Discussing American politics as civil human beings

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BurnPyro, Sep 13, 2015.

1. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

Jindal is on the "undercard" again. He has never made it to the big boy/girl stage. I have not really noticed him lying more than any other politician.

2. DarkJello

11-6-2015

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vermont) appears to be taking off his gloves and drawing his sharpest contrast yet with his chief Democratic presidential primary rival, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

"I disagree with Hillary Clinton on virtually everything," Sanders told The Boston Globe's editorial board, according to a story published Thursday.

"What is important is to look at is the record, the track record that Hillary Clinton has had for her long and distinguished career as a public figure."

Sanders pointed to two issues as proof: the Keystone XL pipeline and the Trans-Pacific Partnership. Clinton long refused to weigh in on the pipeline until she revealed her opposition in September. And she repeatedly supported the Pacific Rim trade deal as secretary of state but shifted her stance last month to opposition. Liberal activists oppose both issues.

"How many years do you have to think about whether or not we excavate and transport the dirtiest fuel in the world?" Sanders told The Globe of the Keystone pipeline. "It didn't take me too long to think about that."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/bernie-sanders-disagree-hillary-clinton-154807131.html

3. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I don't trust anyone who has a serious complexion about his own history. He had that self portrait of himself painted as a white guy hanging in his office. Not to mention he's super anti immigrants while his parents were in the same boat.

He seems to deny where he's from and go against it all at the same time. I can't respect that.

4. DarkJello

Article from July 4, 2015 quotes Jindal as saying:

"As for me, I’m sick and tired of people dividing Americans. And I’m done with all this talk about hyphenated Americans. We are not Indian-Americans, Irish-Americans, African-Americans, rich Americans, or poor Americans – we are all Americans.

While I’m at it, here’s another thing you aren’t allowed to say, but I’m going to say it anyway: We cannot allow people to immigrate to this country so that they can use our freedoms to undermine our freedoms. ... It is not unreasonable to demand that if you immigrate to America, you must do so legally, and you must be ready and willing to embrace our values, learn English and roll up your sleeves and get to work."

And then later in the same article they quote him again:

"I am not suggesting for one second that people should be shy or embarrassed about their ethnic heritage. But I am explicitly saying that it is completely reasonable for nations to discriminate between allowing people into their country who want to embrace their culture, or allowing people into their country who want to destroy their culture, or establish a separate culture within."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ew-champion-of-the-tough-on-immigrants-crowd/

Pic of Jindal.

[​IMG]

The official portrait of Jindal. (Some artists have painted him a lot whiter, for unknown reasons).

[​IMG]

What am I missing?

5. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

bernie sanders is against the dirty nature killing fuel things? so far this is the only good thing I have heard about any of the US candidates, wich other candidates are against poisoning nature?

6. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

Do you hate the baby chick for breaking out of its shell? The earth is an egg.

7. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I assume he means 'migrate' to America since he is already explaining the direction of travel.

8. DarkJello

Assume away mate. I prefer to focus on substance. Geese migrate. Jindal was talking about humans.

9. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Jindal out, ben carson with his "china is in syria, oh wait they're not? i mean jk", hilary being hilary.

Wish I could vote Obama for a 3rd term

10. DarkJello

Obama, the emperor, has no clothes. I just hope the next POTUS is at least half as lawless.

11. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

i am beyond feeling

12. DarkJello

Anything I can do to help??

13. DarkJello

More bad news for the GOP establishment. Yay!!

thehill.com/homenews/campaign/261252-gop-in-panic-over-trump

14. DarkJello

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  15. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

16. DarkJello

Trump County, USA

America’s most reliable bellwether county has fallen for the wild man from New York.

December 4, 2015

...in nearly every presidential election since 1888, voters here in this blue-collar county have selected the winning candidate, missing only twice: Once, in 1908, when they opted for Williams Jennings Bryan instead of William Howard Taft, and again in 1952, when they chose Adlai Stevenson rather than Dwight D. Eisenhower.

In America’s most prophetic county seat, Trump enjoys a diverse coalition of support, from the 17-year-old punk high school student on the eve of his first election to the 81-year-old Kennedy voter to the kind of folks who will reshuffle their Thursday night plans to attend a county GOP “Politics and Pies” event. Coastal pundits might lament Trump’s appeal to the “low information voter”—but I can tell you one thing: Terre Haute citizens are anything but poorly informed.

And if Trump can make it here—in this hollowed-out county of swing voters, union halls, three universities and a knot of CSX railroad lines, where voters seem to have a knack for predicting unpredictable elections—he can make it anywhere.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/st...ty-predicts-every-election-trump-fever-213411

17. DarkJello

December 4, 2015

(CNN) Donald Trump is once again alone at the top of the Republican field, according to the latest CNN/ORC Poll, with 36% of registered Republicans and Republican-leaning independents behind him, while his nearest competitor trails by 20 points.

Three candidates cluster behind Trump in the mid-teens, including Texas Sen. Ted Cruz at 16%, former neurosurgeon Ben Carson at 14% and Florida Sen. Marco Rubio at 12%. All other candidates have the support of less than 5% of GOP voters in the race for the Republican Party's nomination for president.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/04/politics/donald-trump-poll-cnn-orc-national/index.html

The establishment Repub politicians continue to make zero progress. In other words, the insurgency continues.

18. DarkJello

Trump’s Rise Without Traditional Campaign Spending ‘Existential Threat’ to ‘Political Election Industry’

December 4, 2015

In an October piece that Newsweek picked up, the Hoover Institution’s Alvin Rabushka argued that the real reason the political establishment hates Trump is because of his ability to succeed without the “political election industry.”

“You see, it’s not so much that he is running as a Republican that frightens the political establishment,” Rabuska wrote. “It fears that if he wins, others could seek office in the same way. A Trump victory threatens to put the political industry out of business as it is now.”

He pointed out that “the industry is used to dominating presidential elections” and “it is the go-to crowd that determines who deserves to be a candidate, win each party’s nomination and ultimately secure the presidency. The industry regards itself as uniquely qualified to determine who is qualified to participate in the political process.”

Rabushka observed that Trump “has come under a withering barrage of criticism” for bypassing this “club”:

How dare he intrude in the “club?” How dare he campaign for the presidency without the blessing of the “club?”…How dare he expose his critics? How dare he use social media to bypass the political industry? How dare he draw large, enthusiastic crowds? How dare he speak the language of the American people instead of the prepped, canned language of the political class?

Rabushka continued:

How did Claudius become emperor of Rome? After the assassination of Caligula, the Praetorian Guard anointed Claudius emperor. “Why,” asked Claudius? “Because,” said the head of the Guard,” without an emperor, there is no need for the Praetorian Guard.

Without traditional candidates like Clinton, Bush, Kasich, Huckabee, Christie, Santorum, Pataki and others, there is no need for the Political Establishment’s Praetorian Guard. Trump threatens to undermine the political establishment order of things.

This week, David Frum, the former George W. Bush speechwriter, Tweeted that Trump poses an “existential” threat because he is “challenging the rule of money over the GOP.”

Carson is wacky, but Trump is challenging the rule of money over the GOP. The first is unsettling; the latter, an existential threat

— David Frum (@davidfrum)
    November 28, 2015

The New York Times recently
    noted that Trump’s “ability to command media attention and reach voters without depleting his campaign funds is just the latest example of the way that his campaign has upended the conventional approach candidates have used to communicate with voters.” The Times pointed out that Trump has also been “effective in using social media to attack his rivals, and many of his acrid and controversial quips on Twitter are rebroadcast by traditional news media outlets.”

It is then not surprising that one of Trump’s fiercest and most notorious critics on the airwaves this election cycle has been GOP establishment consultant Rick Wilson, who even declared that the donor class must
    “go out and put a bullet in Donald Trump.”

http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...ential-threat-to-political-election-industry/

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015