Festering Wounds

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ballballer, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that every meta FW attrition bg out there uses Vendetta or Vengeful champions?
    Can't remember the amount of times people pulled a 25-30DMG Serkan on me on these matches, and now we are in a meta of cheap champ spam, so that playstyle is even better now?
    Yeah bud, flawed logic is flawed. I don't think you are doing a good job at defending it.

Edit: oh, and did you just say that it doesn't develop an effective-nora generating board outside of UT? Hahaha, most bgs dont even have access to good nora gen, much less an OP one like UT, which furthers the gap on nora. Jeez.

2. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

As an Sl player, straight nobrainer point and click cancer

3. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Something on the board which generates "effective nora." An effective-nora generating board, not an effective nora generating board. Two different things. Units with ramped damage output and defense are a great way to get that.

From what I can tell, plenty of FW decks are packing in more Vengeful options now. Honestly, I see that as an answer to the problems of more classical attrition, which we've already articulated. What I'm playing right now isn't attrition, it's a super-champ BG; the goodstuff variant Tea has been advocating is a toolbox -- that's where it gets late-game power, much more than a resource grind. Folks are edging towards Vengeful options because attrition has holes that it can't handle in any canonical way in the current environment, specifically, damage output and space control. Thus, the flurry of BG sharing in the FW forums is an expression of experimentation and development in the face of new problems, and information pulled from those threads should be seen in such a light: these are attempts at competitive decks given new constraints.

Which games have you been observing recently? Unfortunately, player profiles only show game history, not log-on time or observations. Viewing particular players or matches will inevitably color a person's perspective on the meta-game, whether mine or yours, so if there are people I haven't been observing who are a good demonstration of what your talking about, seeing them would be a huge help. (Or are you rocking some account besides warfoot, that's always a possibility.)

4. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Actually, the Vengeful builds are something akin to the release of Vendetta, which started giving Vengeful on demand. The 25-30 DMG builds on Serkan are something from like 2, 3 years ago, it's not new at all. @yobanchi wont let me lie here.
    I haven't log on to Pox for a while now, haven't even logged with my alt or to observe games.
    I was merely talking about things that I know for a fact which worked with attrition, and now that there are more Vengeful options the situation is even worse than in my time, then. Wow.

5. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

The mechanics aren't new, the contextual implementation is.

Ok, thanks for the honest reply.

The more we talk, the more I think we disagree on the details of this word. I see attrition as a particular strategic approach to play that includes some stylistic choices and excludes others, but it feels like you have a much broader definition.

Bellagion likes this.
  6. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Honestly if dark favor was increased that much it might be shoe boxed, perhaps only make the ability trigger against champs with full hp or half hp ? The issue with a spell like festering wounds is how easy it is for fw to damage units that aren't even in the fight yet from tome, tomb, dark favor abilities and a global anti-heal. In fw a few champs with dark favor will always be stronger because chances are that champ will come out multiple times during the match. You put in 5 or 6 champs with dark favor, deploy them multiple times and your looking at a lot of global damage, that can't really be defended against.

Divine favor is an entirely different issue, yeah it's annoying but your opponent only heals, whereas dark favor is usually deployed to finish off a rune that might be across the entire map and might have lived otherwise.

Just my thoughts i guess, and i've been playing a lot of fw lately, however i think festering wounds being a global anti- heal is the issue here. Example frostbite is essentially the same besides the anti-heal clause, we hear nothing about it even though it's cheaper and probably more efficient than festering wounds. The reason being is frostbite isn't a global anti-heal ability.

I recently ran an st/fw split with both spells and with dark favor spam never seen that much rage in my life.

7. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

there is a pretty big difference between damage all up front and damage over a period of time.

Damage all up front is easier for opponents to fathom and react to. Awe spell spam finisher.

Whereas if you attrition something you have to exert a lot more pieces to get to the same effect but the reaction by the receiving player is more visceral.

I hate to bring up this example but it would be like how do you want to die? Hit by a car dieing instantly- yeah that sucks. Getting cancer and slowly dieing over 20 years - frickin sucks.

Can attrition be more palatable if it was faster? Sounds counter intuitive.

NiGhtMaRiK likes this.
  8. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

and i would imagine an IS or an ST player might have less problem with this spell, but funny how SL players hate it

9. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

What are they gonna do, cast Purge?

10. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Delete FW.

11. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

lol im aware they don't particularly have good counters for it.

12. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

The old response used to be, 'don't turtle vs FW'.

13. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

So if cool downs matter then it's a problem? Sounds like the FW bonus is only useful when it's useless. Too legit to quit.

14. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

I have no problems with the spells as SP has like no healing!

15. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

I think like half of the responses in this thread are based on personal disdain for the playstyle that uses Festering Wounds. The rune counters healing and does well vs decks that deploy tons of champs. Otherwise it's just a kinda okay delayed damage spell.

People who dislike long games, deploy many champs or rely on healing will all argue against it. People who don't care as much about those things won't. My opinion is still the same: strong but not anywhere near needing changes.

Tweek516, Ultima, JellyBerry and 4 others like this.
  16. Anima26

Anima26 I need me some PIE!

pies

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  17. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

Pies is 30 and its like rolling dice you may or may not get all the pies depending on ur spaces available for cast. Some times I get the major heal on that one champion I intended the pie spell for and other times I have to settle for a little pie for everybody :oops: By the way when you my opponent take my last piece of nublin pie I hope u rot in hell and receive ghernbound.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  18. Anima26

Anima26 I need me some PIE!

Yeah but he said SP has no healing, which isnt true :p Tasty pies.

19. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

Except the pie spell costs 30 nora, not 35.

20. Djangoguy

Djangoguy The King of Potatoes

What if we discuss about ST aspect? That Bane Shift is ridiculous if you want to talk about global damage hehe @thread would you imply if UT don't proc festering wounds?