno and dance that's pretty popular in Belgium and The Netherlands. A great artist is DJ Coone, try D.W.X. and Universal Language. Those are some pretty hyped songs.

How did you come across Pox Nora?

I got bored and typed in "massive online strategy game" in google. Ended up on Pox. Probably the most random way anyone has ever found this game.

How long have you played?

I used to play really casually in 2007. Training grounds and campaigns only on a couple different accounts. Started playing ranked in 2010. I used to play on a really old pc that was incredibly laggy while playing pox. Even deploying was a challenge. Eventually I got my own laptop and started getting more into it. Summer holidays started and I basically started rocking out on Pox. It was awesome.

Are there any players that aren't around anymore that you would love to see come back?
    AwayAway, Sepulcher, Ryvirath, Kthx, Kithros, Algalon/Shazara, Gaverion, GorthaurMe, TazerX, TazerX's brother (I forgot his name, played SL), Aragorn, CorpsE!, Molecl, Soremist,.. The list goes on. So many more to mention. The nostalgia is strong in this one.

What is your favorite faction and why?

Well uh... KF is pretty fun and stuff. Guess everyone knows SL is my thing though. I used to offrace a lot as SP, but it's been a while. Sometimes I randomly pick up broken factions like FS and FW if I get bored of SL and want to get some free wins.

Bored with SL? I never thought I'd hear you say that. Which faction do you feel is the most broken right now?
    I've just played so much of SL, it get's old sometimes. I get boring of the runes, or I just don't want to play SL in the current meta. Especially when three main themes got hit pretty hard in the last patch. Dragons are somewhat amusing me for the moment. Uhm, IS I guess. Maybe UD. Both seem quite silly depending on the draws or matchup.

What is your favorite food?

I absolutely love spaghetti bolognese. If you ever go to Belgium, we have these little shops dedicated to making french fries and they're awesome! No really, McDonalds fries are actually garbage once you've had the real stuff. Trust me, they're godlike.

Favorite part of Pox Nora and why?
    Playing the actual game. As a chess fanatic, the strategy in a game with so many runes is inredibly engrossing. I don't really care for combinations or tricks or synergy or anything like that. I just want to outplay my opponent with better decision making and great positioning. Ironically I hate calculating exact numbers and often just guesstimate, which leads to a lot of frustration at time. I do calculate a lot when offracing, because the likes of SP/FS/FW have a lot of spot damage and reward calculation exact kills to gain a lot of board control, especially in the early game. SL relies more on your midgame powerspikes with the themes and powerspells. Pox is weird like that.

What is the first rune you remember seeing and immediately wanting to have one?

Oh man, no idea. I remember that the first exo I got in a pack was Valdac, which was totally awesome since I already loved SL. It gave me the push I needed to start playing IS.

What is your best tip to give to new players?

Join my guild, ask for advice on the forums and just play a ton of games. The best way to learn the game is accept that you'll lose a lot in the beginning, but use that experience to get familiar with the runes of each faction. Learn what the basic tricks of each faction are and what to look out for, Pox on a basic level is surprisingly easy to grasp.
    Ingame? Deploying champs wins games. Don't wast too much money on equips/relics/spells in the early game, trust me. You want that board control and pressure from the start.

Is there a rune that you feel isn't utilized as much as it could be?

Is this the part where I mention a rune that I don't want to see nerfed? Uhm. Vex or Varu Dragon. They're totally legit. If however you'd be interested in running a mediore rune that everyone runs, Skithmaw Hunter is like okay. I guess. Maybe.

Besides Poxnora, do you have any additional hobbies?

Used to play a lot of chess competitively. The usual music/books/movies/series. Current other games I play: CSGO, League, Skyrim, some hearthstone. Then whatever my friends come up with, doesn't involve a lot of drinking though (but you're from Belgium though?! - Yeah, none of my friends drink so it would be pretty awkward if I got wasted on the daily, though somehow we do get Cobra Spittertails/shots sometimes. It's a weird worlds I guess).

The forums filtered something you said as Cobera Spitterails, what was it?
    'any beverage that contains two or more ingredients if at least one of them contains alcohol' - a tail of roosters

Is there anything else about yourself that you would like to share with the community?

Uhm. I feel, because I spam the forums with my nonsense so much, that a lot of info about me is already out there. I like to goof around mostly, the odd times when I'm serious usually involve nerfs to other factions or buffs to my own.

Goyo, Pipster, DarkJello and 3 others like this.
  2. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

You can blame @Jib for refusing to do it himself

JellyBerry and SPiEkY like this.
  3. stayflyazn

stayflyazn Devotee of the Blood Owl

woulddoagain/10

4. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

c.oc.ktails is what he said, the forum filters the word c.oc.k

Best

5. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

giggity

6. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

66,5kg

7. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

Murica

DarkJello likes this.
  8. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

That's 146 pounds for Americans, or 10 stone 6 pounds for the Brits.

9. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

SAVED EDITS FOR LATER

10. MovnTarget

MovnTarget Forum Royalty

Too Belgian Did Not Read.

SaintKiwi likes this.
  11. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Sorry, I can only be bothered to read spotlights about current NWO members.

Sirius likes this.
  12. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

Glaurun was tazer's brother

13. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

He ran away with @mw24 to form their own guild, where they can argue without interrupting everyone else.:p

14. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I don't speak non-universal because scrubs.
    IF YOU WERE GOOD TO ME I WOULDNT HAVE LEFT IN THE FIRST PLACE
    But racist though.
    GlaurunGod

much ty

darklord48 likes this.
  15. Pattn199

Pattn199 I need me some PIE!

I'm so proud :'D <3

BurnPyro likes this.
  16. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

I think you missed a couple dozen zeros at the end there.

darklord48 likes this.
  17. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

Lol! "Welp, I just got Valdac; time to go play IS."

I guess you and Valdac have always had a rocky relationship.

18. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Stuff like that is exactly why I don't do any editing on what I receive.

Sirius likes this.
  19. Pattn199

Pattn199 I need me some PIE!

66.5000000000000000000000000kg? that doesn't make sense

20. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

Notice how he put a comma instead of a period? I think that was intentional (either that or it was a Freudian slip).

Pattn199 likes this.
  21. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

My humor level = too advanced.

Because I love playing IS and all that.