New control Measures for Crystals

Discussion in 'Savage Tundra' started by Braxzee, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Braxzee

Braxzee I need me some PIE!

Since the fascinate stack combo was the strength of the Crystal Theme has been removed, are there any good ideas to replace it.

All I have that is not to complicated for anyone is this

Crystal Guardian gets fascinate.

Some ranged Jakei get a Slam attack.

Repulsion on Crystal Elemental

2. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

Forget about something similar to that combo, or smashing a strategy around it. It ended on this expansion for good.

Now Elementals can get properly looked at and easier to adjust.

3. legalpwn

legalpwn Well-Known Member

but the combo... *cries*

4. Braxzee

It was kind of what I was looking for, I get it the combo is gone. What would be wrong buffing up Jakei Ice fisher with some thing simple like DEF and Health with nora cost increase of course or Ice elemental with repulsion temporarily? With Fascinate as it is now and some dragging attacks you could replicate the Fascinate stack combo a bit. They do need a 1x1 champ with Fascinate in their some where like Crystal Guardian.

5. Aquifn

Aquifn Member

Why do they require fascinate to operate? With the change, they obviously don't want that to be a theme core mechanic, maybe figure out what it was covering, and address that issue instead?

6. Braxzee

They took fascinate stack off because it looked weird and you could not predict how it was going to operate. They have fascinate with a more predictable outcome. Dragging attack is predictable so it could replicate the idea of controlling an area of the board.

7. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Braxzee bud, I don't think that Fascinate was mandatory for crystals to work, and it only became a crutch these past expansions because, well, I feel that the overall HP on champions has been reduced, therefore the amount of damage the interaction provided skyrocket.
    Before Crystal Dragon release, what held Crystal together was the ability to surprise the opponent with a LOT of interactions between the units, supported by good jakei on the back lines.
    However, that was lost after Immortality was removed - and I've been saying that for a while - because Immortality allowed a player to put only one copy of the units in the bg, since it was guaranteed that you had a spare. Now, though, you are almost obligated to run every unit x2, which makes the room thiner for diversity.
    Therefore, for Crystals to work again, I think Immortality should get back in some form. And since Shrine Scry is gone, it comes with a big drawback (damaging your shrine), so it probably should cost less (1, 2 nora).
    Theres a lot of design room as far as crystals go.

Tweek516, Goyo and JellyBerry like this.
  8. DrakeArron

DrakeArron I need me some PIE!

Would the new mulligan rule/champ distribution on first draw change this at all? I've found myself, and according to my thread so have many others apparently, barely ever needing to use it. In part due to how many champs you get... IK having more champs isn't the same as having a spare if one dies, but I thought it would be worth the mention. Now that it seems so easy to get a decent hand perhaps we can start taking bigger risks in BG composition.

9. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Well, I havent really played with the new mulligan rule so I cant really coment accurately on it.
    However, what I can tell you is that the versality given by Immortality has a much greater reach than just receiving x2 of the same rune in the opening hand, or having x4 different Gem abilities, for example. The fact that your champ died and you could resummon it until your shrine exploded was a great edge, specially considering that your Jakei are usually key supporters, and you cant really afford to have them dieing in the front lines. Also, let's suppose you lose your Crystal Howler. Crystal theme crumbles (since I feel Deafening Aura> Fascinate).
    It's also flavorful as heck, at least it was when the theme concept was developed by Sok.

JellyBerry likes this.
  10. Braxzee

You are right Immortality would solve a lot of issues, as you could diversify more. I ended up 2x everything just to keep the theme reachable in less turns. It could use a slam attack or dragg

11. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

If you want more slam effects, you could split with sp for The Resistance. On an unrelated note, hunter abilities don't increase the damage from luminescence abilities. It seems like they aren't coded as attacks.

12. Braxzee

Thanks for the tip, I have tried the split with SP and use resistance, I still have to refine it. It has not been working out well due to the Jakei Nora gem ratios are hard to fit in. Plus it is a split and not a FF ST. Be a good idea for a split BG forum

It does bring up a good point of how important the immortality feature was on the nora gem champs