This is happening rather quietly

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sokolov, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

http://gov.alaska.gov/Walker/press-room/full-proclamation.html?pr=7296

"NOW THEREFORE, I, Bill Walker, GOVERNOR OF THE STATE OF ALASKA, do hereby proclaim October 12, 2015 as:

Indigenous Peoples Day

in Alaska, and encourage all Alaskans to celebrate the thriving cultures and values of the Indigenous Peoples of our region and to continue efforts to promote the well-being and growth of Alaska’s Indigenous community."

Alaska joins South Dakota and California (and possibly others) in renaming Columbus Day.

SaintKiwi and Bellagion like this.
  2. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

3. Bellagion

This is one of the most bigoted and misinformed statements I've ever read.

Anima26, JellyBerry and SaintKiwi like this.
  4. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

You oughtta be kidding. Columbus was a genocidal lowlife and if someone could kill him again he probably should.

5. iPox

iPox Forum Royalty

Are you trolling or did you really justify a genocide by claiming "indigenous tyranny"?

6. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Don't forget there was no such thing as a noble savage.

7. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

columba what day? stop making up holidays!

8. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Woop, ignore list then

9. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Well I'm glad we decided to make that choice for them by killing and enslaving the lot. That was indeed so much more civilised

oh wait, only if you were a white male, which they weren't.

mortal ix, Anima26 and JellyBerry like this.
  10. Bellagion

I've gone the route of just adding this guy to Ignore. It's not worth the hassle if he actually thinks what he's saying makes any sense.

Anima26 and JellyBerry like this.
  11. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

while the noble savage is not true that doesn't mean columbo wasn't an ******* wich caused genocide and also a plague wich wiped out 90% of the american natives... the remaining mad max survivor natives did give the european colonists a lot of trouble so props to them.

12. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Columbus doesn't deserve the all the hate, it was a fairly common occurrence back then.

Step 1: Go to a land with "uncivilized" people
    Step 2: Make them become "civilized" and kill anyone that resists
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Profit

13. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I guess Hitler and Stalin where pretty okay people too.

14. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I didn't say pretty ok, I said he doesn't deserve all the hate. Meaning there are others that deserve to be hated as well. Just like you can't blame just Hitler for the Holocaust

DarkJello likes this.
  15. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Are you trying to claim that Indians weren't rounded up, but rather incidentally killed just while the white man was there? Sounds like really bad luck that they all seem to drop down when we arrive.

Don't say anything though, jews just happened to die on their trains to heaven as well?

-

Gotta give you props, even mw didn't need a mere 3 posts to convince me of what a delusional person he was.

16. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

pffft, the hell I can't, you don't know me! I can do what I want!

17. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

While I don't necessarily agree with Newsbuff (I'm quite certain the Colonies had several wars against the Natives among other things), it is actually true that new migrants would often bring diseases that the natives of a region (any region) would not have immunities to. So disease spreading incidentally is actually a thing.

On the topic of Columbus Day.

1. Columbus was an ass (according to most historical records) and considered such by his European peers.

2. Dude thought he'd gotten into India via a new route, which makes him a moron.

3. Even with all this I don't mind at all naming a holiday after him. Particularly since said holiday is largely only celebrated by Mail Carriers and the like, which get an extra day off.

4. Renaming it like this makes little sense, considering the originating reason for the holiday. There are plenty of other, better, ways to honor Natives.

5. The Noble Savage is as much a Myth as The Noble European/Colonist. People are people, and there were good guys and bad guys within pretty much all the different nations and tribes involved.

6. Happy Birthday to the US Navy, which is apparently Oct 13th according to my calendar.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    mortal ix and DarkJello like this.
  18. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

I got to work my usual 10-12 hours on Columbus Day. No extra pay. No special goodies. No "free" government cash. Just work, like every other Monday.

I am all for Indigenous Peoples Day, if it will score me cash, goodies, or time off work. Why are peeps trying to replace Columbus Day? Enlighten, please and thanks.

19. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

are you trying to make some sort of banal or insane point?
    why is it always about money with you?
    it doesn't equal happiness.
    read the thread, columbus was an *******.

20. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

As per usual, emotion and feelings are given more credence than logic and facts. So many r selected types running around causing problems, while K selected try to clean up the mess.