This game has no way to comeback

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Revengercm, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Revengercm

Revengercm I need me some PIE!

Just got online.

50 players.

It's over.

I think I'll comeback in 2-3 years and then I'll just buy all the newest runes with shards. It's sad.

I don't get why SOE (daybreak games as of today) really made this a cash cow. DC Universe, Planetside 2, H1Z1 are nothing like this. Daybreak actually had a better population.

2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Population levels have actually been pretty stable for awhile now, but it does get pretty relatively low when it is 2 or 3 AM in the US and morning in Europe (this is true for most games not geared towards the Asian market).

We have added a lot of stuff in the past year or so with retention and player experience in mind and will continue to do so (there's some big stuff coming in 2016, we'll announce when we can).

It's never going to get the player levels of mass market multi-million dollar products like DC Universe (which costed over 50 million and over 5 years to make, and I am pretty sure still hasn't made back its money), but Pox isn't going anywhere :)

Kendoshi, Ssharsted, bambino and 16 others like this.
  3. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

A propos ...

Gearing towards the Asian market?

4. Thailady

Thailady Well-Known Member

poxnora devs have ever had bad strategy for promoting this game.
    I think arounnd 99% of the gamers in the world dont known about this game.
    And is a shame because is a very deep and fantastic game.
    Little playerbase=long game queue =bad matchmaking = i not play (bored to queue 10 minuts and then matmatching vs a limited player when i'm standard 4 for example....).

Admin and devs pls do something..... fast.

TIP: milions of users NOW, are unhappy of blizzard news on healthstone game (introduction of standard format).......... maybe go promoting POXNORA? i bet 99% of them dont ever have ear about this game, and they will like it.
    We are speaking about MILIONS of potentials new players, not 10 or 100.....
    wake up.
    Do something pls.
    Because u cannot say poxnora is doing great.. wen we have 200 players online (when lucky and the day after a exspansion)... WOW.... (2/3 of those play single player, 1/3 of those are ever the same players who smash a standard player in 2 turns. gg) (other example: i really want play 2v2 but is EVER impossible doing it, becaus eif i queue, take me around 1 hour for starting a game and when it start is 2 standard players vs 2 limited ones with combo decks for pwn ur ass hard. gg again.. very funny).

Long rant.
    Sorry for my bad english. But if u are smart enought u can understand aniway. Otherwise complain and show ur ignorance.

Heart likes this.
  5. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

I'm too stupid for your english :(

6. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

Actually, quiet a few do know about it unfortunately. This game has had not one, but two, Steam launches and both brought in some players, however, it didn't retain them. That platform reaches almost 10mil+ players, so Pox has had its chance.
    It boils down to:
    Pox is old and dated in graphics (although I personally like them)
    Sound that doesn't work...
    Steep learning curve...and our good 'ole new player sharks make sure they have no enjoyable experience...ammarite?
    There are 2,000 runes to get, and although it is easier now compared to when I entered the game, it is still very difficult to get runes quickly/efficiently (this is in my opinion)
    The reliance on 3rd party websites are pretty heavy in this game (meaning the player must go off site to get runes and/or info they should be able to get here)
    Not enough players/interest to support a stream channel
    Not across any other platform (android, IOS, which is a back breaker ultimately)
    Low budget (That's why we have Sokolov)*

The reality is that PoxNora is a great game. It has had its day in the sun and now retains the players that just can't find anything like it. The ultimate reality is that it will likely be an error 404 one day, but I truly believe (and hope they are in secret) working on a Pox 2.0 (or 3.0 depending on how long you've been here). It seems that is the only potential way for this game to live on.
    An ideal PoxNora that would have 1000+ players on all the time would:
    be on a non-java platform (able to support Andriod, IOS, etc)
    have sharper graphics
    music that doesn't quit (sigh)
    A more innovative/rewarding ranking system
    Better AI
    Developers that didn't listen to the whining of the community about every single decent rune in the game being OP and used win/loss and appearance % to determine nerfs (and even that would be skewed by good players)
    You get my point...

* totally joking Sokobro...you know we love ya even if we don't say it all the time.

7. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

Many people don't realise it but computer games (especially online multiplayer computer games) are not timeless. They eventually die out, and to be perfectly honest pox has run for quite some time already.

The only way for a franchise to keep going is to release new game every once in a while (see counter strike).

Maybe Wow will be an exception, but I doubt it. Eventually someone will make a better mmorpg and people will go there - or wow 2 will come around.

8. Sokolov

Incidentally, what criteria would you use to change runes if observation, data and feedback are not valid criterion?

9. Poxjedi

Poxjedi I need me some PIE!

Nothing over! I love pox like a crack head loves pizza. If no one was on, I would play campaigns all day. Pox is hands down the best mmotbs in the face of the planet. No other game has the flavor, verity and depth of Pox. I admit there are some things that could use work, but now that the games is back in the hands of DoG I see improvements on the horizon. Pox is in the hands of people who view it as a labor of love & not a cow to be milked until it dies.

It's not over....

10. Sokolov

Yep. That said, we are doing some stuff this year that might reboot things a bit and also fix some longstanding issues.

Ssharsted, Gnomes, IMAGIRL and 2 others like this.
  11. Heart

Heart I need me some PIE!

I discovered poxnora by typing in top ten turn based strategy games. On that list, poxnora was number 1.

So obviously if somebody REALLY likes TBS games, they'll find themselves here atleast once.

Poxjedi likes this.
  12. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Music bug please? hate having to pause my video to disable the music then re-enable it to get it running again.

Heart likes this.
  13. Sokolov

I choose to work on PoxNora, incidentally :)

Ssharsted, Bondman007 and Poxjedi like this.
  14. Sokolov

That is one of the items. As has been explained, it's an unfortunate side effect of changes Java has made which broke a bunch of our stuff. For awhile, Pox even had no sound. The "fix" should also address the lag.

15. Sokolov

One of the things that I've found when I talk to people in the games industry is that if you are a game designer, you've played PoxNora. It's one of those games that's been around long enough and has been successful enough that the name is often recognized despite the small but loyal following that remains. That said, the reach has always been quite small, though things like Hearthstone is undoubtedly going to help with games of this type going forward.

Ssharsted, Lushiris, IMAGIRL and 5 others like this.
  16. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Have you guys ever considered just going onto the heartstone forums and in game and just saying hey want a better game thats similar to this game. go play pox. and then you steal all of blizzards business, and then your servers blow up cause too many people played the game at once. and for the first time ever pox players will complain about too many people in game

17. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

I'm pursuing this rapping career. Once I get a big enough audience I'll just drop a poxnora link and say "hey guys who likes video games you can find me chilling here" (or something along those lines). But then the problem is the fact that the new influx of players would be russian and majority of russians don't know english so it could actually ruin the game.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  18. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

It worked when MtG:tactics was released.

19. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Do you think you could link me to that list? I'm having trouble finding it, and I'd like to give it a read.

20. Heart

Heart I need me some PIE!

That was 3-4 years ago, but I'll try my best

SPiEkY likes this.