Throne of the Circle nerf

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alakhami, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

It's kind of neither here nor there. When I don't nerf something for too long, people complain about that too :)

In this case, there was, to me, a reasonable nerf that could be done without code change that I felt didn't shoebox the rune, so I did it.

And now based on feedback, I am considering a different change (which WOULD require some extra code time), but I wouldn't say it is necessarily the "better" way.

I agree with you though, I usually don't think faster is the better way, but in this case, it seemed like the right thing to do AND was fast. And I always prefer simple changes over full redesigns because you end up introducing a lot of additional variables.

2. abrasax

abrasax The King of Potatoes

players always complain 90% of times is only whine, don't trust the ppls that says this game have small players base because is unbelanced.

3. Sokolov

I take feedback and make decisions. That's all I can do. Sometimes you will agree, sometimes you won't.

4. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

@Sokolov FYI, Throne of the Circle is broken. I just tried it out a few times in campaign games and Grand Entrance doesn't work. Oddly enough, Amplify Magic stopped working on the relic as well. The relic literally does nothing.

5. Sokolov

I'll test it. Looks like for some reason, Grand Entrance is preventing Amp Magic from working in some cases, very odd.

I'll replace it with the old Spell Resistance/Magic Nova ability for now.

So Throne will be global Magic Nova and Spell Resistance (no Magic Amp) for now.

Krokodil and Tweek516 like this.
  6. Legnazza90

Legnazza90 I need me some PIE!

The only problem with the thing is the fact that Nova is not in the attack chain.

Netherzen likes this.
  7. ButterFaceGirl

ButterFaceGirl Active Member

I just seems to me that the there was a thread complaining about throne just barely a week before it got nerfed.

This cycle is way too short.

You need people to play the game a bit and find out if its OP and find out the counter. It's not like everybody on ranked was playing throne, they just seem to be playing whatever they do. And then you already nerf it.

You don't want a situation where people are making a bg and then 2 days later its nerfed into the abyss.

Not like magic amp is completely crushed with magic immunity. Or that nova has 3 turn cd and you have to put your squishy wizard in the middle of the enemy team.

This game has basically turned from "make a nice bg and play really well" into "cry on the forums a lot and get other people's bg nerfed" game.

Bondman007 likes this.
  8. Sokolov

I've been looking at Wizards/Fae, Magic Amp since Tiny started with some of these runes weeks ago. It's partly where the Fae nerfs came from.

As I said, this patch was just stuff leftover that didn't make it to the mid-term launch (which had a hard date).

Like right now, I am already getting Expansion 28 patch ready and I am designing runes for Expansion 29, by the time Expansion 28 patch actually comes out weeks will have gone by from the stuff I am doing now. So what you see in a patch could have been added a few days before it came out, or weeks before it came out.

In the case of ability changes, it could be a month or two sometimes (because priorities shift and things get punted).

I don't understand why when something is nerfed the entire BG is "nerfed into the abyss." Why is it that no matter how I nerf something it is always considered to swing from OP to shoebox? I don't really understand this rhetoric. I NEVER try and shoebox stuff. That is never my goal. Are wizards shoebox now? I don't understand.

~

Ultimately, it doesn't matter what I change or when... some will be say changes happen too fast, too often. Others will say it takes too long to nerf stuff.

Sometimes, I am told that I listen to players too much and that's why everything is terrible. But then when I nerf something people didn't talk about, I am asked "Who asked for a nerf to that?"

So basically I can't win because it doesn't matter when or how something changes, there's a way to claim it's wrong.

Also, it seems whatever gets played gets called OP, so if I nerfed everything that people said was OP... I'd be nerfing all day, every day, so that's really not what happens :)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    Tweek516 likes this.
  9. Sokolov

So here's how I decide what to nerf:
    • I play games
    • I watch games
    • I look at data
    • I take feedback from players
    • I look at runes/abilities and compare to other ones
    All that combined gives me some ideas as to what might be problematic - sometimes it's an individual change, sometimes it affects many champs (for example, right now I am iteration over ranged champions and making small adjustments to most).

If someone complains about something, I usually push them to explain why they feel that way (whether I agree or not, I do this to get the proper feedback). Sometimes, I will go play it myself, and look for games where people are playing it. I also confer with the data to see if that tells me anything about the situation.

Of course, at the end of the day, I have to make a decision. Sometimes I make good ones, sometimes I don't, but it's not like I just take random people's feedback and put it into the game.

Xirone likes this.
  10. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

I have been complaining about throne months ago.

super71 and Sealer0 like this.
  11. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

I don't think any IS runes have been shoeboxed lately. I think people just get attached to using OP stuff and struggle to adjust.

Tweek516, doubtofbuddha and BurnPyro like this.
  12. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Sounds about right for IS

13. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

Exactly.

14. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

Said the guy who isn't attached to Korsien.

15. chris0024

chris0024 I need me some PIE!

I'm only answering to this silly thread because I exist :D

16. PoxBattleMaster

PoxBattleMaster New Member

It's a good Nerf! Global Nova so OP all wizards can spam nova anywhere... Anyone who think its balanced are the one's abusing it... Get over it and move on, cause it will never be back!

super71 likes this.
  17. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

And... it's back.

Xirone, Tweek516, ChiaoLung and 4 others like this.
  18. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

The throne nerf was very necessary, probably because global abilities are op. Without magic amp it's still too strong, nova is the problem magic amp is fine, spell resistance is fine, a global 9 damage ability for all wizards is not okay. People seem to complain about keeping the wrong things in this game and don't seem to realize what's op because they use it.

Wizards have been one of my favorite themes since I started playing pox, I might not be great at the game but I recognize broken pretty quickly.

@Sokolov Maybe instead of removing nova altogether like the majority of the player base wanted to keep the cry babies happy you could make it magic nova 2 ? This way the throne gets a nerf, and is still useful.

Edit: Can't even imagine what people would say if ud or st had a relic that granted global novas, look at it from that perspective and realize just how silly the relic is @Gutsa .

19. PoxBattleMaster

PoxBattleMaster New Member

Then Lets abuse it together!

20. ButterFaceGirl

ButterFaceGirl Active Member

No the problem is wizards are mostly squishy dorks who would die if you are not careful and do some suicidal nova runs.