Festering Wounds

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ballballer, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

What are y'alls thoughts? Im personally of the opinion that its op, but I'd like to hear what any of yall who think its not have to say about it first.

SaintKiwi and doubtofbuddha like this.
  2. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

it only works against 3 factions(including non zombie fw), against these it may be too strong but alot of stuff is like this.

3. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

It's pretty good. It's like Dark Favor 3, but it gets eaten by Cleanse, and Tough. Really useful against passive healing, alright against active. The 45 nora price keeps it stable-ish.

IMAGIRL likes this.
  4. Ballballer

Well it's like, festering wounds still does around 20 damage, even if cleansed immediately the following turn. Global cleanse costs the same as festering wounds in the first place, so its basically like a free 20 damage. The only real counter is champ based cleanse, and if its a single target cleanse then im still going to cast the spell anyways because the dot will tick down before the cleanse is off cooldown. That is hilarious and says something about the power level of the spell. Cleansing aura can beat it, but then the fw player just isnt going to use the spell until the cleansing aura champ is dead. Festering wounds is a stupid stupid spell.

5. Ballballer

Yes tough can beat it, but tough isnt suuuper prevalent and the spell still prevents those champs from healing, so it can be used to keep constructs(theyre who i think of when i think of tough) from getting repaired or globally healed. Furthermore, the Fw player straight up doesnt have to cast the spell. Like its not like you deploy a bunch of tough champs and he's like "oh crap I just wasted 45 nora." He's just going to sit on it and wait until there are less tough champs out or use it anyways to prevent healing globally while doing less damage

SaintKiwi likes this.
  6. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

The only source of global cleanse is Cleansing Storm, which actually washes with Festering Wounds because of the healing component. Playing Festering Wounds into Cleansing Storm means your opponent pays 5 nora for a 1 HP global heal.

7. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

cleansing storm is 40 nora not 50.

8. Ballballer

True, I was thinking about area effect stuff I guess, like cleansing emerald

SaintKiwi likes this.
  9. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Oh dang that spell is better than I thought. I've been thinking it was 50 for ages.

10. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Fixed that for you.

Also just because it has counters but we won't use them until the counters aren't there doesn't mean its counters aren't there

11. Ballballer

And I forgot to address Mark's point that yeah FS, FW, SL, UD, and depending on the theme every faction but ST, are kinda Bane Shift out of luck when festering wounds gets played. Festering wounds is either going to be crazy efficient by taking out their cleanse and doing damage at the same time, or globally preventing any healing and doing 10 damage across the board

SaintKiwi, IMAGIRL and doubtofbuddha like this.
  12. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I would not trade 4 HP on opposing units for granting them a free Emerald deploy in mid-font. That's a bad deal.

13. Ballballer

uhhh wut? you wouldnt want to get a free -4 global hp and get their only source of cleanse of the board at the same time? You realize if you destroy the emerald theyre SOL when it comes to debuffs right? They lose the ability to spot cleanse at that point

SaintKiwi likes this.
  14. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

How do you feel it compares to standard damage AEs?

15. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

This is not the nerf thread you're looking for

fattyy2k and IMAGIRL like this.
  16. Ballballer

What? They have two completely different functions.

SaintKiwi likes this.
  17. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

No, I wouldn't. FW doesn't have hard CC that fears cleanse -- it's a bunch of DoTs anyway. Getting that Emerald down will often prevent a bunch of damage at a key point in the fight, continually. Once Emerald is out, I'm not worried about spot cleanse any more, because it's already doing the thing I don't want to have done.

18. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

That same dislike apply to Tome in this context?

19. Ballballer

So kill their only source of cleanse and laugh? Or back up and wait until you can kill it? Pretty sure fw likes to stall

SaintKiwi likes this.
  20. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Was just wondering. You brought up UT has enabling Wounds, so I wondered if you felt it was a similar problem with Tome. Thanks for the answer.