Pox Nora Revamp - Preview 1

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Gedden, Apr 15, 2014.

1. sassquatch

sassquatch I need me some PIE!

I am going to assume that with the sprite display and the grid it will show the difference between small and large champs. Any chance you could preview a random large champ so we can see the difference?

Also does each customizable slot share the same two options or does each slot have its own set of 2 different upgrades. For example on magnus is only inquisition upgradeable with adaptive and punish and then resist magic upgradeable with distracting atk and ignorance? or is distracting atk and ignorance completely removed from the champ and both customizeable slots share adaptive and punish? (Im not asking about your balancing decisions but the way you layout the upgrade options).

Also I love the new layout of the cards in general. Kudos!

I cant wait to see how you handle thematic and racial abilities. Keep up the hard work guys!

2. Ralphen

Ralphen I need me some PIE!

It's a good starting point and I hope it will be implemented as soon as possible.

3. Faust

Faust Devotee of the Blood Owl

What About Draksar Racial ?

Kampel and Geressen like this.
  4. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

we of SL are of one mind and one soul, that of the dragon. may the fire in our hearts burn ever brighter.

5. Faust

Key things for me in Draksars are Racial and Sermon hope it will stay

6. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

I´m honestly not convinced yet on why you think this revamp will be a bad thing.
    Such pessimism, it´s surprising acctually.

7. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

same for me, that is why I asked about the draksar racial only 3 posts before you :p

8. Faust

we have one of best racials in game i would say at least our archers wont lose much :D cuz only thing they have is more or less farshoot

9. Faust

are we able to pick only 2 upgrades ? or meybe we can pick ALL 4 with nora increase ?

Also i would like to see more then 4 pickable upgrades on champs :)

10. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

if there is room on the card to list its starting abilities, there is room to list its starting abilities AND conditions. the complexity is the same regardless of what you call it though. I don't see how you get around it though. the game loses a lot of flavor if you

11. Greysands22

Greysands22 I need me some PIE!

Everything looks awesome.

One question... what about auto upgrades? As in what if 90% of the community considers upgrade option # 3 on champ X to be hands down the best build for that champion.... that kind of leaves us where we started from no?

12. Ragic

by the way, giving all dwarves the carouse ability does not 'force' the drinking theme. NOT giving all dwarves carouse however DOES limit your choices for what to use in the 'drinking' theme. Inconsistency is a form of complexity. Why not give the scorched dwarf carouse? Are you trying to block UD/IS dwarf decks? See my point?

zombie apocalypse suggests the theme just by existing. So youre going to limit the choices on how to construct a ZA deck by giving some zombies ZA and others not? Why not simply make that design decision when choosing the race of the champ to begin with. I never understood this reluctance of devs to apply racial abilities consistently. Its ok for the game to have rules you know. imo this is an example of how the mtg mindset interferes with design of a proper tbs game. The very premise behind NOT giving all champs of a race their racial ability can be applied to having different factions in the first place. After all, the IS faction forces you to run at least 15 IS runes in a single deck! how constraining. The same logic that makes the existence of factions ok also makes the existence of themes within those factions ok.

tl/dr: don't be unnecessarily complex. give all champs of race X the X racial ability.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  13. Pedeguerra

Ragic, honestly man. /facepalm
    Please stop pretending you know anything about Pox. Please. You have stopped playing this game a bazilion years ago, and yet lurks the forums with only criticism and assumptions.
    It´s getting really tiremose and frankly it only harms the game. Wait until its done, come back to the game and then talk about it.
    As is you are just making a fool of yourself and spreading disbelief. Please stop.

PhdNiceGuy likes this.
  14. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

Of all the current issues with the upgrade system, certainly that is the least of them? Of course the majority will agree on two "optimal" upgrades, but just like now, there will always be situations or player preferences which call for different upgrades. It certainly doesn't make it any worse than it already is in that regard, and this is very different to what it was like with the pre-revamp upgrade system with its optimal speed values and economy fetish.

15. allyorbase

allyorbase I need me some PIE!

I am really concerned about racial themes, like Voil (2 racial abilities just for being a Voil), for example. Throw in "Attack: X" and almost every Voil already has 3 abilities before it does *anything* else. I would really like to know how that will factor into this revamp. Is Sonic considered "kitchen sink?"

I am *all* for a revamp... it is absolutely needed, but I am adamantly against removing abilities like Sonic, Titan, Hold the Line, etc., in the name of "simplification." Some may call that dumbing the game down -- myself included. I'd be thrilled to see a lot of fat trimmed, but when you claim abilities that have layered functionality need to go, it makes me think we're heading toward Pokemon Tactics. It's okay, IMO, for there to be a few layered abilities -- you don't have to throw the baby out with the (admittedly convoluted) bathwater.

16. Ragic

pedi, I know its a comfort thing to trust authority figures and mimic what others around you say but at some point you really need to start thinking for yourself.

17. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

IMO a good example for a theme based on interaction between clearly defined roles is Kanen. You have the pack leaders, which interact with the pack mentality grunts. If you would word pack leader as "any Kanen without the pack leader ability makes a free attack" or something like that, you could do the same thing without pack mentality even. This creates themes where champions work together with clearly defined roles.

What is the point of ZA though? It's basically just a reward for playing tons of zombies, and that's what I consider a "forced theme". There is no interesting interaction, no roles, just an arbitrary reward for playing multiple runes from the same theme. It's lazy design, and I'm glad that Gedden is putting the axe to that.

Woffleet likes this.
  18. Ragic

that sounds like youre creating theme enablers. 5 zombies on the board isn't enough, you need 4 zombies and then 1 zombie with a special ability. that's fine (reminds me of boost skeleton), but there should also be the design option for a 'grow wide' type theme without the need of enablers. but however its done, all im asking for is consistency. don't call something a 'racial' ability and then not apply to everything with that race. its random and confusing. Its like not giving an undead champ boon of the undead. Youre just left scratching your head wondering why they gave it race undead to begin with.

19. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Alright. I will bite.

Not all dwarves have to be able to GIVE Black Label Brew for the sub-theme (Let's be honest it isn't a full theme) to operate. All dwarves can still receive BLB just fine. You can build a "drunk" deck with Brewmasters, Brawlers, Thugs (All likely to get Carouse) and mix in a few other dwarfs without losing the feel of the theme. This method also frees up the ability to clean up Carouse and BLB. Currently BLB only gives the additional bonus to specific units which makes it more difficult to add runes to the theme. But what if Carouse was changed to an activatable ability similar to what it is now but instead of having a one time use it is permanent with a semi-long cooldown. (Or we can get rid of Carouse altogether and use Intoxicate to remove confusion) BLB can now be changed to give the additional buff to any unit with Carouse (or Intoxicate, whichever is used). Suddenly we can sprinkle Carouse (or Intoxicate) around and we have a full theme instead of a crappy sub-theme.

Zombie Apoc isn't necessarily staying the same as it is now. Don't make assumptions because we all know what that does. You are basing your whole pessimistic view on the CURRENT state of the game rather than where it will be when this goes live. With your ZA example of being a "theme enabler" you are making the assumption that only 1-2 units will have the ability. But what if 3-5 out of 20 have it. For example in the Paladin "theme" there are 3 champions with Command: Paladin. If I wish to only run 1 of them then I made that choice but If I feel that Command is really necessary for my decks construction then I have the option of playing 2 or even all 3 of them.

PhdNiceGuy and DarkJello like this.
  20. Pedeguerra

For this exact quote, you just lost all the little respect I had left for you. I´m not the type of guys who mimic what others around had to say, if you didnt have your head up your butt so far you would see clearly.
    This rethoric has gotten really old, probably like yourself at this point. And the problem is, it´s not that you arent entitled to your opinion, its just that you have proven yourself wrong over and over again.
    At this point I´m 100% sure Prami is your alt, due to the fact you are both stuborn as mules.
    I will again advise you to go lurk another forum, your silly attempt to make Pox a worse game isnt really working out.

DarkJello likes this.