2016 Primaries, Caucuses & Conventions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DarkJello, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Anyway, no one seems to want to talk about Clinton, so back to Trump I guess:

Is anyone, on the right or the left, concerned about his potential conflicts of interest? He has stake in numerous business ventures to a level never before seen in a presidential candidate that I know of (unless you count slave owners from the old days). And his stuff can't just be put in a blind trust in the same way as they are primarily business ventures that are currently operating and not just investments.

If we are concerned about the influence of "special interests" and "crony capitalism" in politics, how well does having someone who runs 500+ companies being the President and able to make decisions that could benefit his companies over others make you feel?

I personally think this is always going to be a problem on some level in this type of government and it's just something we have to live with, but I suspect that if he does become President there will be no end to the scrutiny of his actions and how they might affect his businesses.

2. Sokolov

Glad I am not crazy. I talk politics a lot but that response shocked me.

DarkJello likes this.
  3. Sokolov

Also, Cruz is pretty funny to me, because he seems to have some convictions about budget and other such things, but it's awkward how he says stuff like:

"This bill is symptomatic of a larger problem in Washington – an addiction to spending money we do not have. The United States Senate should not be in the business of exploiting victims of natural disasters to fund pork projects that further expand our debt" and voted against a bipartisan bill to provide relief to victims of Hurricane Sandy.

But then when Texas was hit by flooding, he said this:

"Today, Texans are hurting. They're hurting here in San Marcos. They're hurting in Wimberley. They're hurting in Houston. They're hurting across the state.
    There are a series of federal statutory thresholds that have to be satisfied initially. It appears that those thresholds will be satisfied by the magnitude of the flooding. Democrats and Republicans in the congressional delegation will stand as one in support of the federal government meeting its statutory obligations to provide the relief to help the Texans who are hurting."

Ok? What ever happened to not exploiting victims of natural disasters to fund pork projects that further expand our debt? Or does that only apply to states that Cruz doesn't care about?

For reference, Sandy killed 285 people and with 75 billion in damage estimates. Texas flooding in 2015 when he made those statements killed 47.

BurnPyro likes this.
  4. Sokolov

Oh, and also, more recently, Cruz (along with Lee (R-Utah)) has held up a bill providing assistance to Flint. Cruz has since lifted his hold, but as far as I know Lee's hold is still in place.

And then Cruz tried to blame the whole thing on Democrats:

"You know, there’s an interesting parallel between Flint and New Orleans. Both cities have been governed with one-party government control of far-left Democrats for decades.”

Ignoring the fact that everything happened with Flint after they got a Republican governor and that guy took away the local authority's powers and gave it to people he appointed, who then screwed the pooch. If Cruz really had a problem with government over-reach and wants local governance, he should be harping on Synder instead of attacking Democrats who weren't even in office when the whole power grab and subsequent fallout went down.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
    BurnPyro and DarkJello like this.
  5. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

I was just answering your question dude.

DarkJello likes this.
  6. Sokolov

Well, it wasn't a question so much as a rhetorical mirror of the initial statement that started the conversation which basically stated we shouldn't care about "political rhetoric" when there is ISIS in the world.

George Soros only got mentioned because Ragic seemed to suggest that while rhetoric shouldn't be talked about, Soros should be. Thus my somewhat sarcastic statement of, "Soros? But what about the more important ISIS?!"

I thought this was obvious since I previously and recently argued that you can care about more than one thing at a time, etc. Which is why it annoyed me that, once again, you picked out a specific small part of a whole discussion out of context to argue with me on a point I wasn't even making. It literally feels like you specifically look for stuff that I post to argue about instead of participating in the overall discussion. For example, in this case, you didn't comment on the entire reason Soros was even mentioned.

In any case, apologies for the misunderstanding :)

Note: As stated, I have no disagreement that Soros is an important figure

Ohmin likes this.
  7. Sokolov

Clinton 2008:
    • against same-sex marriage
    • pro-Iraq war
    • 2nd amendment supporter
    • opposed driver licenses to illegals
    Clinton 2016:
    • backs same-sex marriage
    • anti-Iraq war
    • anti-gun
    • advocates for illegals

IMAGIRL, darklord48, BurnPyro and 2 others like this.
  8. Sokolov

Incidentally, if someone wants to make a thread about individuals or corporations funding groups that may be causing civil unrest, I'd be interested in that one.

DarkJello likes this.
  9. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

Too worn out today to go into much detail now... but the MSM has been bullying me, and anyone that shares similar beliefs and principles, for at least a few decades. Every single night they call us racists, homophobes, mysoginists, xenophobes, bullies, fools, dummies, self-absorbed tards, deniers of truth, and religious zealots. (I certainly missed a few, but close enough). Trump, a very imperfect man, is boldly standing up to the filthy rich bomb throwers in the media and giving better than he is getting. For this alone, he has earned my vote. I have turned the other cheek long enough. It is beyond clear that the media in MuriKa is an accidental enabler of crony capitalism at best, and a complicit partner at worst. If the only thing Trump accomplishes is knocking the media down a few pegs, I will be happy.

One betrayal after another by the GOP was the last straw, btw.

I don't believe Cruz can defeat Hillary.

But I think Trump might be able to defeat her.

I believe he will continue to sweep aside all opponents... If he does become POTUS... And actually get us back on track to thinking like a champ, instead of the suicidal current path of mediocre at max so as not to hurt anyone else's feelings. The goal of trying to force every race and gender and (fill in the blank category) into or near perfect balance in 100s of different measurements is, sorry to be so blunt, MUCH more harmful than helpful. It is an unnatural and utopianesque idea, and only those with delusions of grandeur have sufficient faith that other fallible humans can achieve success in this regard.

Trying to force competent adults to "be good" cannot, has not, and will not ever work.

10. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Infowars is claiming that the RNC has called into question the need for a primary "election" (and generally started the argument that the voters don't matter). I'm looking for actual direct quotes, but my computer audio is dead currently, so I can't scum through videos which makes it harder to pin down.

If anyone else has more info, it could be interesting.

DarkJello likes this.
  11. DarkJello

Donald Trump predicted there will be large scale riots if the establishment prevents him from becoming the Republican nominee.

“I don’t think you can say we don’t get it automatically,” he said. “I think you’d have riots. I think you’d have riots. I’m representing … many, many millions of people, in many cases first-time voters …Many Democrats, many independents coming in. That’s what the big story is really.”

“The really big story is how many people are voting in these primaries. The numbers are astronomical,” Trump added.

“Now, if you disenfranchise those people, and you say, well, I’m sorry, you’re 100 votes short, even though the next one is 500 votes short, I think you would have problems like you’ve never seen before…I think bad things would happen, I really do. I believe that. I wouldn’t lead it, but I think bad things would happen.”I'm

UNBOUND REPUBLICAN DELEGATE: VOTERS DON’T DECIDE CANDIDATE, ESTABLISHMENT DOES
    "That's just the way it is"

I think they are jumping the gun about the unbound delegate's statement. But the status quo is absolutely freaking out now--as well as the radical Left and Glenn Beck--and is desperate to find anything that will stop Trump from pushing this country in a different direction. He has thrown the chess board into the ceiling fan, and the pieces are still spinning back towards the floor. I will post more in a few minutes.

Edit:

Holy firk!!! The vid is much worse than I thought. If his view is the norm, we are in worse shape as a country than I had realized. If. Back to researching.

12. DarkJello

So far all of these are vids, sorry. At least u can see them later without much searching.

SEAN HANNITY: IF GOP ELITES STEAL NOMINATION FROM TRUMP OR CRUZ, “I’M WALKING” (VIDEO)

Are they going to cut their nose to spite their face?

HOW THE GOP ELITE PLAN TO ROB DONALD TRUMP
    Cleveland, ladies and gentlemen, won’t be for the faint of heart

RNC ELITES ASK WHY BOTHER WITH ELECTIONS

RNC openly preparing to ignore will of voters and steal GOP nomination from Donald Trump

ROGER STONE: TRUMP HAS PLAN TO STOP ELECTION THEFT

Trump well aware of GOP chicanery

13. DarkJello

14. DarkJello

And here is a segment about the head of the RNC:

http://www.infowars.com/rnc-elites-ask-why-bother-with-elections/

Reporter says candidates are running for POTUS, and Priebus says they are only trying to join the GOP, and she disagrees, and around and around. Priebus pretends to think Trump voters approve of the GOP and want DJT to join the status quo. And folks wonder why 10s of millions of American voters feel betrayed? My firking dawg this is nutty!! I will watch this like a hawk.

15. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

ragic did not say political rhetoric should not be talked about, ragic said quit being a f'ing panzy about it.

comparing trump's rhetoric to hitler's rise to power is ridiculous especially in light of all the actual fascism in existence today. if you really want to safeguard the world against the next hitler focus your outrage on the people who are actually performing genocide.

i shouldn't have to tell you that the comparison is ridiculous. and i shouldn't have to explain why its ridiculous. is your strategy to just wear me down by feigning obtuseness and demanding tedious explanations? its working.

16. Sokolov

And, as you stated "focus your contrived outrage where it belongs" suggesting that Trump's rhetoric is less worthy of discussion than ISIS in a thread about political candidates. My response was that it seems like one can care about both at the same time.

I have pretty clearly explained my position and admitted we had an misunderstanding where I was talking generally and thought you were also (and explained why it seemed that way) but you intended to speak specifically about the video.

My later statement regarding that was not directed at you, but explaining to Ohmin why I responded to him in the manner I did (because at the time, I was reading your post as a general statement rather than a specific one due to lack of context clues). It was not intended to misrepresent your position.

As for the continued hitler stuff, is your strategy to just keep talking about only what you want to talk about and ignore the tangential discussions (whether they happened intentionally or otherwise)?

Clearly we are talking about slightly different things so I don't understand why you take my statements and try and apply it to the video only when we have both acknowledged that we aren't talking about the same thing?

Are you trying to wear yourself out by creating a false controversy here?

~

TL;DR - We are talking about slightly different things. If you continue to read my statements as though I am talking about what you are talking about, then you are, indeed, going to wear yourself out.

17. Sokolov

This makes me sad when caring about others is seem as "suicidal" and "mediocre." For me, this is everything that is wrong about the right's "every man for themselves" thinking instead of wanting to work together as a community.

That is not the goal. The goal is to help those who are less fortunate so we, as a society, can succeed together. Personal merit still comes into play, but we allow that merit to shine instead of being buried under discrimination, poverty, or other things outside of that person's control. Is it ever going to be perfect? No. Can we try and make sure as many of the people in our society has a chance to succeed? Yes.

(Note that this isn't a government or non-government thing - there are various avenues to make this happen.)

There is nothing natural or unnatural about it (I really think "it's unnatural" is generally a fairly weak argument in most contexts, but that's a broader discussion).

It's simply a philosophy. Different natural creatures have different ways of working within their society. Some are highly individualistic, others fairly communal. Humans have the interesting track of being more self-aware, but in general, throughout history, I'd argue that most of the advances humanity has made has been a result of, or at least correlated with, greater co-operation instead of less.

I believe morality and ethical behavior has been a fairly critical part of human development. Many laws are in place to give us a way to deal with those who would choose to benefit only themselves at the expense of others. I'd argue most of these have, indeed, worked, and improved society. Laws against murder, ****, and other such things have created a better society for the average person than one in which such behaviors are not criminalized or not seen as taboo (for example, societies where women are considered property or children are sold as sex slaves). This last bit is a bit ethnocentric, perhaps, but I do believe women and children are people too.

BurnPyro likes this.
  18. Sokolov

Re: Trump/Primaries/GOP

Primaries are a weird thing to me. If the idea is that the Party chooses the Candidate, then why have Primaries in the first place? Why do all this running around if you just want the delegates to choose who they want?

Of course, this has always been the case, and is true even in the EC in the actually national election. The delegates aren't, as far as I understand, required to actually vote in the way the people vote. They do, but it isn't a rule.

At the same time, if the GOP didn't want Trump to be their nominee or to be part of their party... why did they let him run? Or was there no way to prevent him just doing so? Does the party have no power to say, "Nope, we don't recognize you as a Republican, and you cannot run under our banner?"

The whole thing just makes little sense to me. I mean, in theory, can a liberal run as a Republican? He won't win anything anywhere, of course, but is it allowed?

In any case, Trump has certainly mobilized the mob, and we are entering a situation where there might be problems if the mob doesn't get what it wants.

Devil's Advocate Side for A Moment

Isn't the entire idea of the US' systems so that there isn't mob rule? That the US ISN'T a democracy? But in this case, we are arguing that Trump should become the nominee because more people voted for him? So if the "elite" decide the mob is wrong on this, should they not have the power to stop the mob?

Jefferson said, "Democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%." Does this not apply in this situation?

19. DarkJello

Choosing to work together is great. Being forced to work extra hours each week because someone else wants to relax ain't legit. In fact, it is theft.

What the gvt does is push many down while allowing others to remain comfy and relaxed. Sometimes the gvt helps those that cannot, but all too often the stolen/printed funds go to those that will not. And thus, as a country, we slide further into the abyss.

I agree that cooperation is great. All too often that is not the reality. Corruption is king.

Laws to stop/punish bad behavior are helpful. I oppose laws that try to coerce me into "goodness." Smacks way too much of religious zealotry.

Which of your comments is ethnocentric?

Women and children are every bit as much people as men.

I am glad we live in North America. Internet is great. Technology is win. Stay classy man.

20. Sokolov

This happens often in free market transactions, where rent-seeking and exploitative behavior is rewarded, while production work is often devalued in favor of those who hold capital.

Indeed. Those with power and wealth have been allowed to exploit people for far too long. They have control not only over capital but also over the political system.

Personally, I think things like anti-abortion laws fall into this category of "religious zealotry." But of course that's a fairly deep subject.

The ones where I am judging other cultures based on the values of my own. i.e. we value women as people, and I am judging other cultures who value them less

Given the last 2 points of "great" and "win" for internet and technology. I am not entirely sure if North America is #1 in those areas. At least not internet :D

DarkJello likes this.