Pox Nora Revamp - Preview 1

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Gedden, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

In which case the ability to GIVE a black label brew is not or should not be considered a 'racial' ability, just as boost skeleton should not. if however 'being drunk' gives a bonus that only dwarves can take advantage of, then whatever you call that, THAT is the racial ability.

2. Ragic

I'm curious what it is you think I was wrong about?

3. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Agreed. But Racial abilities as you desire them are not currently in the framework of the game. Would they be cool that way? Sure. Are they currently necessary? No. Racial Synergy does not need to come from a singkle source. Things like Boost, Aid Defense, Command, etc are all valuble parts of theme/racial synergy.
    It isn't that you are wrong. It is the way you go about presenting your arguments. You are aggressive and pessimistic in your views and you do not give thought to other peoples views. Even when valid you simply write their ideas/beliefs off as needless gibberish because they do not align with your own. The game IS in a bad place at the moment. Noone disagrees with that. But you are being unreasonable. You are being negative about positive change because the change is not to the scale or degree you desire. You talk as if the game will never improve past the point the devs are currently aiming for. I made a diagram as an example:

[Worst Game Ever - =================-Curent Game-=============-Devs-==========================-Ragic-========= -Best Game Ever]

I applaud you for having lofty views and you do make a few good points. We all want the game to reach that "Best Game Ever" point. But doing so in one fell swoop would likely be just as harmful for the game as its current form. Change must happen gradually over time or the result of the change will be unrecognizable as the original product. Take positive change when it happens and keep pushing for more. But dont devalue change because its not as much as you want.

DarkJello and Rockhopper like this.
  4. WraithxxV

WraithxxV Active Member

Actually I think that the only keeper part of draksars is the racial, as Sermon, while cool, is a very limited and limiting ability. I for example have rather large Pox resources (multiple exo or limited level decks + some good trade fodder), but I will never make a Draksar deck because the wonderful Sermon ability is only on a almost unobtainable champion, which I could probably get but I just don't want to put the time into. If this kind of abilities which define a theme are going to stay, they need to be on either easy to get champions, or be put on several units so you don't HAVE to use any particular legendary champ.

As for the whole ZA discussion, I agree with Markoth and so on that forced themes (like ZA) are less interesting than themes that give you options. One of my favorite race interactions is Djinns with Hyaenids which encourages you to run only a few Djinns and at times you want to turn them on, other times off, as Serf to Djinn is as much advantage as disadvantage. Both Djinns and Hyaenids are strong units on their own, combining them only gives you different options. That is what I think themes should be, enablers to new strategies, not forced interactions that make champions worth their points. Also, Serf to the Djinn is an ability that will work perfectly with the new exchangeable abilities form as you no longer have to pay points for it if you're not running Djinns, so hurrah for that (hope it stays).

tl dr: Bla bla.

5. Ragic

disagreeing with someone is not the same thing as not giving thought to their views. show me where ive written someone's idea or belief off as needless gibberish. Your rhetoric certainly makes me sound like a villain. Now prove it.

Im more than happy to stay on topic, but if you guys insist on crying about me not agreeing with the group-think around here, well... I can play that game too.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  6. Faust

Faust Devotee of the Blood Owl

Accualy both Sermon and High Priest is great for theme, Draksar High Priests are in stock PB and u can get em via packs, and i am not fan of makeing a lot of champs that have same ability, hope that each champ after revamp will have role - egzample psion will have improve dmg, centurion will have battlemaster and high priest will have sermon, that way all of them will find place in ur bg and bring something uniqe. we are not talking about rarity here :)

7. WraithxxV

WraithxxV Active Member

Though I agree to your comment in general, and they are in stock, 220,000 credits is not an accessible rune, especially if you want to run 2. Mind you, I could get them, but a new player that wants to play Draksars probably can't.
    I think the solution with that kind of ability could be to spread it out to a few cheaper champions, for example give Sermon to Draksar Doomslayer, and now you can run a Draksar bg with or without the hard to get runes.

8. Faust

Faust Devotee of the Blood Owl

Meybe on Wyrmpriest ? he would be at least partly usefull

WraithxxV likes this.
  9. only

only Active Member

the way I expected revamp since some people are asking me why so much negativity.

for me, upgrade system would be removed at all: both CP and upgrades. WYSIWYG. what you see is what you get. deckbuilding is already very deep part of poxnora. I feel that the game lacks interactions between abilities. that's right ABILITIES. at the moment, most of interactions on the board happen due to game rules: font capping, AP management, nora. I feel that part of its could be shifted to more ability/champions identity instead of making deckbuilding even more complex.

if you want to increase depth of deckbuilding (the part of non interactive gameplay), which is already absurdly rich, you need to make it by minimizing complexity. make things synergize by how they play together. racials are great booster for fun, easy synergies so it's fine. but more and more synergy should be based on abilities. the only way to achieve healthy synergy enviroment (for interactions and their conters) is to mainstream them.

toying with those ability costs will be fun for us, veterans, for few days. maybe a week. two weeks? since then it will start to award us and punish new players. depth won't be just how champions are being played, the strategy, the interactions on the board between themselves and enemy. some of it will be overshadowed by the fact that you will be toying in rune manager trying to get the right answers. is this ability worth its cost or no. I'm pretty sure it might even introduce some new bugs, somehow. in some weird way (due to nora costs being different).

part of skill is memorizing. it's natural brain reflex to see and to react accordingly. once you se sprite, you act according to the right situation. different costs, different abilities (not like the current upgrade system doesn't have it, but it will be even more compelex. hence the reason I highly recommend to remove it in general) will go against our brain nature. everytime you will need to click on the champion and to see what upgrade it had. what about shadowspawned champions? did he upgrade "IT" or not. stealth is already quite of a gambling on its own...

I honestly expected some examples of how they're mainstreaming abilities. so why I am disappointed? beause I see you all liking it so much. I might sound cocky (I don't want to, no elitism here so keep it calm), but if all the current community likes it, isn't it the key to failure? I mean you (we!?) might like it, but what ensures other players will like it. in this case those others are players the ones we want to attract. have you ever heard someone complaining/leaving the game, because deckbuilding isn't complex/deep enough? here is your answer why so much negativity.

10. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Just now in this very post. ;) I gave you my oppinion on why people are typically hostile towards your posts and rather than considering it you fire back all guns blazing.

11. Ragic

If your complaint then is that I'm rude to people who are insulting to me... then guilty as charged.

just one example of an unprovoked attack on my part, thats all im asking for. or do you think your slander should go unchallenged?

12. LoganMkv

LoganMkv I need me some PIE!

Let me explain it with muppets:
    Here's pre-revamp magnus. He is quite blunt, but has a little individuality perk of ignorance. And once in a while I may face, say, meanie spellkaiser, throw magnus in his face and laugh. This is what I enjoy in pox — diversity.
    Now here's post-revamp magnus. He doesn't have that small perk anymore, and all I can do with him — hit stuff with sword. And what is worst, game gains absolutely nothing from castrating champs — this whole hype about complexity is raised by idiot eternal rare-leaguers, who delusionaly think they are going to be better after it. No, they won't, that revamp won't bring a single new player to pox cause the real problem is business model, devs waste their resources, and we old players get reduced diversity for no reason.

13. only

only Active Member

stop those insults, man!

14. allyorbase

allyorbase I need me some PIE!

While I hate to agree with you because you are incessantly abrasive and condescending, I have to agree with your overall concern.

I really don't want a game where units are no longer interesting because they're too busy being simple.

Yes, the game is far too convoluted now, but I don't think the current state of things is so awful that a complete overhaul from the ground up -- a full reset, as it was called -- is necessary. A much more worthwhile endeavor, from my perspective, would be an examination of the more complex abilities and runes and an across-the-board tone-down from THE TOP DOWN as opposed to the other way around.

Folks are being accused of pessimism, but c'mon... you can't have a complete rework of not only every rune in the game, but also fundamental unit mechanics, without causing a panic. No offense, but I don't know Desert Owl Games. I know they have a vested interest in making the game accessible and profitable, but I don't know if they care about the 300 or so long-time players Pox already has vs. hordes of 9 year olds. I think my pessimism, given the state of online gaming today, is well warranted.

Unless Owl can guarantee *I* am going to love the game as much or more after their revamp, I have no reason to get behind a "reset switch." No point in blind faith after SOE's flubs.

15. only

only Active Member

I don't think champions being simple means less variaty (in general), BUT it might very likely end up being the case in PoxNora... since abilities are not mainstreamed. since they lack of interactions and many abilities just have 3 versions of it (not ranks!) instead of 1 intuitive... (some) abilities perhaps should be stronger so you can keep everything as it is now (design/power), but simply reduce complexity, while increasing (not only keeping!) depth.

if you think, it's the way to attract those hordes, you might be surprised with results. I wonder if you're familiar with games like Faeria and Scrolls.

16. Kimiz

Kimiz Active Member

I'm pretty optimistic about these changes.

HalfGodBro and DarkJello like this.
  17. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

And why isn't summoning consecrated ground or causing faithless classed as a "small perk"? That certainly isn't just a case of "hit stuff with sword". In a 1v1 situation and can prevent spells being used. In a group fight he can heal his allies effectively.

Champions will have less abilities. This just feels like you're unhappy he got "nerfed" in.. a revamp. Which obviously makes no sense, but that's how it sounds.

@only
    This is preview 1. I feel I can be happy about changes that seem good. If more come that don't mesh, then I'll happily take an issue with it. I already mentioned why I think the new level system helps new players.

DarkJello likes this.
  18. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

Oh yes. Yes it is. It's easy to lose sight of the big picture, and perhaps I wouldn't be aware either how bad things really are right now if it wouldn't have been for the long break I took.

Just take into consideration that your perspective might be severely limited by your position. To really understand how Pox feels to a new player, the best way would be to introduce a new player to it. Provide them the runes they need, so business model is not a factor. Then observe how they feel about it. I believe this experience would be eye-opening to many of the doubters (which surprisingly aren't many to begin with, it looks like the majority of the community understands the necessity of this, which makes me very optimistic :)).

You are right though, there is no way to do this without causing a panic. Some people will be upset and predict impending doom, I don't think there has ever been a major change in online gaming history without that kind of reaction so that's just how it is.

DarkJello likes this.
  19. Luvadata

Luvadata Member

BUFF Gnark Please :)

20. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

This is exciting, thanks for sharing some stuff with us!

(Can't wait for the revamped sporegill to be super amazing)

DarkJello likes this.