What about paladins/barbarians?

Discussion in 'Ironfist Stronghold' started by Aleswick, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Aleswick

Aleswick Member

Isn't Paladins just as strong as the dwarven battlegroups?

Also am curious, is Desert Owl going to do something about the Barbarians? After thier mix of specified tribes they seemingly have became extinct... right?

xRugolth likes this.
  2. LoganMkv

LoganMkv I need me some PIE!

wut

3. xRugolth

xRugolth The King of Potatoes

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  4. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I havnt played in a year or two but historically Paladins have always been strong. The runes cost more Nora which changes the tempo of the deck but individually the runes have stronger stats and abilities. Paladin runes are typically (not always) less efficient as individual units but combine buffs, abilities and healing to make each other stronger to the point where each individual unit is a super champ.
    Due to the inherent strengths and weaknesses of the deck Paladins usually do very well early on in the game because the units are individually stronger and again late in the game when they have amassed strength. However the mid-game usually will rely on stalling and healing until the late game arrives. This is because they will have less units than the opponent and is easy to be outmaneuvered by sheer numbers unless you can force the opponent to concentrate in one area.

RedScarlet, jayscales1 and xRugolth like this.
  5. xRugolth

And thats my only problem with them

Aleswick likes this.
  6. Aleswick

Aleswick Member

I guess just never really liked the barbs... hope I didn't offend. My paladins bg is one of my favorites. I agree with you though, Markoth, strategy is key.

xRugolth likes this.
  7. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

I think Paladins are stronger than Dwarfs. Although, a Dwarf BG is cheaper and easier to play.

8. xRugolth

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Uhmnn I don't know about that

9. jayscales1

jayscales1 The King of Potatoes

you have to build up a paladins bg, stalling and tanking , dwarves are far more efficient, as well as trolls and constructs, paladins will never be the most dominate race like you would expect a paladin to be unless they get a nora reduction and become more efficient

xRugolth likes this.
  10. Aleswick

Aleswick Member

hmmm, I agree a little with your assessment, jay, but can't completely. Paladins are efficient, but I agree a nora cost reduction would help.

jayscales1 and xRugolth like this.
  11. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

While there are a few cases that could use a rework/recost (I will poke around and see if I can find the Ironfist Inquisitor rework proposition that tarth and I collaborated on) the vast majority of paladins are quite efficient. However their efficiency are back-loaded rather than front-loaded. Many paladins on their own would be considered inefficient and overcosted but once you build and add synergy into the picture they become very efficient pieces.

xRugolth likes this.
  12. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Found it: https://forums.station.sony.com/pox...n-ironfist-inquisitor-inquisitor-isran.92703/
    There is a fair bit of discussion in the thread for those that wish to read it and I will answer any questions about our reasoning behind the changes.

13. Firk

Firk I need me some PIE!

If they ever remove Bounty hunter from ironfist inquisitor i will come home to you and shave your beard. They can remo ve all other skills from her but not bounty hunter

14. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Bounty Hunter is the most expensive ability on her and cost is part of the reason she is so rarely used. The only reason she ever made it into paladin decks was Commander: Paladin and that isnt even needed anymore due to Northern Cross Cardinal. There are simply better options for expensive beaters in Paladins. That said I would love to see Isran remain the same as current Inquisitor for posterity's sake. There are better options for expensive beaters in Paladins

15. Tarth

Tarth Devotee of the Blood Owl

Truth. Plus A mid cost durable champ able to reduce the cost of a large section of runes while remaining a 7spd unit in a relatively slow faction ( Theme still slow? Been gone like 2 years) with a faction enhancing weaken spells option ( bonus + inquisition+ weaken spells, and cast DMZ on veil walker all in theme) allows for a robust red head.

16. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Speak of the devil and he shall appear... greetings beardless brother.

17. Tarth

No Idea, been gone for like 2 years. However, the change to a tribe based mechanic that ticks adjustable abilities is a good theme mechanic and one that isnt all or nothing. If anything, a lack of actually diverse units ( looking through the runes there are like dozens of remakes/copies in the barb line up) is the only thing holding it back. They just need to get over the cliched " me barb me hit things" design and actually look for creative and interesting units. Even Conan was more then a brute.

18. Tarth

Hey, Just found out today that Pox was bought by Geden. Thought I would check it out. Been living it up in Germany, I feel I understand your love of beer now :p

Axeraiser and xRugolth like this.
  19. Pico

Pico I need me some PIE!

Paladins are actually incredibly strong, they lost some of their cheapstuff problems in recent expansions, are fairly beefy and have high DMG, and some of the strongest healing and cleansing in the game.

Does not mean a couple of them aren't still a bit outdated though.

20. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Constructs are definitely not more efficent than Paladins...