Prerevamp Pox

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SaintKiwi, May 30, 2015.

1. SaintKiwi

SaintKiwi I need me some PIE!

I liked the game before the revamp. Is that weird? Are there others that miss the game the way it was 1 year ago? I could play anything in ranked. A lot of stuff was runnable. Now champs feel like a bunch of HP running around. Discuss.

2. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Yes, this is weird, because it was godawful. You are falling victim to nostalgia, your sentiment is incorrect. Much more stuff is runnable now than before.

Paladin and Goyo like this.
  3. WhatTheHex

WhatTheHex The King of Potatoes

Ah yes, I remember at some point that everyone was running goodstuff FW. oh the nostalgia.

4. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Oh yeah

Gedden's revamp was the best thing that ever happened to Pox.... If you want to see it burn.

5. WhatTheHex

WhatTheHex The King of Potatoes

The second they gave spell-kaiser defiling touch I knew we were doomed they pretty much proved that they had no idea wtf they were doing.

6. Revengercm

Revengercm I need me some PIE!

I liked the revamp. The problem is that now champs have too few abilities and makes the game way more simple.

SaintKiwi likes this.
  7. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Uhm

Then why did you like the revamp? The game gott really bland because of it

SaintKiwi likes this.
  8. Revengercm

Revengercm I need me some PIE!

It's easier to balance that way sadly.

9. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

yeah, I really miss that game we'd all stopped playing.

SPiEkY likes this.
  10. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Did we stop playing cause it was bad or because it was just keeping up the servers for 30 people for two year?

11. badgerale

A bit of both i think.

I think people forget what having 10+ abilities per champ was actually like.

SPiEkY and Fentum like this.
  12. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

There were upsides and downsides.

Playing with/against 60 nora meatballs isn't amazing either.

13. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

There were some good aspects of the revamp. Stuff got slower. That's not to say a few things didn't also speed up. The problem was the endless directionless random changes to champs by Gedden.

That being said, the team since then has been doing much to change that, and do so within the bounds of a more balanced pox. We can all make snide remarks about Pox balance but if you've been there, and even Burn has had his hand at balance, you know it's simply an impossible task. They are trying to empty the ocean with a bucket by throwing water up on the beach in a monsoon.

So kudos to @Sokolov @Moles and @theothermolesguy for doing well with what they've been given.

Alot more needs to be done but we asked Gedden to vacate the captains chair and hire people, he did exactly that. So thank you Gedden for that wisdom in the face of your own pride.

For now, it's time to let these guys work. I want to see this trio with Pox for a year then look at what's going on.

And don't badger them about expansion releases. Know that revenue needs to be regular and certain if you want a Pox to log into, especially with 3 recent hires.

@OP, what did you like about prerevamp? My guess is that same feeling is present in different runes. Stuff has no more HP than it did, amount of abilities per release and per meta champ are level, within the spirit of a simplified pox. Be specific so I can respond. Leave the general random posts to MW and the AlphaAsshat crew.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
    SPiEkY, Bondman007, Makorov and 9 others like this.
  14. badgerale

Sure there are pros and cons, and some people will prefer more or less complexity - for me the current pox seems both more enjoyable and more sustainable, and i think most players agree.

SPiEkY likes this.
  15. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I don't mind either of them, I just dislike certain aspects of both.

16. avichaif

avichaif Devotee of the Blood Owl

I think u wrong, if u was right the numbers of players was need to go up, but this is not what happened in this game in the last years

17. LoganMkv

LoganMkv I need me some PIE!

This. The false assumption that complexity has anything to do with new players resulted in huge decrease in game diversity and nothing more.
    Prerevamp it was possible to start with any champ, now we have clear distinction between early and lategame champs.
    Prerevamp comebacks with swarm and stuff were common, now we have snowball in vast majority of cases.
    Prerevamp lots of decks had huge variety, now we have limited amount of clearly superior champs.
    Pox still has no competition and is still much better than any tactics game around, but for me personally the game value dropped significantly — now I feel like playing not for fun, but only as much as I need to test released/buffed stuff.

18. badgerale

It's going to be pretty hard to prove conclusively any link between the simplification which happened in the revamp and the amount of players which have joined/returned since. There are so many other factors involved such as the failings of the tutorial/nux system and the non existant advertising.

All I can say is that from the game design articles/videos I've seen it is a pretty established concept that complexity is a barrier to entry.

19. LoganMkv

LoganMkv I need me some PIE!

Complexity by itself can't be good or bad. It's only meaningful in context of learning curve and complexity/diversity ratio.

For example mortal kombat is more complex than pox or eve if you want to play it competitively — you need to learn shtload of framedata and make decisions in less than a second — but it's also totally playable by mashing buttons drunk with friends.
    Or if a sim game requires you to operate 50 buttons in order to achieve exactly same result that would be possible with 5 — that's unnecessary complexity, while in pox additional abilities actually add more diversity than complexity.

20. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Even though I like Baskitbro's post a lot and agree with most of it, including the part of letting people do their job first then bashing later, this post is exactly what I think of Pox these days.