Rum & Bones Board Game Kickstarter

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by soulmilk, Apr 19, 2016.

1. soulmilk

soulmilk I need me some PIE!

2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

No more kickstarter for board games for me after Tokaido Fiasco.

3. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

Broadsides and boarding parties had actual full to scale ships (masts cannons and all). Why rum gotta go cheap with the cardboard cutouts? Dissapoonted

4. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I wasn't familiar with the kickstarter. Does this describe what happened?

5. soulmilk

soulmilk I need me some PIE!

"Risks and challenges
    This is our 23rd Kickstarter, and there are some vagaries in terms of timing when it comes to anything produced in China, such as:
    Production delays
    Shipping delays
    Customs delays

The estimated delivery date is January 2017, but keep in mind this is only an estimate. Also, due to the logistics of international shipping, backers in different regions of the world may receive their rewards sooner than others.

We've done our best to minimize this as much as possible, and we are always happy to refund pledges if for some totally unforeseen reason the game can't be delivered at all. Since the game is 90% complete, we don't believe this is in the least bit likely. We've successfully delivered Zombicide, Sedition Wars, Guilds of Cadwallon, Zombicide Season 2, Relic Knights, Rivet Wars, Kaosball, Dogs of War, Arcadia Quest, Wrath of Kings, XenoShyft, our Base System, Zombicide Season 3, The World of Smog: On Her Majesty's Service, Rum & Bones, Blood Rage and B-Sieged. Zombicide: Black Plague will deliver its 2nd wave very soon."

They have had multiple kickstarter projects with lots of rewards, it seems quite safe to me.
    But yeah, I understand if someone have had a bad time with kickstarter projects in the past. ):

6. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

No, not really.

So, let me first say that I have been, up until very recently, been very supportive of FunForge. I know they are dealing with a lot of logistics and things are more difficult than it seems.

People complained all kinds of stuff, quality of components, lack of the kind of updates they wanted, and the delays, and I have been very understanding of it all.

The campaign ended on March 23, 2014 with an estimated delivery of Nov 2014. This seemed reasonable, as this is a Collector's Edition of an EXISTING game.

However, as the article noted, they ended up adding a lot of stretch goals and various things, so some delay was expected.

We note it's been over 2 years now, and ~90% of backers have not received anything.

Delays are one thing, especially for a larger project, but 2 years+ is a long time.

For me, though, the following are the specific reasons why I am NOW annoyed with it:
    • They refuse to give out estimates of when the game is being delivered to anyone, though they claim that they are currently being shipped
    • They have shipped copies of this to retail stores while backers do not have them yet
      • In many cases it is cheaper than what backers paid (those who paid for the "base" without extra perks)
    • They are not providing tracking numbers for the shipped orders
    • They want you to refuse delivery if it is damaged
      • but without tracking information, you have NO WAY of telling when the delivery will occur so most likely it'll be left at your front door
    • Numerous people are reporting low/poor quality components, thin paper, etc
      • For a collector's edition product that costed $115 (more or less), this is incredible
    • They have closed the "pledge manager" (which allows you to update your shipping information)
    So if you haven't received your game, you don't know when it come, and if you are moving, you will have no idea if it'll arrive before or after you move, and if you really wanted the collector's edition... you should have just waited and bought in a store.

7. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

I've been wanting to play Rum & Bones as a MOBA bg has been on my to-make list for some time now. I've heard the game can be grindy and drag on, though, which was similar to my experience with CMoN's Arcadia Quest. I also was not impressed with Eric Lang/CMoN's Blood Rage which felt like a stripped-down, wildly swingy Chaos in the Old World with Cosmic Encounter's combat system.

I just read through all the reviews on BGG again and, sadly, I don't think this game is for me:

dice rolling as a game resolution mechanic is one of my biggest annoyances in game design as a strategy fan, so this game will probably drive me nuts. Let us know how you like it, though!