Festering Wounds

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ballballer, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Oh ya bro let me go farm my alts and maintain a decent rank cause rank is all that matters.

/endsarcasm

2. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

dude it is. if you don't have a high rank it's not possible to know anything at all about this game.

3. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

my point is you won't have much success against high skill level players playing top bgs with your fw bg.

4. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

1. Kal is probably in my top 2 for people with reasoned opinions about this game.
    2. Obv you dont know MogaBait bc you dont play the game...

5. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

Am I in your Top 200? lol.

@Pedeguerra , Mogabait is a player who has been known for playing only minos for a very long time. He became PBM by beating the crap out of basically everyone with them, so he's only really famous now.

6. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

1) Tell me who is the other one so I can have a base for comparison please. Also, I don't mind people being zealots, as longs as they are honest about it.
    2) Actually I was joking because Mogabait was around when I was playing. It's just that he was one of those guys who were always stuck on exo league. Guess he improved his game.

Edit: ah, so he is running minos and their OP door mechanic. Haha, just pox things.

7. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

1. Other one is sokolov, the guy who has the most information about the game.

2. Kk. #EYE

8. Lushiris

Well I agree that doors are OP, but the fact the only Mogabait is doing well with Minos puts me in a bit of doubt regarding the extent of the theme's overall OPness.

9. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

thats because he's the only decent player playing them. there are several others who could do the same thing with them, I don't think most of the top players are even active with competitive bgs atm.

tinydragon halfgod devilsrath dzso myself and several others could do at least the same with minotaurs. I dont think they really need to be nerfed though just a ton of other themes buffed.

Minotaur arent really any more op than any other top tier bg but they can get draw wins on certain maps.

10. Ifem21

Ifem21 The King of Potatoes

Agreed. Minos are not OP, just a top tier BG. People need to learn the difference between both.

Bellagion likes this.
  11. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I don't see why people always seem to think they have a right to heal - and to cleanse for that matter.

It's not a central part of the game, it should have counters imo.

12. MogaBait

MogaBait I need me some PIE!

I don't mean to further derail the thread, but as clarification:

1. I've only played on this account for the past 2(?) years, but I've only played Minos, Draksars, and Slags on this account and have been in top 20 with all of them for most of my time here. Admittedly, I am active at rather sporadic intervals and there was a good 2-3 weeks when I was stuck in exotic league while still trying to figure out how to effectively play slags (it's a tough theme). When active, I've been in the top 50 since Skeezick Rebellion/Grimlic's Descent. Regardless, rank has been meaningless for a long time (I'd say for most of Pox's lifespan honestly).

2. Quite a few decent players have picked up minos and stopped playing them for one reason or another. I know at least Dzso, Reaper, Badgerale, and Halfgod have played them at one point due to mirror matches I've had against them. I assumed most of them went back to other decks since, when I played and watched them, the play style didn't seem to suit them and, personally, I thought they played better with their usual decks.

3. If anyone thinks Minos or doors are breaking the game then the discussion should probably be held in a separate thread.

4. #EYE

JellyBerry likes this.
  13. Yourmom

Yourmom The King of Potatoes

I agree with this. The majority of the BG's that are meta have a good source of healing either with divine favor, charged heal, regeneration or transfer life. Of course Festering wounds is going to be auto include for FW right now because everyone and their momma is healing. There are so many runes to choose from. I encourage players to dig deep in the rune checklist and find alternate ways to win the game rather than depending on healing in their meta BG's. Or you could just play the same things and get countered. Healing is just popular right now but it isn't necessary and since it is popular right now any counters to it are going to be unpopular...

TeaScholar and yobanchi like this.
  14. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

To clarify, preventing the healing is fine. Its the global damage that goes with it that is extremely hard to efficiently counter that is bad.
    Theres a reason everybody runs festering wounds instead of decay, even though festering wounds is more expensive and can be cleansed

15. Lushiris

If the damage is the real thing, then nobody will care if the inhibiting goes away, right?

16. Ballballer

I pressed "show ignored content" just to confirm that yes, you do not understand.

17. Yourmom

Yourmom The King of Potatoes

I run Festering Wounds instead of decay because sometimes I have low sources of heals like life siphon, sac dagger, life drinker, soul drinker, etc... There isn't a more blatant counter to healing than Decay. If the anti healing got nerfed from festering wounds, then I would opt for a nora reduction of Decay or somehow add a "hidden until triggered" function. Hallowed ground champs counter Festering Wounds quite nicely and I'm seeing this become more of a thing. So I think it will balance itself out and shouldn't be touched aside from maybe a nora increase.

I also would argue that divine favor is worse than dark favor. That 12 global heal is insanely good. It's easy to pair it up with champs that have resistance abilities like void shield, resistance physical, resistance magical, etc... It's really easy to setup a support champ with a tank champ and then later deploy a range champ. That is the most common deploy strategy. There needs to be a counter to that and that is what Festering wounds/Decay is doing.

I'm also tired of seeing complaints about things that counter their BG's and claiming that they are OP. Frankly I am glad that FW exists because it puts all you healing addicts in check. Like I said before, if something is countering you hard try to think about adapting your BG rather than just claiming it to be OP.

18. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

History shows the best way to get an FW rune nerfed is to use it in an FW/X split deck. I'm surprised more splits don't jump on it now that tomb/fester won't kill half their bg any more.

19. Ballballer

"Everybody crutches on healing so i run festering wounds because i use it too and they should stop complaining"
    Well done

20. Lushiris

I feel that you are the one who doesn't understand 90% of this game's mechanics, given how you always run back to your SP BG after only losing with anything else. You do not discuss the variety of anti-healing in FW, you don't even care to realize that Frostbite does the same as Festering Wounds but is only ran for Pseudo Detection.

Every single sentence of yours in these forums is dipped into bias, and the worst is that you don't read about these game's runes at all and want people to believe you actually know something.

EDIT: if any mod feels I offended baller somehow(although I think it was more instructive t o him than anything), please remove only the first part of the post, and this edit; I do believe my answer to yourmom below was a lot more useful.

How many true counters do you run in your FW BG right now? Do you have Shatter? Detection? Cleansing( yes don't forget FW has spot Cleansing)?

People complain about FW because it has the easiest counters in the game, being able to make 18 champion BG's without a single care for what the opponent might run. It's the faction with the most counters to healing( 3), but its players can't let go of one, even though it shoeboxes the other 2.

@Yourmom , this is vastly different from the situation in our game; UD does lack a good generic counter to healing, despite the fact that over the years it has been getting a few heals( and quite a bit of inhibiting). FW can easily counter healing, but the thing is that dealing damage as you counter healing and detect is much better than any other counter. I agree that healing is a powerful mechanic and should always be kept in check, but globally shutting it down isn't the solution.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    Pattn199 likes this.