Marijuana going legal - is it the way to go?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Pedeguerra, Sep 23, 2015.

?

Do you approve of marijuana going legal?

1. Yes

28 vote(s)
    75.7%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  1. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

So, I honestly couldn't come on the forums and read more on nerf threads, nor I enjoy politics that much to partake on some of the discussions taking place here. HS thread still going strong, but not much to talk about in there except ranked grind.
    Leaving that aside, I started this topic because there is an important leading case here in Brasil regarding this matter, and our Supreme Court is going to decide on the matter this year (3 judges already voted for legalizing it).
    In any case, I was wondering what you guys think. I'm on the opinion that it should go legal. Why? Well, its more about freedom of action than anything else, I feel.
    My personal story on the matter: started smoking MJ on college (so, 14 years ago... damn), and did it just to get as crazy as I could on that time. However, as I grew older, I started to realize that not only MJ was good in parties and whatnot, I found out that it helped with my anxiety issues like anything ever did.
    I have really, really low tolerance with alcohol, so I don't really like to pop a beer and watch a football match, for example. I'd rather take a few hits and enjoy the thing.
    So yeah, in case you guys are wondering, I still smoke it to this day, however I do it in a very controlled basis - my rule is: if I was to drink on that day, Im allowed to smoke. So I rarely smoke on weekdays (mostly on wednesday cause its friends game night), and on weekends I smoke but only to play video games. It makes my life much easier.
    I might view my change on things when I have kids, but for now I'm positive that MJ is a better thing for society than alcohol.
    Either way, I feel all drugs should go legal, we dump a lot of money to fight traffic and it's not going anywhere. If a person wants to be completely crazy and do drugs all day, so be it. They can do that with alcohol and cigarettes already, why not with the other drugs.
    Seems like wasted money that government could be making, making it illegal is only providing funds for criminals to buy weapons and live on the margin of society.
    How do you guys feel?

super71, Anima26, Ohmin and 1 other person like this.
  2. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

As a Libertarian, I agree with your rationale. A bunch of criminals are in prison for smoking dat weed, and it just seems like wasted time, energy, and money. I view alcohol as more dangerous than weed, so there is that. Individual companies can, will, and should be able to continue random drug screenings of their employees. DUI laws would be unchanged. But no longer should competent adults be snapped up by the long arm of the law and incarcerated for dope. Also, if pot does go full legal, one should invest in brownies and chips and munchies. A fortune could be made.

Legalize Mary Jane. (Never touched it personally). I will still recommend all my patients stay away from it. But they gonna do what they gonna do. Back to work for me. Good day to all.

Ohmin and Pedeguerra like this.
  3. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

companies have a right to demand that you not show up for work drunk. they don't have a right to demand you don't drink. Well, they may have the right but good luck with that one. that's the problem with drug testing. it only measures use, not current influence. how a libertarian could ever condone compulsory surrendering of your bodily tissues (for any reason) seems out of character.

for those of you who only got high a few times in hs/college, I can assure you that regular users stop getting high like that fairly quickly. It starts to take on the role of an aspirin a day to chase away the aches and pains.

and im sure the legalized weed is not going to be the high powered stuff (at least not the affordable corner drugstore weed). could be wrong, maybe the euro liberals out there have some compelling anecdotal evidence to share.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
    Pedeguerra likes this.
  4. DarkJello

When you are at work, you are NOT on your time. I used to operate a hyster and/or semi all day long. It would not have been safe to drug it up, and then go to work. Not for me, not for my coworkers, and not for the public. This aint rocketY Science of fiction sir.

5. Ragic

well of course not. just as it would not do for you to show up to work drunk. but drug testing does not show if youre currently high. it shows you smoked weed at some point on your own time. people who smoke weed on their own time have just as much ability to NOT smoke right before work as a drinker has to NOT drink right before work. If there is a Breathalyzer equivalent test for pot, then im ok with it.

newsbuff and SPiEkY like this.
  6. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Legalize it. I'm still confused as to how alcohol is worse for you and is responsible for more deaths each year, yet it is legal.

7. DarkJello

What do you suggest a company that employees a few hundred big rig drivers do??

Here is a fun and interesting read:

http://www.hightimes.com/read/drug-testing-101

8. Ragic

how do those same companies ensure the truck drivers aren't driving drunk? do they screen their employees to make sure they are non drinkers? do they give them random Breathalyzer tests? or do they say 'don't drink on the job' and then trust that they wont? asking for real, I have no idea.

SPiEkY likes this.
  9. Pedeguerra

Well, it was a measure taken during the 50/60 (IIRC) right after alcohol was made legal again in USA. MJ took too much money away from that, so alcohol companies convinced congressmen to lobby to prohibit it, and they did it. As always, money spoke louder and population took the shaft.
    There is no reason for to maintain it like it is today, I agree that it makes no sense whatsoever.
    On the drug testing and whatnot DJ and Ragic are talking about, I think it should work just like it does with alcohol. Guy is showing up at work drunk/high, fire him. No problem, I feel.

DarkJello likes this.
  10. Ragic

The problem is that there isn't a definitive test to show someone is high (that I'm aware of). You could go by look and behavior I suppose. I guess if you drug tested someone who is currently high you could correlate the levels to inebriation. But the problem is that casual use also shows up on those tests. Weed doesn't leave your system as fast as alcohol does. So testing for being drunk isn't quite the invasion of privacy that testing for weed is.

11. Pedeguerra

This whole drug/alcohol testing thing is too invasive, I feel.
    They should look at how the person is AT WORK, not outside of it.
    If the guys is a freaking drunk/pothead, but delivers at work, so what?
    I think we, as a society, are moving towards a place where our freedom of speech/action/privacy is more respected than nowadays, lets hope Im right.

SPiEkY and DarkJello like this.
  12. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

They tried making it illegal in the US. It didn't work out.

Interestingly, the US needed a Constitutional Amendment to make the attempt (and to end it).

Yet no such thing is needed for MJ or other drugs, catagorized by the UN as having no medical benefit. (Although apparently a study was done recently that THC might actually help with Cancer of all things. Also, the reason Hemp is so heavily regulated isn't because of THC [there are non-THC varieties of the plant] but for the sake of supporting "big cotton" and similar things more than anything else.)

Anyway, as someone who has absolutely no interest in consuming Marijuana in any form... legalize it. Seriously.

Anima26, SPiEkY and Pedeguerra like this.
  13. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

I'm pretty sure that if I ever came to work sober, I'd be fired.

Not seriously, of course, but I tend to work much better/harder/more efficiently under the influence of cannabis, and my boss knows it.

Pedeguerra likes this.
  14. Ragic

I vaguely remember some study that claimed if you study high you do better on the test high. Meaning if high is your regular state of being you tend to perform better in that state. Just as someone who doesn't get high regularly performs less well while high because that's not their regular state of being.

Of course if you're claiming to need to be high in order to function that's probably not a good thing. Unless it's for medical reasons. Then again my wife needs red bull to function and it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Pedeguerra, SPiEkY and DarkJello like this.
  15. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

I think the phase you're looking for is:

"Study high, test high, get high grades."

Karmavore likes this.
  16. Pedeguerra

Hahahah, I loled. If only that applied to high paycheck as well huh ;).
    On a different note, I applaud all you guys that dont use it but still support it going legal - thanks for being open minded and tolerant! /clap clap clap

SPiEkY and DarkJello like this.
  17. Ragic

I'm pretty sure snoop dogs paycheck is high.

18. DarkJello

I don't use it, and I recommend to my peeps that it is dangerous and not worth the risk. I feel that same way about lots of things that are legal now.

A competent adult is responsible for what s(he) does and what s(he) does not do. I stand up for my beliefs while also striving NOT to live your life for you.

19. Ragic

Could you elaborate on the word 'dangerous'? And is the 'risk' something other than its illegality?

SPiEkY likes this.
  20. Anima26

Anima26 I need me some PIE!

Legalize it already and stop wasting millions trying to fight it, especially when the hypocrisy that is alcohol is staring everyone in the damn face.
    Seriously, its not a big bad danger, millions of people already smoke pot on a casual basic just like people like to have a beer after work or at meal times.
    Such a load of nonsense that some people even try and lobby that it should remain illegal whilst Bane Shift like alcohol, tobacco and highly addictive fast food kills far more people on a yearly basis.

Pedeguerra likes this.