Discussing American politics as civil human beings

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BurnPyro, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Unfortunately, while Voter ID sounds great, it doesn't actually work that way in real life.

There are 2 problems with Voter ID laws:
    • They are a deterrent to voting; if you are pro-democracy, you should be trying to make it EASIER to vote, not harder
    • They are fighting a phantom menace - there's been no credible study or research showing that it is a problem at any significant scale at all
      • And what problems actually exist, aren't fixable by Voter ID laws, because the fraud is not at an individual voter level
    The reality is that Voter ID laws have been crafted by Republican legistators for the express purpose of voter suppression - they have said so, publically.

This is especially damning when you see that many states with Voter ID laws have also decreased voting hours and closed or reduced hours at locations such as DMV offices where you can even obtain said IDs. In some states, the majority of such closings have been in counties and regions that mostly vote Democrat.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  2. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

It is almost always buying votes. The government is a weapon that people use against each other. That is why it is so personal and why people are so passionate.

"Doing the right thing" is most often a lie that people state to feel better about crushing the hopes and dreams of the enemy--usually about 1/2 of the voters.

3. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

well, if we assume that it's all essentially votebuying, then isn't the main thing to focus on equality in so doing?

and there'd of course be the differences in votes

i think i'd oppose efforts to require tightening on voter ID if they're not accompanied by a sort of... i don't want to say mandatory, because that's not accurate, but we'll go with it, mandatory times *to* vote. so that you're both, theoretically, ensuring that fewer instances of voter fraud (proven cases are already scarce, i believe) occur and more instances of actual voting.

would also like to see redistricting lumped in there, but i have no Firking idea how i'd do that aside from, when it's done, try to add a "no gerrymandering" provision

edit- DJ, i doubt we're going to agree on this, but saying something as broad as "the government is a weapon" sticks out to me, likely because i live right outside DC and i know quite a few government workers that work on things i wouldn't think about until i needed them.

does the government have flaws? sure. might it be populated with ********? sure.

but a weapon? i struggle with that one.

DarkJello likes this.
  4. Sokolov

Incidentally, in Hong Kong and China, EVERYONE gets a government issued-ID when they are voting age. It is your identity card - free of charge. I have one, and I don't even live there anymore (and haven't since I was 10 years old).

In such a scenario, I would okay with Voter ID laws (though I'd still think it's largely an inefficient waste of money), because it would no longer be a deterrent to voting, nor would it more severely impact certain segments of the population.

5. DarkJello

Completely disagree, except regarding scumbag politicians that are trying to stack the deck.--which boils down to "ok for Dems but not for Repubs" to do.

Voting is a privilege. Not confirming that each and every person voting actually has that privilege, is as undemocratic as it gets.

I view voting as much, much, MUCH more potentially dangerous than a gun. Background checks on each and every voter, every 4 years, sounds like a good 1st step.

6. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Self Correction about Clinton/Trump call thingy:

What was confirmed was that there was a call, but the specific contents of that call are unknown, so he could have been pleading for Trump to run as Republican, or he could have been pleading for him not to run, or discussing the best way to smoke a cigar, or the best way to handle an intern.

Still wouldn't trust Bill's word on the matter one way or another.

7. Sokolov

No one said this. We are talking specifically about Voter ID laws right now, which is absolutely a Republican thing.

8. Sokolov

The thing is that you already register to vote (which is ridiculous and inefficient).

As a proponent of small, efficient government, why would you want time and money wasted on efforts that are not known to actually provide any benefits? And it seems very odd to me that you'd be ok with people attempting to prevent people from voting.

And what exactly do you disagree with? Do you believe voter fraud is a huge problem? Do you believe that voter ID laws without providing easy access to IDs are NOT a deterrent to voting?

~

If you want to do Voter ID, do it RIGHT and in such a way that doesn't DISENFRANCHISE people.

Provide everyone with a valid ID, free of charge, or allow the use of already issued IDs such as a Social Security card, and remove the registration process. Allow anyone to go to a voting booth as long as they have the government provided ID. Then take the money you save from no longer doing registrations to extend voting hours so everyone has more time and ability to exercise their democratic rights.

Changes should IMPROVE the system, not make it worse for no tangible benefit.

Ohmin likes this.
  9. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Seriously. While I do support ID requirements for voting (reduction of voter fraud is a good thing, even if only a little), the idea of requiring a separate ID for the function is going too far, let alone requiring processing fees for their creation, etc.

DarkJello likes this.
  10. Sokolov

My understanding is that most do take "standard" photo ID such as Driver's Licenses, but obviously that has several hurdles if you do not already have one, and many states require frequent updating of these IDs as well (collecting fees each time). Arizona is nice, it basically lasts forever :D

DarkJello and Ohmin like this.
  11. DarkJello

We stop people from voting ALL the time. Too young. Not a citizen. Felon. Mentally incompetent.

I seriously doubt voter fraud has been adequately calculated. Many states don't require you to prove who you say you are. Heck, I could vote for myself and my wife super easy. (By mail).

Why do you ASSUME that I want to require voter ID and, in conjunction, that I want to make such ID very difficult to acquire??

I CONSTANTLY see welfare recipients with expensive phones, clothes, and cars. They have money for booze. They have money to chain smoke cigs. They have money for weed. They have money for fast food restaurants day and night. But these poor and downtrodden--presumably by evil, rich, white folks--don't have any money to purchase a basic ID. The entire argument is ludicrous. There is cool and nifty hypotheses from college professors, and then there is the reality of how all these laws and programs actually function. The behavior that these laws and programs actually incentivize is regressive, to say the least. Why should people that refuse to make the tiniest little smidgeon of a sacrifice be given yet another "free" thing?? Answer: Because that is how they vote. Sick.

DJ out.

12. Sokolov

I did not intend to assume anything about you, only replying based on what you said.

I am against the type of Voter ID laws (and other associated policies) currently being adopted and pushed in various parts of the US, because, the reality is that they are, in many cases, used in conjunction with making said IDs difficult to acquire (or not expanding access in any way) and am mostly arguing against that.

I have made it clear that I have no problem with Voter ID in general (other than the fact that I believe voter fraud isn't a legitimate issue), as long it is implemented in a way that is fair.

Thus, if you are supporting current Voter ID pushes (which you seemed to be), but agree with me that such IDs should be accessible, then saying "completely disagree" to most of my post wherein I outline such issues would give me the wrong impression of your stance.

13. Sokolov

Here are what aren't just hypothesis:
    1. Introduction of friction in any process decreases conversion rates; this is true in all areas, thus why places like Amazon have one-click purchasing
      • For people who already have valid IDs (whatever is constituted as such), this isn't an issue, and clearly not a friction point, thus having no effect on that segment of the population
      • But for people who do not already have IDs, it introduces yet another friction point, besides mandatory registration, limited voting hours, and other existing hurdles
    2. Voter Fraud hasn't been shown to be a real problem
      • You can argue that you do not believe it's been properly accounted for, and that's fine, but I would say, "There is cool and nifty hypothesis from DJ, and then there is the reality of how these things have currently been investigated, studied and researched"
    3. Republican politicians have said that such laws are designed to give their party an edge
    ~

But I think at the heart of it, I see voting as a right (15th Amendment: "The right of citizens of the United States to vote..."), and you see it as a privilege, thus there'll always be a divide between us on this issue.

~

Also, I agree that it sucks that some people can't be bothered to do X or Y (heck, even people with IDs might not bother to vote, or they might vote without actually finding out anything about the candidates or issues).

Personally, I think low-information voting and the voting system itself is a far bigger problem than any fraud that might currently exist.

~

Also, I do see the irony in the fact that I would probably choose not to vote, combined with this stance :D

DarkJello likes this.
  14. Sokolov

A bit of a tangent.

A friend of mine, about 15 years ago, had undiagnosed Celiac. She also had some back problems, thus was not working. She desperately wanted to do something with her life, but was basically bedridden 20+ hours a day. She was being told by doctors
    she was making it all up, because they couldn't find anything wrong with her (the symptoms related to Celiac).

When she WAS diagnosed, she started to feel better, and wanted to goto school. Unfortunately, doing so at any reasonable pace would mean that she'd not receive certain benefits (i.e. she was not allowed to take more than X credit hours and still be considered disabled so she could receive medical benefits for her back issues).

Working would also be the same problem. If you can work, you aren't disabled right?

She was also not able to save money, because her bank accounts were being monitored and if her savings exceeded a certain amount she would be cut off as well (which basically meant she was forced to spend the benefits she was receiving, even if she didn't need anything).

If you look at the individual aspects, it all kind of makes sense to prevent fraud and people taking advantage of the system, but as a whole, the systems appears to be designed to keep you in it.

Anyway, she ended up marrying a guy who had money and a good job with good medical benefits. PROBLEM SOLVED.

DarkJello and Boozha like this.
  15. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I'd to order one of these, please.

DarkJello and Leadrz like this.
  16. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

just gimme a year bb

i'll have found at least 20 of them for you to sample

17. Sokolov

Sample sounds so dirty.

DarkJello likes this.
  18. DarkJello

Again, I mostly agree with you. Many fair points. I appreciate your honesty. Whether voting is a right or a privilege, the process should be super screened and transparent.

"Personally, I think low-information voting and the voting system itself is a far bigger problem than any fraud that might currently exist."

I agree that the above is the crux of the matter. Very well said.

19. DarkJello

The system is intentionally designed to make one feel trapped. And the majority of those folks will keep voting for big gov, because they aint gonna shut their own "free" cash spigot.

I am very glad to hear your friend escaped the matrix. Take a long look at how many Americans receive welfare and/or disability. Look at the trends. Then get back with me.

20. DarkJello

Busted ! CNN Uses Jeb Bush Staffer Planted In Audience To Frame Donald Trump Narrative/Hit Job….

10-13-2015

During an appearance at a Jon Huntsman / The Hill “No Labels” event, a female audience member named Lauren Batchelder played the role of a female antagonist toward candidate Donald Trump.

However, Ms. Batchelder is not just an average audience member. She’s a paid political operative of the GOP and a paid staff member of Team Jeb Bush:

[​IMG]

Within minutes of her scripted performance at the event, the producers of CNN were quickly editing soundbites and framing a narrative. That story was pushed into the media stream within hours. CNN’s Jeanne Moos was the delivery vehicle for the hit piece.

Of course, Ms Batchelder quickly began scrubbing her social media history trying to hide who she works for. Almost all of her Twitter history is now deleted, but not before much of it was able to be captured. Several other profiles remain available:

http://theconservativetreehouse.com...ience-to-frame-donald-trump-narrativehit-job/

The article is a LOT longer, and contains many pics of this gal with MULTIPLE powerful RINO politicians. Boy oh boy do I loathe so many of the Repub mis"leaders".