2016 Primaries, Caucuses & Conventions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DarkJello, Feb 2, 2016.

1. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I'm not complaining, I'm informing you.

Truth ftw, research is snazzy. Have a great day.

DarkJello likes this.
  2. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

Well played, and I appreciate your stylistic clarification.

3. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

One thing that strikes me about the US is that the emphasis seems much more on the single person of the president.

In the UK, you vote more for the party and you will be aware of the important ministers (the main opposition party also form a 'shadow' cabinet which has a ongoing role in parliment) of the major parties as well as the prime minister. The internal dynamics of a party are important to how they govern, and ministers can both vote down laws put forward by the PM, and can call for a vote to overthrow him.

In the US it seems like the president campaigns as a one man band, and when he gets in the presidential apparatus just forms around him and does his bidding.

This seems surprising if it is true, and the reporting of it here probably leaves out details. But my question is how much would a president have to negotiate support from senior figures in the party.

BurnPyro and Geressen like this.
  4. DarkJello

I am fairly certain the last two US presidents almost always follow orders.

Usually one needs GOBS of support from the top, but Bernie and Donald appear to be bucking the trend. Voters are flocking to each, IMO, because revolution is in the air. Other reasons too, but outsider is > insider this time around.

5. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Nice post and the above is true, however since elections don't last for god damn ever and you generally vote for a party or a person on that parties list I find it works better than that hot mess that apparently takes 2 years, that may just be my opinion and preference.

DarkJello likes this.
  6. DarkJello

March 36, 2016

Chastened by negative public reaction to his recent comments that “real Christians” don’t support Donald Trump and “all throughout the South the Evangelicals are not listening to their God,” radio talk show host Glenn Beck is walking back his criticism of Christians who support the New York City billionaire and GOP frontrunner.

But now he’s claiming that Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX), whom he has endorsed for President, “was anointed for this time.”

On Friday, less than 24 hours after he proclaimed on his television program that “no real Christian says ‘I want that guy'” Donald Trump, Beck issued an apology in an article posted on his website.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...ks-back-blast-of-christians-supporting-trump/

Better late than never. I cannot decide whether HuffPo or Beck is more irrational in r/t DJT.

7. DarkJello

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  8. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Glenn back is an utter lunatic. Far worse than a limbaugh or Bill 'O Rilley.

Whackos who believe that they're doing what's right because of some higher power are far more dangerous. He also has this tendency to cry on his shows for no reason.

His latest joke, trying to make out that Obama was a communistic Maoist because the Cuban prez was holding up his arm during their encounter for pics (and Obama was clearly uncomfortable with it), but somehow that signified that Obama was in with the communists because he let the guy hold up his arm. He was recognized as one of them!

Only in American shows, I swear

9. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

see also: ISIS.

DarkJello likes this.
  10. StormChasee

StormChasee The King of Potatoes

Standing for securing the border and against illegal immigration are not racist. Anybody who claims otherwise is spouting nonsense out where the sun doesn't shine.

DarkJello likes this.
  11. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Agreed.

Some other things some candidates let slip are though

DarkJello likes this.
  12. DarkJello

Fair enough. I have been wise enough to appreciate your perspective lately. It is an Easter miracle!!

13. DarkJello

Sanders calls Clooney-hosted Clinton fundraiser 'obscene'

March 27, 2016

For two seats at the head table with Clinton and the Clooneys at the April 15 fundraiser, a couple must contribute $353,400.

Another fundraiser held a day later at the Clooney mansion in Los Angeles will cost guests $33,400 a ticket.

“I have a lot of respect for George Clooney,” Sanders said. “He’s a great actor. I like him. But this is the point. This is the problem with American politics, is that big money is dominating our political system, and we are trying to move as far away from that as we can.”

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box...lls-clooney-hosted-clinton-fundraiser-obscene

14. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Note that I haven't replied directly to ssez at all. I don't know why you are telling me to take a breath, I am just explaining my position in a calm, rational manner. Can't say the same for ssez.

DarkJello likes this.
  15. Sokolov

Good thing no one suggested such a thing. Don't see why we need to keep making this claim like it's relevant.

I'd argue that for all intents and purposes, the US has a 2 party system.

Exactly my point.

This part doesn't really happen in the US, but mathematically it could happen, but in such cases it would push out one of the existing 2 parties as well.

16. Sokolov

I have not seen "call new elections" due solely to coalitions falling apart without significant external issues. Alliances and such shift, of course, but new elections? That's rare unless something REALLY crazy is happening.

If you have specific examples I'd like to hear them.

I'd argue, at least in the last 8 years or so, the government is not so much "governing" and part of the issue is the 2 party system.

DarkJello likes this.
  17. Sokolov

It might as well not be the case though for how often it actually happens.

Since 1900, 3rd party candidates have won the following number of times:
    • 21 times for Governor (with 39 states having never had a 3rd party governor)
    • 19 times for Senator (with 37 states having never had a 3rd party senator)
    And a bunch of those was one guy: Bernie Sanders.

18. Sokolov

In theory, but it's much easier for this to occur if said 3rd parties have some representative in the first place. In reality, it rarely actually happens except in governments where there has been a history of 3 or more parties shifting power (such as the UK or Canada).

I think what's happening with the GOP right now is an exception, rather than the rule, and additionally isn't really a 3rd party surging, but more that the identity of one of the main parties is shifting somewhat.

~

But yea, for me, the argument isn't that 3rd parties do nothing at all, but that they could do a lot more if the system wasn't so detrimental to them.

In any case, the original point is that I believe the US system tends towards a 2 party system, and will remain so unless some of the fundamentals change.

And I also believe that the government would function better if there were more 3rd party representation from both the perspective of individuals voting, as well as for greater incentives to compromise.

I could be wrong, maybe it works better with just 2 parties (functionally/mathematically), but it'd take some good amount of convincing to persuade me on that one.

19. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Maybe if you made a post joking about giving a sample of what it would actually be like for you to complain, and then followed it up with the potential "side effects" of such...

(I was rather proud of that bit...)

DarkJello likes this.
  20. Sokolov

Oh, and as I've said before, even though I do not personally like Trump or Cruz, I am glad they are here (along with Sanders) because even though they are functioning within the current 2 party system, they are still expanding the choice of candidates people have (at least until the general election, in which case we are back to down to 2 choices again, and I am unsure if any of these 3 guys will actually change anything in the long-run).

Of course, the fact that this election has more choice than usual doesn't change the fundamental issue that trends towards a 2-party system - which I still see as a critical issue that no candidate seems to care about.

DarkJello likes this.