Poxnora analysis from a non-commited player

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dooiefries, Aug 18, 2015.

1. dooiefries

dooiefries The King of Potatoes

Hello,

My ING is Planewalkr and I have been playing Poxnora for a couple years. However, during this time I have only played a few matches. I’m level 49 and have perhaps 40 ranked matches under my belt.

Even though, I have a great interest in this game and in the concept behind it. Also, I have lurked the forums a lot to see what people are saying about the game and what are the issues within the community. Occasionally I have made a post.

I make this long post now, because I feel I have something to add to the discussion on this game as a whole. I do this because I see all discussion is being dominated by people who like the game and are in to it. Therefore, changes suggested is on the level of gameplay mechanics, balancing, level of rune accessibility, bug fixes, etc, because they argue from a perspective that the game is fun to play when these things get in order.

I would like to approach the future of this game from a completely different point of view. I am a historian by profession, board game designer, have an interest in psychology and have been an avid gamer (Tibia, Utopia, Counterstrike, RainbowSix, Age of Empires, Call of Combat, League of Legends, Battle for Wesnoth, Hearthstone).

My main point is that is does not matter if the game is fun or not compared to some other elements.

Myself and many others have been addicted to the most stupid of games. Games that were not per se fun to play, but had the structure that kept people playing. This is the main problem PoxNora has in my opinion. A total lack of viable retention structure for (new) players.

By now it is well known that large and small game developers hire psychologists for building and analysing their games. Most innocently put, this means testing if the content is received as intended by users. On the darker end developers try to synchronise gameplay experience with neurological reward mechanisms. This basically means trying to make your game as addictive as possible.

The clearest examples can be seen in MMORPG like World of Warcraft. How much experience does a creature give, how much do you need to level up, how many wolf paws can we let a player collect before he gets bored.

Please realize that the 10 gold for three wins, 100 gold a pack and quest rewards in Hearthstone are not chosen at random. A multi-million dollar company like Blizzard will spend a large chunk to optimize these numbers to have maximum player retention, keep players interested in the game and give a feeling of progress, achievement and goals. All the while still having the numbers right that people have incentive to buy packs, quests and reskins.

Yes, they also have made an entertaining game.

How would the big players in gaming land look like when they would just have made an entertaining game, but forgot about the above part? They would look like PoxNora.

I therefore propose a paradigm shift to the developers and the community.

Content, balance, bugfixes, a global chat function instead of local chat…… As well intended as it all sounds, the war is fought on a different front.

I have let friends of mine look at the game. They see 10 000 runes with 10 000 abilities. How autistic must one be at this point to be able to get in this game? How do you expect someone to play 90 second turns when they need to read up on the equivalent of novels worth of text on champions they have never seen before.

An sense of progress is utterly lacking. I can grind to buy a pack, a box or whatever, but it lacks any large embedment to get me hooked.

Nurture new players. Form a plan why they would keep playing. Use data to see what the make or break point in retention is. Create an epic story with Pox lore that players feel they take a part in. Find a way to expose new players only to a fraction of the runes in the game. Let it be a fun discovery. Let players get addicted to reach the next level where they unlock a new tier rune. Pitch players against players with a basic rune pool of 10-30 runes. Make an interesting AI to fill voids if player base is lacking. Introduce only a new rune every few games to the new players. Find a balance between playing with the same runes and unlocking new content that makes things manageable, interesting but not tedious for people signing up.

I hope I got my point across. There is a great effort from the community to help fix the game, but I see both the players and the developers to committed to a concept they already find fun. My wish is that we drop this insider view and try bring changes to the game on different level.

If you see merit to what I say; I can draft specific plans on how to use the PoxNora existing lore, gameplay and rune setup to create an engaging experience to both new players and older players. Also I’m willing to consult further on reward systems, to put it bluntly, make the game more addictive. Because I have, perhaps unfortunately, both professionally and personally, a great deal of experience in this field.

2. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

a worthwhile read, i don't have too much to add right now aside from that (and that i tend to agree).

also, introducing only a new rune at a time would take longer to fulfill than the current system- do it by expansions, possibly. win 5 games (or something) with an expansion and the next is unlocked for you too. there's really no getting around the fact that pox as-it-is requires a ridiculous depth of knowledge that you can't acquire anywhere else- the only real hope is to give people a parachute when they jump off the mountain (or something- you get my point). the expansion thing would require a significantly more f2p-like system, too, which brings us to our next point

the odds of this happening in the remotely near future seem minute, due to how staffed DOG are. i feel like even if they dropped everything else and focused on this, the time it would take might drive everyone away because there's no new anything else to keep them around.

Ozariig and BurnPyro like this.
  3. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I agree completely.

4. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

Sounds great, good feedback :)

If basic expansions are given for free, they can create special campaings where they unclock runes by faction, by rarity, by expansion. Everything lorewise.

5. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Pox 2.0 is the only salvation this game has at this point.

Bondman007 likes this.
  6. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

What do you mean with 2.0? How much of an overhaul? Graphics? Engine? Revamp?

7. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Just starting the game from scratch, as if there was a big cataclysm in the world of Pox, all the living/unliving creatures were decimated and we need new ones.
    Same gameplay mechanics.
    Give us new art, sprite, engine, whatever. Just start it from scratch, like first expansion there are like 30 runes from each faction and go from there.
    I mean, DOG is moving the game in a good direction, but its far too late for that (at least imo).

Goyo likes this.
  8. Skeezick

Skeezick Forum Royalty

the whole game is broken buggy mess,it would be better to start from scratch on new engine

Goyo likes this.
  9. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

I agree Pox 2.0 would be better than this, mostly for it's new engine and multiple platrom availability, but the investment that would require it's HUGE.

I don't see a new company buying Pox and redoing it. If anything, fans will reprogramme it. I simply don't see Pox dying complety, just it's profitability.

10. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I wonder if any game has been successfully kept alive by being taken over by players.

11. Silveraine

Silveraine I need me some PIE!

Man I hate to say it but everything he said is true!

12. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

It's funny, because when Pox first launched, it was before "big data" and the explosion of F2P games, and stuff like "retention data" and "economy design" was much less of a thing.

But Pox succeeded as being one of the first games of its type on PC - probably due to luck and lack of competition, but it also did some things right. I know that a lot of people consider Pox as a failed game, but honestly, it's not true. Pox has had a lot of users and made a lot of money over the years, a good part was used for other initiatives, especially during SOE, so it didn't necessarily get put back into Pox, but it made its money.

Interestingly, Pox originally had a more progression mechanics and was intended to be more casual and less hardcore. You were expected to buy runes, but they'd start out weaker and you'd have to level them up as you played to unlock more abilities and stats. It was both progression and a way to keep complexity down when you were new, as well as not necessarily be dependent on content for revenue (tokens were supposed to a major revenue driver).

But the players wanted hardcore. They wanted less randomness. They wanted less grind. They wanted more abilities on champions. They wanted more cards. They wanted to buy cards that were good immediately (instead of having to level them up). And as time went on, the game went in this direction, with tokens now actually just giving extra choices on champions, rather than actually required to play them at their full potential. When SOE wanted to simplify the game and reduce the complexity of the upgrade system, there was huge backlash from the community which meant some parts of the system were kept.

So at this point, 8 years in, Pox is still running, and for a content driven game made by an indie company the fact that it is still running is actually pretty amazing.

Some efforts have been made several times to redo the new user experience. Unfortunately, I wasn't involved in either time so I can't say much about the process, but I do definitely advocate the use of data and retention structures as the OP describes. Looking at it now, I do think such efforts were made, and if the OP had played the games even 5 years ago he'd recognize things have changed significantly on that front. Theme Decks, for example, is a thing that has been fairly popular for new players, tho I do think they aren't surfaced well and the way they work could use some work.

Actual player retention hasn't changed all that much over the years (Pox was never all that good at retaining users, but has gotten MUCH better with the addition of single player content and F2P mechanics, which didn't really exist originally).

I think the single player content does fit the bill here on both counts and as mentioned, we have found that the campaigns have helped with retention.

I definitely think there can be major improvements in this area. At the very basic level, buying packs right now as a new player does almost nothing, as the decks you earned can't even be edited, and you need many packs before you can even consider making your own deck.

The Theme Decks was intended to be the "basic rune pool" and is why they are the decks you are supposed to use in Training Grounds - but it doesn't matter much because there basically aren't any new players. In general, a lot of the problems with Pox comes down to the fact that it is an older game which is a niche title that simply doesn't attract very many new players at this point, making it somewhat of a catch-22 situation.

~

These are all things I agree with and it is one of my initiatives to make improvements in this area, but Pox has a lot of areas where it needs improvement, so we simply can't do everything at once. A lot of these things have already happened and changed over the past few years, but as they have had little impact people don't tend to recognize that such things have occurred.

The key point here is that the biggest break point in retention is actually getting people to download it at all at this point. Pox has already spent a lot of money on marketing over the years (players may not believe it, but there is a reason why Pox got bought by a big company, and it wasn't because it was losing money and dying for 8 years) and there is a concept in marketing called "saturation" and Pox has long since reached this point. What this basically means is that it is quite difficult to reach new players, because there aren't all that many who are interested in Pox that haven't already seen or tried it. So while I definitely agree that there can be NUX improvements and retention help for new players, the question really comes down to how much impact we think it will have.

All that said, great post and definitely good points, and perhaps we might reach out to you to discuss. While I am no stranger to these concepts, it is always nice to have another head in the game :)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    Woffleet, Dagda, DarkJello and 3 others like this.
  13. Sokolov

It's not really speed that's the problem so much as how it feels to the new user. When you earn something new, it should be exciting and make you want to get to the next one. Currently, the way things are structured, most things you earn you don't care about, at least not initially, and in most cases aren't even usable by you.

14. Sokolov

Oh, also, I played Utopia so much, as long as we are talking about this one: http://utopia-game.com/shared/?next=/wol/game/throne

There were some crazy stuff in that game, and certainly is also one of those games where they didn't hold your hand very much - you were very much free to completely screw up, and it'd let you do it! haha

15. DaPoxagon

DaPoxagon Member

I just can not agree with you
    After reading your post, I have to say that your analysis of this game is a bit off. Pox is not like any game out there. It is a combination of a trading card game and chess. Your request implies that this combination be simplified, which it can not be since the very fascination of this game is in its complexity. Here is what you are asking. DOG should create a ramp up system that gets a player addicted. Well, Hearthstone does that. It is that though because the strategy is simple. It is a trading card game. It goes fast, and it grows more powerful, everything an addict needs. But when you move chess into the strategy, addiction no longer becomes an effective draw because chess is not fast. It is a slow paced, thinking game that requires well-developed strategy that takes years to master. In chess, your pieces are already set for you, and their movements are known. In Pox, however, the pieces are much more complex than the pieces of chess. So your request just can not be done because the integrating system from newbie to any decent level requires a tutorial on trading cards build and chess, which would take a long time to design and complete. New people would still quit because the tutorial time is too long.

16. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

TL;DR Pox needs 2.0
    A new Pox on a new engine for cross-platform play (EVEN IF IT NEEDS TO BE DELIVERED IN STAGES)
    Kickstart the dang thing and incorporate all the balance, NUX, and everything you need to get it rolling. <-- But for all that is holy, please make sure you have it done so that it looks totally smexy!
    Pox is a great game, and I say this honestly without any negativity at all, but this version of Pox is done.

All that said, imagine an incredible Steam release (with rune give-aways and special incentives) for a balanced, non-bugged, non-ancient, NUX giving Pox 2.0!
    Make it so, Number 1!

17. 4NIK8

4NIK8 I need me some PIE!

Seriously? If you think single player is ok, then I dont even know what to say... The AI stinks, campaigns are basically either super champs or a swarm of enemies... nothing interesting on the AI level, which can barely use equips or spells... Yes, it might have improoved, but single player experience is still a long way from being decent.

Why should you focus on single player, you ask? Because thats the first thing most new players get into when playing a new game... In almost no game a new player is able to jump right into PvP and even if he's able to, he usually wont expect to do well, unless it's a sequel of a game he already knew or one that have well-known mechanics (FPS, Wow or DOTA style games).

And that is exactly the OP point, you wont get people to download the game simply by adding new runes and making balance changes. Those actions are for games that are doing great and just need some improovement to keep the already big player base interested in the game. Pox needs more emphasis on player achievement and neither the single player or the ranked league offer any of it.

Do you really belive that the reason its quite difficult to reach new players is the one you pointed?

The task to get into Pox to a point where its actually fun to play is daunting with all the abilities and runes there are atm. Yes, you have been working on reducing the amount of abilities, but that alone is not enough. And by that I don't mean you need to simplify the game, just make it more accessible and rewarding (see DOFUS or PoE, both have a complex aspect to it but both are newbie friendly)

"My wish is that we drop this insider view and try bring changes to the game on different level."

18. Sokolov

I never said it was amazing, my point is that it attempts to fulfill the specific need that was specified.

19. Sokolov

Yes, I believe what I said. I wasn't lying. I've been here for most of Pox's lifetime and have a lot more information regarding the success/rates of marketing, etc.

That said, I could be wrong.

20. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

@dooiefries

Great read. You from the netherlands by any chance btw?