Whirling Quarry.

Discussion in 'Shattered Peaks' started by themacca, Oct 1, 2015.

1. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Okay im not sure if im missing something or not on this. as i've not seen it in game or used it but just wondering. whats the go with this thing it seems highly underwhelming for a brand new legendary. its signature ability seems really meh and maybe it should get changed to work more like a strong gust of wind would and knock back all champions within 3 spaces? IDK people who have used it or seen it in acton give me your thoughts because im not impressed.

Bellagion likes this.
  2. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

IMO it all depends on when the knockback happens. Whirling Stones states that the effect occurs when it becomes the target of a basic attack, so theoretically it would apply the knockback before the attack goes off, and since the units are no longer in combat, the entire attack would be prevented. If this is the case, upgrading Absorb means you would have a very disruptive front line support champ that could grant global resistance to physical and toss out Tough 3 every once in a while. If on the other hand the attack goes off THEN the champion is knocked back, I'd probably take Deploy: Rock Trap and Shroud, and use him as a more defensive tool that could help protect your back line. If they removed the "activates at the end of each of your turns" clause, I could see Whirling Stones affecting all enemy champions within 3 spaces instead of just one, but I think it's too early to ask for buffs right now. See how it plays out first.

3. Raikan

Raikan I need me some PIE!

I'll say it's one of the most interesting and unique runes we've had a while. We'll have to see when whirling stones triggers--before or after an attack. But aside from that, he has some enormous harass/stall potential with 50 hp, 2 def, the ability to hand out tough 3, and an option to get absorb. Also, I can see potential synergies with a lot of our equips/relics since he'll have a lot of AP to spend.

4. Nebron

Nebron I need me some PIE!

The runes straight garbage. The FS leg has an on hit dmg ability that's way better on top of the fact that it has an actual ability kit where this tornado just has stuff tossed onto it. You're paying 70 nora for a rock trap and 1-2 turns of annoyance for the other guy because he's super easy to one round and doesn't bring anything else to the table.

5. Silfeed

Silfeed I need me some PIE!

Could you explain a bit to me how he's easy to one round? I'm not being "that guy" or anything I'm just curious. Absorb (if you choose it) and whirling stones should be enough to make sure that doesn't happen. Also, I see him to be like a mini version of AOC. He doesn't bring that "wow" factor but like raikan said, he's unique

PS. Don't equip slavers whip on him since unstoppable units can't possess champs. Learned that the hard way

6. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

Unimpressed. Don't feel like it really does anything except give a couple buffs to allies. I guess part of it is that I really don't see passive 50hp units without targeted offensive capabilities as having a place in this meta. The game is all about control over fonts and one-rounding right now, and tornado doesn't help w those much.

7. Raikan

One idea (although not fully thought out) would be to turn Whirling stones into a yo-yo with deafening aura. Give him something like fascinate (pull at the beginning of the turn), deafening aura, repulsion (but change it so it pushes at the end of the turn and has range 3), absorb and gale. This seems really useful and cool to me, but maybe the passive damage and relocation mechanics would be too strong.

8. Bellagion

Although I like the idea, I think in practice it'd end up costing a ton of nora.

9. Raikan

Idk. Currently, he costs 65 nora for 50 hp, 2 defense, 6 speed and 27 nora worth of abilities and [XXX] for whirling stones (calculated using a shroud/absorb build detailed below)

Current Build = 65 nora w/ 27 nora worth of abilities and [XXX] for whirling stones.
    Unstoppable = 3
    Absorb = 8 nora
    Grant Stoneskin = 8 nora
    Shroud = 8 nora
    Whirling Stones = ???

With my suggestions, and assuming the modified repulsion ability is the same cost as normal repulsion, he'd have 27 nora worth of abilities +15 for gale.

Fascinate = 3 nora
    Repulsion = 8 nora
    Deafening Aura = 8 nora
    Absorb = 8 nora
    Gale = 15 nora

So he'd cost somewhere between 65 and 80, depending on how much whirling stones compares to gale. That seems very doable, imo. I'd definitely give him a try for that price. He'd be very disruptive; saving AP on movement by pulling units closer during your turn; force an opponent to waste AP moving on his turn; he'd come w/ passive damage from movement; he'd be pretty tanky w/ absorb; he'd synergize well with rock traps; and he'd be able to use gale to proc traps, gap closer, disengage on your range, etc.

My big concern is that ability heavy champions should, imo, be shut down by distract. His abilities would largely be passive, so that's kind of an issue.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  10. Bellagion

Oh, okay. I didn't realize you were saying you'd remove Whirling Stones. When you said "turn Whirling Stones into a yo-yo" I thought he'd still have that ability.

Dunno if sok is really gonna go for changing repulsion to trigger at the end of turns though. Some of the champs that have it are ranged and use it to disengage melee at the beginning of their turns.

11. Raikan

I'd leave repulsion as is. I'd make a different ability that's coded just like repulsion, but trigger at a different time. Programming wise, I think we have all the elements there between repulsion and aura abilities, so I don't think it would require much work.

12. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

Tried him out today. Was not impressed at all

13. Raikan

When does the knockback trigger when he's attacked.

14. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

After the attack hits

15. Beefinator

Beefinator The King of Potatoes

Running two of them in my voil and moga BGs and they take control of the board really well. He's insane at defending fonts early on because you need more than one champ to deal with him quickly. I really like taking fonts with him first and then dropping tough potions on a different champ each turn and using stone barrage whenever possible. I think stone barrage/shroud is the only reasonable way to run him.

16. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

Providing tough 3 + shroud for only 67 nora its OP as Firk!

17. Raikan

I disagree. Early game, there's no advantage to either shroud or grant stone skin. He has to contest a side font and cannot win that font--only delay. In a mid-font, mid-game battle, he can be useful. But grant: stone skin every other turn seems pretty meh. Also, keeping champions alive minimizes the SP bonus. So it's not optimal, imo. Finally, I'd urge Sok to reconsider the whirling stone ability. There are a lot of problems with it, including it's random component. Happy to talk further, but I think my suggestion earlier in the thread would make him useful.

18. Raikan

What do folks think about whirling quarry after he has settled in? My earlier assessment was pretty wrong. With absorb and whirling quarry, he can contest a font against ranged damage for a long time and force melee to waste a lot of ap on movement. With shroud and grant stone skin, he can make your mid font contester very durable and, when that champ dies, he can make your next font contester very durable. I haven't tried him w/ seism yet.

19. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

I think he's going to get nerfed. 1-5 range procs on every basic attack is too strong.

Bring it back to 1-3 or keep it 1-5 and only proc it on the first attack each turn.

20. Bellagion

I run Seism and Stone Barrage. Really love it. Good burst damage, destroys a relic on deploy, great zoning tool.