Video Games

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by IMAGIRL, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I'd have to disagree. It's pretty different compared to Civ and we shouldn't really compare it to Civ.

I'd call Age of Wonders III a variant on Heroes of Might and Magic with a more tactical combat system, and less emphasis on city/town building.

The Tactical elements are good, and fun... for single player. If you have any intention of playing multiplayer, be prepared to do something else for awhile while your friends are doing their tactical combat.

Also, you will quickly find that the tactical combat is pretty broken/exploitable. Many spells and combinations of spells/units create crazy scenarios and "I win" combos, especially for whichever player is a bit ahead on the spell curve. Of course, this is only a problem if you are playing MP. If you are playing single player, it probably doesn't matter.

If you like HOMM, King's Bounty, etc. then AoW III is probably worth a shot, just don't expect it to be Civ (for better or for worse).

2. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Trailer for an upcoming game. Perception. You play as a blind woman discovering the secrets of a house from what I've observed.

Leadrz likes this.
  3. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

I'd buy it for a doller

4. Hekwit

Hekwit Devotee of the Blood Owl

well. I'm devotes to two games.

The Binding of Isaac/The binding of isaac:Rebirth

Dakrest Dungeon (still unfinished ;/)

Every run is different in both games, you can spend hundreds hours on it and you not get tired..

5. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Hm? I dislike HoMM quite a bit, and I like AoW III. HoMM is flat and simplistic.

As for broken combos, there's always a counter somewhere, and if you have to forge a bunch of resist items. I tried crutching on a Spell that raised arandom undead unit each turn, and my opponent keeps dispelling it. I'd rather say it is about figuring out which combo works against which.

6. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

I think he's referring to combos where you make all your units flying then do global dmg to all grounded units, or some such variant of immunity + global. but those seem to be on their radar and its getting patched regularly. But anyway, if youre looking for a multiplayer experience all in a single sitting, I would think RTS is the more appropriate genre. You miss out on half of a 4x game when you pare it down enough to make multiplayer happen. imo.

7. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I could see that, but I was mostly saying that HOMM is a much closer cousin than Civ is, relatively speaking.

~

In terms of spells and stuff... even something like Swap Locations can be fairly game deciding. But as I said, this is a multiplayer problem.

In general, yea, it's true, 4X isn't great for Multiplayer, tho certain ones, like Endless Space, and Civ V, are fairly good for MP, at least with my group. And there is no way you can do it in a single sitting, so we don't try.

8. Morfeas

Morfeas I need me some PIE!

Bought it (was on sale too!), played 5 hours; what seems to bother me mostly is the combat; terrain looks ugly and unnatural and you cant decide where each unit will be placed at in the beginning (aka tactics phase).

9. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Bought the Age of Wonders franchise. I expect good things, Ragic's right, the map is gorgeous.

Leadrz likes this.
  10. Ragic

I expect the first time you do a 3v3 stack siege battle you'll come around.

11. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

What do you mean by "unfinished"? Haven't played it in a month or two -- some patch add a ton of content?

12. Boozha

By the way, finally won the game after summoning a Grim Reaper tactical strike team and invoking death on some of those Shadow's bums. Could have gotten "for whom the bell tolls", dammit

13. Morfeas

Morfeas I need me some PIE!

How annoying is it that I can't access the load game menu from within a battle -.-

14. Boozha

If you have to quit during a battle you can surrender and reload the last auto-save afterwards. Not perfect, but I guess they had no nerve to implement two saving mechanisms!

15. Ragic

can you switch to auto after a manual battle has started?

16. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Leadrz and darklord48 like this.
  17. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

I really don't know how the original Xbox controller got out of testing.

I can recall the first time I held it I lost a game of 1v1 in Halo 2. That controller cost me the match because of its girth .

IMAGIRL likes this.
  18. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Yeah, and the thumb stick positioning wasn't exactly great either.

Leadrz likes this.
  19. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I just played through Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. Great animation, great story, good music, bad controls. I beat it in only five hours, so it's almost as short as Limbo, but like Limbo, the story is worth the play through. The controls are difficult, but manageable with the game being as short as it is. I'd highly recommend picking it up next time it's on sale. A gamepad would have been much better for controls, but unfortunately my gamepad wouldn't map to the controls correctly.

20. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

So I started playing Deponia (got the trilogy when it was on sale a short while ago), and it's pretty fun. It's got a lot of the same sort of feel as the Monkey Island games, though obviously with different setting/characters. What I really like though, is that even though it's got a lot of very silly logic to it's item puzzles, it does a good job of quasi-justifying them by having the consistent narrative that the MC comes up with terrible plans that usually at best only partially work.

Aside from that, I've been playing Space Pirates and Zombies (and Bounty Hunters) which is a neat sort of game about Space Pirates and Zombies (and Bounty Hunters), where you are the Space Pirates, but it can be a bit grindy even on settings that would help expedite leveling and such.

Other than that, I started Fallout 3 again, and am currently on my "Let's play Hearthstone" cycle of whatever online CCG-ish game I'm playing (I bounce between that, Poxnora, Cardhunter, and Shadow Era, pending how often I get bored/frustrated with them).