Game client performance issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ButterFaceGirl, Jan 22, 2016.

1. ButterFaceGirl

ButterFaceGirl Active Member

After having a client opened for 2 hours or so (maybe even less) the performance becomes really bad. You have audio lag and general low fps issue making the game unplayable.

What is going on with this game? It's a 2d game from 10 years ago why does it cause performance issue on 2015 hardware?

2. prymusedek

prymusedek I need me some PIE!

Try to run it with steam it worked for me ;)

3. Cinder405

Cinder405 I need me some PIE!

Yeah I experience the same issues. Since I don't actually have a PC and only a laptop with great graphics card I play it on my laptop. I still don't understand why this game makes my laptop heat up to the point that it's too hot to the touch.

Ballballer likes this.
  4. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

@Sokolov @Senshu @Moles
    I found kind of a fix for this problem.

I play Wakfu, its a game that runs on Java and consumes 1000 x times more resources than Pox and has the same issue, i found in their forums a way to increase a lot the time before the lagging.
    First of all, the reason for Java to lag your PC is because it loads from the disk a lot of stuff(effects, sprites, etc.) for your games but after a game it does not delete that data, it thinks you might use it again soon so it just stores all the loaded data, consuming memory. So basically, it does not take out the trash.

The proposed solution is to increase the amount of memory(the storing capacity) Java is allowed to use (normally is 256mb to 512mb for default), to run wakfu i had to increase it to 1G and it runs smoothly at least 2 hours.
    It's really simple to do

I copy paste the guide for you peoples:

{Guide}
    You may need to download java to it's lattest version.

Go to Control panel.
    [​IMG]

Go to java (whatever version you have)
    [​IMG]

Go to Java tab, View, you may need to click add. Double click on "run time parameters" then type in the code (see below) I use -Xms4096m & -Xms4096m .
    [​IMG]

Now lets talk about how much memory we should allow java to use. I personally let Wakfu use about 700-800 Mb per account I have 8Gb of RAM. I can easily play 6 accounts on -Xms4096m & -Xms4096m.

Xms sets the initial amount of memory.
    Xmx sets the static amount of memory.

So depending on the amount of RAM you have and the amount of RAM you can allocate for Wakfu that is up to you. Please remember give your operating system enough RAM to operate.
    Under any circumstance give Java the same ammount of RAM you have, give it half your Ram at most (the rest of the process in your PC need Ram too).

The code for this is:-
    • -Xms512m & -Xmx512m - not recommend I think you need more than this
    • -Xms1024m
    • -Xms2048m
    • -Xms3072m
    • -Xms4096m

To seperate the Xms and Xmx just make sure to use 1 space.

Click OK, Click Apply.
    {/Guide}

My PC has 4GB of Ram and i use "-Xms1024m" and wakfu goes great.

5. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

Very good Guide, for the most part you are correct about the memory usage in Java. There are some other things going on that contribute to this. It is completely up to the players if they want to edit their settings, but we will put a link to your post in the trouble shooting thread. 284 Fictional forum points for the contribution!

Kampel likes this.
  6. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

except it's bugged to Firk trying to launch from steam

7. JaceDragon

JaceDragon I need me some PIE!

I have no problem

8. fattyy2k

fattyy2k I need me some PIE!

I used to have an issue as well so I just stick with the regular client. I might try steam again tonight

9. Senshu

In Burn's case it seems like it is that his laptop manufacturer hasn't released a new driver for his integrated graphics and his computer won't allow him to install the latest Intel drivers. Driver support for laptops can be an issue especially if the manufacturer has proprietary drivers.

10. fattyy2k

fattyy2k I need me some PIE!

That might be my issue as I use an all-in-one (until I can afford a new computer). It's graphics card is integrated

11. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I have gotten a new laptop, and it's equally shitty (and this is sick machine dog).

It will randomly allow me to launch it, randomly disallow it. So I have to try at random intervals. Normal client works a thousand times better.

12. Senshu

It's good to hear you got a new PC, but that is really odd. It sounds like there might be a security conflict for it to be intermittent. Is it a Windows 10 PC? You may need to manually set it to be allowed in the security settings, but that is really odd. Do you have Mcafee on that computer?

13. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

win 8 and no mcafee

honestly though, i just use the normal client

14. Kampel

I quote myself:

"Under any circumstance give Java the same ammount of RAM you have, give it half your Ram at most (the rest of the process in your PC need Ram too)."

15. Kampel

Oh ok go on xD, please if it work tell us about it in this thread and spread the word!

16. ButterFaceGirl

You should change the code to remove stuff from memory then.

17. Senshu

This is a lot easier said than done. Some of it has to do with how Java itself works. Pox Nora runs on a proprietary game engine, so we actually have to develop the tools to address this type of stuff. On top of that Java is always changing so what it supports and doesn't support it a bit of a moving target. But, we are working on some back-end stuff to make it more efficient, but as mentioned in the Weekend Tournament thread this is actually far more complicated to do even if it seems really straight forward. We have many plans for Pox Nora some are New content like the League system some are far less glamorous like memory efficiency.

18. ButterFaceGirl

Rewrite the game from scratch on C++ and Lua.

Welcome to 2016.

19. Cinder405

Cinder405 I need me some PIE!

You gonna cough up thr money for this to happen?

20. ButterFaceGirl

How big is the pox codebase?