NFL 2015

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Markoth, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Jeff Fisher is a divisional game wizard. Honestly if the rams went 6-0 in divisional games and lost every other game of the year he would be perfectly happy.

2. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I'm still waiting for the Vikings to play tonight.

3. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I wanted to watch Jarryd Hayne but the game kicks off at 10:15pm >.>

4. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

The worse is kickoff. For example, you will get a few minutes of commercials, see a kickoff (about 5 seconds of play), and then commercials again.

And then when you ARE watching the game...

[​IMG]

PurpleTop likes this.
  5. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

Only 3 seconds of cheerleaders!? That's the whole reason I watch! Well ESPN just lost my business

6. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

Also I did the math.... That doesn't seem accurate

7. Sokolov

8. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Its likely accurate but its the equivilent of taking a Soccer broadcast and only counting the time spent when a player is physically touching the ball and disregarding time spent on a pass as it travels between players. It significantly reduces the amount of "action" that is actually taking place. With the huddles, audibles, motions etc removed that is basically an 11 minute full contact brawl. Think boxing with 106 people in the fight that doesnt stop for breaks between the rounds.

9. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Bane Shift was jarryd haynes first game today. well damn howd he go mark? also go ravens

10. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I didn't watch the full game, but the few plays by Haynes I saw looked really good. Of course most people are focused on his first touch, which was a fumble.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  11. themacca

What did he end up playing? i was expecting him to play punt return

12. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

He is taking Punt Returns and is #2-3 on the RB depth chart. He had 4 touches for 13 yards and the one punt return that was a fumble. If I recall the 49ers recovered it but there was no return on the punt.

13. themacca

im not the best on stats. but that's pretty bad right?

14. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Here are the stats.

The fumble was recovered by the Vikings, but they were unable to do anything with it. Bush, the #2 running back had a calf injury early in the game and Haynes took over his spot. He had 1 reception for 7 yards, 4 runs for 13 yards, a 3.3 yard per carry average. His longest run was 9 yards, including 3 yards after contact, which is above the NFL average. Only the punt return that he fumbled counted towards his stats because the other return had a flag on the play. That one would have been a 10 yard return.

His stats aren't stellar, but when you consider he only put pads on for the first time five months ago, that's really impressive. He's doing as good or better than most rookies would.

themacca likes this.
  15. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Yeah, I'd say they were terrible, but seeing things through darklords point of view certainly changes my view on it.
    So, I'd say his stats were mediocre.

16. Qucas

Qucas Guest

Damn Bears are already 0 and 1

17. Sokolov

You can draw almost zero conclusions from so few touches, so hard to say anything at this point from them. That said, if you saw something in his steps/movement during the game itself, that's probably slightly more valuable.

18. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I agree, the dataset is far too small for an accurate conclusion. I found a video that has one of the moves that impressed me. While he only is credited for a 7 yard reception, he was 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage when he caught the ball, almost 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage when he got past the first defender.

Skip ahead to 24 seconds to see the play. Unfortunately it cannot be imbedded.

19. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

He was very impressive in the pre-season but its hard to tell for sure playing against people usually 3rd or 4th on a depth chart. He has a much more methodical approach to his runs that I can appreciate. Most running backs these days just kick it into top gear and hope a hole opens up in front of them but Hayne seems to take his time and find the hole before taking off. As a result he will likely have less 20+ yard runs than other people but I expect his average run to be longer than most.

20. Sokolov

Those do look pretty impressive. He almost always gains yards after contact (an area where runners like Lynch makes a lot of their gains).