djinn?

Discussion in 'Shattered Peaks' started by drathys, Jun 11, 2015.

1. drathys

drathys I need me some PIE!

hi guys
    feeling a bit stale in pox and wanting to change my faction for a while. always thought djinn were cool with their interesting skills and mechanics. I don't necessarily want a pure Djinn BG but certainly one based around them. I don't want top tier (as im crap anyway) but would like the potential to win a few games. is this possible before I spend my poxbox points?

2. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

Iv seen few players run elemental SP/ST bg in ranked before,worked very well and had quite a few djinns.

3. Tricky1

Tricky1 I need me some PIE!

yea that's what it's going to have to be. The only thing djinns are outside of hyienid flavor is elementals which have odly great support with zemi and zyphor. It's just a bunch of silly stuff but go really well with elemental as a whole. Because they're always support runes you have a complete set splitting with ST. You have the tanks the support and the ranged beaters. It won't look pretty but it's something.

4. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

Unfortunately, djinn kinda suck in FF SP, except for Ifrit situationally

5. drathys

drathys I need me some PIE!

thanks for the help, will look at the ST/SP split. been trying a fire UD/SP split at the minute with fire eater and moga cannon, pretty fun if I can get it to work...

6. vipoid

vipoid I need me some PIE!

Why's that?

7. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

Dao isn't a threat and can be dealt with easily by range. Dew and Marid are just overcosted. Ifrit is okay because spot Berserker can be very useful and he has Immunity Physical which can make him hard to kill for certain themes.

8. Ifem21

Ifem21 The King of Potatoes

They are not that good. I like to run Nids without them, and find they much better this way. Try with ST elementals, or one Ifrit, like @Bellagion said.

9. Raikan

Raikan I need me some PIE!

Pox has tried at least two combinations of hyaenid/djinn abilities and none of them have been received that favorably. I believe this is because there is a fundamental costing issue here that can't be designed around. Hyaenids have dogpile on base, increasing their costs. In order for that cost to be worthwhile, a player has to have as many hyaenids on the board as possible. This means building a deck with mainly hyaenids and building a deck with lower champion costs (resulting in more champion deploys over a game, more individual attacks and therefore more benefit from dogpile). Interspersing Djinn reduces the overall effectiveness of hyaenids with dogpile, but doesn't reduce their overall cost, putting the deck at a disadvantage. The grant abilities do not (and cannot) fix this tension.

Here are some ideas that might resolve it:
    (1) Increase the strength of each djinn based on debuffs (or perhaps just dogpile). This could be increased damage on attacks to champions with debuffs (which synergizes well with slag slop and state of confusion and allows Djinn to deliver a finishing blow); increased abilities based on champions with debuffs in a certain area (ala spur; this would allow for units like Dao with high defensive abilities but low baseline damage to be more useful); or allow a Djinn to "grow" each turn that a debuff is applied to a champion near it (which is a mechanic that hyaenids and SP don't really have much of; it also synergizes well with the debuff/dot based playstyle of hyaenids).

(2) I've also always thought that a "possession" type interaction between hyaenids and djinn might be thematically appropriate and fun. Conceptually, Djinn could fight independently (as they do now) or choose to "possess" nearby hyaenids, boosting their stats and emerging upon the death of the hyaenid (perhaps with the hyaenids upgraded abilities or dots or enhanced stats) or perhaps using/causing the deaths of hyaenids to summon extra djinn to this plane. It would probably be pretty complicated to program, and a lot of design effort would be required to think about balancing and cost issues. Because of that, it's probably not worth it, but it could address the dogpile issue if the summoned/emerging djinn gained dogpile, both races, and some enhanced stats as compensation for a tempo hit.