Discussing American politics as civil human beings

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BurnPyro, Sep 13, 2015.

1. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

10-13-2015

After leading the crowded Republican field since July, Donald Trump finds Ben Carson pulling even with him in the latest national NBC News online poll conducted by SurveyMonkey, beginning Tuesday before the debate through Thursday. Among Republican or Republican-leaning registered voters, Carson and Trump each have 26% support – taking up more than half of all the vote preference. Republican voters and Republican-leaning independent voters who watched the debate gave highest marks to Ted Cruz, but Trump is seen as best at leading the U.S. economy.

While the top two candidates are head and shoulders above the rest of the field, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz has climbed into third place with 10% support, the first time he has hit double-digits since after the first Republican debate this summer. His performance in the debate is likely boosting his standing in the poll; among those leaned Republican voters who watched or followed the debate coverage, Cruz gets 17% support, while Trump and Carson get 25% and 24%, respectively. After a strong performance in the August debate, Cruz’s numbers fell back to single digits. It will be interesting to watch during this typically volatile time in primary polling to see if his numbers hold – or grow – going forward.

[​IMG]

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/poll-carson-and-trump-lead-the-gop-field-cruz-gets-bump

2. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

I must refer once again to LotR lore. Chicks will always prefer Turin over Brandir.

3. DarkJello

10-31-2015

The guiding principle of the Trump plan is ensuring veterans have convenient access to the best quality care. To further this principle, the Trump plan will decrease wait times, improve healthcare outcomes, and facilitate a seamless transition from service into civilian life.

The Trump Plan Gives Veterans The Freedom To Choose And Forces The VA To Compete For Their Dollars

Politicians in Washington have tried to fix the VA by holding hearings and blindly throwing money at the problem. None of it has worked. In fact, wait times were 50% higher this summer than they were a year ago. That’s because the VA lacks the right leadership and management. It’s time we stop trusting Washington politicians to fix the problems and empower our veterans to vote with their feet.

Under a Trump Administration, all veterans eligible for VA health care can bring their veteran’s ID card to any doctor or care facility that accepts Medicare to get the care they need immediately. Our veterans have earned the freedom to choose better or more convenient care from the doctor and facility of their choice. The power to choose will stop the wait time backlogs and force the VA to improve and compete if the department wants to keep receiving veterans’ healthcare dollars. The VA will become more responsive to veterans, develop more efficient systems, and improve the quality of care because it will have no other choice.

End waste, fraud and abuse at the VA. The Trump plan will ensure the VA is spending its dollars wisely to provide the greatest impact for veterans and hold administrators accountable for irresponsible spending and abuse. The days of $6.3 million for statues and fountains at VA facilities and $300,000 for a manager to move 140 miles are over. The Trump plan will clean up the VA’s finances so the current VA budget provides more and better care than it does now.

The VA health care program is a disaster. Some candidates want to get rid of it, but our veterans need the VA to be there for them and their families.

The Trump Plan Will Make The VA Great Again

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions/veterans-administration-reforms

(Highlighting was my addition).

4. DarkJello

11-2-2015

...consternation marked the latest turn in a debate process that has grown more problematic by the day. Officials with the Republican National Committee took control of the process for the 2016 presidential election after a long and eventful debate season that many in the party thought hurt its chances in 2012.

But the campaigns have been quietly irritated by the rigid process all year and broke into open revolt last week. The RNC responded by suspending NBC from hosting its Feb. 26 event, and it put a new staffer in charge of managing the debates.

The format and content of upcoming Republican debates became increasingly uncertain on Monday after Donald Trump’s campaign said the real estate mogul would negotiate his terms directly with television executives instead of as part of a joint effort with his rivals.

The move by Trump, coming just hours after his and other campaigns huddled in a Washington suburb to craft a three-page letter of possible demands, thwarts an effort to find consensus after what most candidates agreed was a debacle hosted by CNBC last week.

As a celebrity billionaire who has been a leading factor in drawing record ratings, Trump has little interest in working to promote the wishes of his opponents, his allies said.

By negotiating on his own, Trump will aim to mold the debates to his liking, though it is unclear exactly what terms he will demand. One likely desire will be to limit the debates to two hours — following a three-hour CNN debate in September, Trump and Carson pushed CNBC to limit its forum to two hours.

Politically, Trump’s go-it-alone approach continues his pattern of casting himself as a master negotiator and the one contender who can take charge of a party that has lost its way.

“I am very confident in Mr. Trump’s ability to negotiate the best deals with the networks, which will ultimately help all of the candidates in the race,” Corey Lewandowski, Trump’s campaign manager, said in an interview. “He’s the best negotiator in the field, by a wide margin, and we’ve seen that time and time again.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...dec85e-8191-11e5-a7ca-6ab6ec20f839_story.html

5. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

If Trump were to drop out now for whatever reason, who would you favor the most? @DarkJello

Just wondering since you seem most fond of Trump by a large margin.

6. DarkJello

Carson, Cruz, and Rubio--and in that order. If Trump drops out, I don't see any of those votes going to Rubio. But Rubio is very charismatic.

7. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Can I ask what you like about Carson? He seems really quiet and somewhat unimpressive. I always figured Americans liked their president to be well spoken, charismatic and outspokenly confident. Am I wrong to say Carson doesnt appear to have those traits, or at least not as much?

8. DarkJello

Carson is opposite Trump when it comes to style and tactics. He personifies the calm intellectual. Pediatric neurosurgeon. He is a conservative, Trump is not.

9. Ragic

I'd rather see Carson as vp. He'd be a good vp. Bring the outsider vote, maybe some of the black vote, some evangelical vote. And you avoid issues with his apparent naïveté.

When trump says something non-pc, I see a political strategy. When Carson does it, I think it's just his truth falling out of his mouth. I could see that being a problem at some point.

DarkJello likes this.
  10. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Is the VP always chosen to compliment the President vote wise? What other traits/characteristics are important?

And whats the VPs role/job exactly?

11. Ragic

There is no formula, but officially he's next in line to be president. He also presides over the senate and can cast a tie breaker vote. Other than that no other official role that I know of. So if they can bring votes, all the better.

DarkJello likes this.
  12. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I see.

Thats why John McCain initially didn't mind Sarah Palin as VP. Before she appeared completely whacko. More of a public figure role.

Why did Obama choose Biden VP? Establishment votes?

13. Ragic

14. DarkJello

15. Yelmo

Yelmo Devotee of the Blood Owl

Wait hold on a second... Am I to understand that there are really people around who actually want to vote for Trump?? I thought he made enough of a fool of himself to make even the most oblivious voter go against him. I never even considered him a valid option. I guess we are worse off than I thought :(

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  16. DarkJello

Trump has done very well in the polls, at rally after rally, in debate after debate, and on many high profile interviews.

Each candidate has strengths and weaknesses, and thus each candidate has real human beings as supporters.

Which candidates do you find most enticing? Also, please share why you support that/those candidates.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  17. DarkJello

11-5-2015

The new Fox News poll, released late yesterday, is arguably the first major national survey conducted entirely after last week’s Republican debate. It makes the latest findings that much more important.

1. Donald Trump: 26% (up two points since mid-October)
    2. Ben Carson: 23% (unchanged)
    3. Ted Cruz: 11% (up one point)

3. Marco Rubio: 11% (up two points)
    5. Jeb Bush: 4% (down four points)
    5. John Kasich: 4% (up three points)
    5. Rand Paul: 4% (up one point)
    5. Mike Huckabee: 4% (down one point)

The remaining candidates are at 3% or lower, including Carly Fiorina, whose support collapsed in recent weeks. Chris Christie only has 2%, which puts him in 10th place.

Trump’s 26% is tied for the strongest support any candidate has had in a Fox News poll this year. (It’s tied with Trump’s showing in September.)

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/latest-polling-points-real-trouble-some-2016-contenders

Yet another poll (dozens by a wide range of groups have shown the same trend) with outsiders dominating the Big Government Republicans.

At least for now--the days of Bush, GW Bush, McCain, and Romney are over. No more lurching towards ever increasing big gov and big biz. Serenity.

18. DarkJello

https://soundcloud.com/abcpolitics/ben-carson-radio-ad

It just got real up here in da internezzle!!

11-5-2015

Ben Carson has released a new radio ad targeting young black voters in urban areas — with a hip-hop beat.

Carson, the lone African-American in the 2016 presidential race, unveiled the 60-second spot, titled “Freedom,” on Thursday, a day before it was scheduled to begin airing in eight markets — Atlanta, Detroit, Houston, Miami, Birmingham, Ala., Jackson, Miss., Little Rock and Memphis — at a cost of $150,000, according to ABC News.

Carson’s campaign enlisted a rapper, Aspiring Mogul, for the ad in the hopes of reaching young African-American voters “in a language that they prefer" and “in a cultural format that they appreciate.”

“Reaching them on a level they appreciate and follow, and see if we can attract their consciousness about the election,” Doug Watts, Carson campaign spokesman, told ABC. “They need to get involved and express their voice through their vote.”

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/ben-carson-rap-radio-ad-193820407.html

Yes. This just happened. For realz. Creativity FTW.

19. DarkJello

11-5-2015

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - New Jersey Governor Chris Christie and former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee failed to qualify for next Tuesday's prime-time Republican presidential debate, which will feature a smaller field of eight candidates, Fox Business said on Thursday.

Christie and Huckabee had both been on the main stage for the party's first three televised debates. But they did not meet the criteria set by the cable network in which candidates needed an average of at least 2.5 percent support in the four most recent major polls ahead of the November 2016 election.

They will join Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal and former Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum in the "undercard" debate of lower-polling candidates, who were required to score at least 1 percent in any of those four polls.

The eight candidates chosen for the main debate according to Fox Business' polling criteria were billionaire businessman Donald Trump, who ranked first, followed by retired physician Ben Carson, Florida Senator Marco Rubio, Texas Senator Ted Cruz, former Florida Governor Jeb Bush, former business executive Carly Fiorina, Ohio Governor John Kasich and Kentucky Senator Rand Paul.

The previous Republican prime-time debates had at least 10 contenders on stage.

http://news.yahoo.com/eight-u-republicans-qualify-next-prime-time-debate-001838430.html

20. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Bobby jindal will be there? Welp, gotta watch that one. That guy is a walking contradiction if I've ever seen one.