I'm playing No Man's Sky

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kampel, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Bought it with my brother, must say its a fun game

Anyone else playing/tryed it?

2. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Watched some videos, looked criminally boring

3. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

4. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

the description i've seen that seems most accurate is that as a game, it's boring. as a massive Firking openworld experience, it's neat

if you're getting it for the gameplay or the story, you're maybe wasting your money right now. if you're getting it to wander around in a ridiculously vast universe, you're doin fine

Kampel likes this.
  5. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I have been loving it. I enjoy that it has no story. Its very chill and you can just do whatever you want. I have just been playing it a few hours before bed usually. I am completing every planet I land on before I leave it so some of the more hostile ones are difficult.

Edit: Favorite planet so far was completely barren on the surface. Not even any resources that I could find. At first I thought I was going to have to break my competitionist streak but then I found a cave and the entire world had a massive cave network underground filled with creatures and resources. I was there for a while because I couldnt find the last creature and then when I was about to give up I finally returned to the surface and apparently there was a single bird species above ground. I had just forgotten there was an above ground >.>

Qucas, Kampel and Astamir like this.
  6. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I decided not to buy into the hype or in fact the game.

seems like a decent exploration game.
    I have nothing to contribute here.

7. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

As a game designer, one of the things we are not supposed to say is "you are playing it wrong."

But if there was ever a game that you could say it about, it's probably No Man's Sky because at the outset if you are doing it to "grind through content" you are going to have a bad time.

Tweek516, Qucas and Kampel like this.
  8. Kampel

First link is mostly true but its a fact that weird planets appear further away of The story line, none of The streamers ive seen "explore" In this exploration Game, they all seem to expect to be fed with content.

The vĂ­deo is about The prealpha Game and most of The devs speachs are out of context.

I understood before buying the Game whst It was about and thats why i enjoy it. If any they should have been less misterious about The Gameplay

9. Kampel

I found a Planet with flying whales and full of "vortex cubes" around mines that if you picked them up you got dog sentinels hunting you to death xD

10. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Leadrz likes this.
  11. Kampel

There are a couple mistakes on that Reddit post i would like to highlight:
    "Large freighters not moving" ->There are always static ones near each planet but yesterday a different fleet of large freighters warped around me with pirates attacking them and one of the freighters called me for help, got taken down by the pirates so i dont know if that unlocked more quests or what.

"Trade ships docking with freighters" -> On some planets there are big buildings with many ports where random ships land (kindof a trade facility with many ports), when you go close to interact with them they have different names (talking about the NPC that owns the ship) which they identify as "Trader *name*", "Exporter *name*", "Captain *name*", "etx." i believe the dev was referring to them. Large space freighters do not land, they release/have traffic of small traders which go to the planet and back to the freighter.

"The technical possibility of flying between star systems manually" -> this one is plain stupid, without any upgrades you have 4 kinds of speed:
    1) from 35 to 150units(without upgrades) which is the simple movement speed(only useful inside a planet)
    2) 1400units which is the turbo speed(to move around asteroids and from a planet to the spacesport if its close)
    3) 9,999u which is the "super turbo(?)" speed
    4) "Warp" speed wich is instant teleport to another solar system thru the intergalactic map(you only experience the movement with a cinematic)
    I say this is stupid because in the same solar system it can take you up to 7 minutes to go from the two most separated planets at a speed of "1400units" (which is the vanilla turbo speed, thats why if you want to dive into a planet you use the "9,999u" one) so if you wanted to go from one solar system to another with that turbo or even with the "super turbo" speed it would take you real life weeks or more and you dont even know if you will land near...

"Creatures doing things they don't do in the game"-> He names two things, one is an eel flying low, the other is creatures which are not aquatic taking a bath or standing in the water. I've seen flying whales, they mostly fly high above ground but some were flying at a trees hight so this might be possible. the other about huge creatures walking on water "taking a bath" i havnt experienced yet, most ground creatures i've seen avoid water.
    The Reddit poster posts a video about the eel, in that video the player is flying with its spaceship very low in the ground, that is not possible. Autopilot pushes you away from the ground at an altitude where you cant even see creatures walking so you cant really "explore" a planet with a ship.

"Rivers"-> i've seen rivers but they are mostly those long craters from a meteorite filled with water, they are not rivers as on earth that start in a big mass of water and end somewhere else..

The poster also sayd:
    "There are no objects on planets that you will not have seen in an hour or two on your first planet, and no objects in space that can be found through exploration." -> not true so far, example being the "Vortex Cubes" which i heard are extremly rare so dunno what else could be extremly rare which everyone is still missing.

All and every other point made by the Reddit poster is true, the game feels as if it was half released, nothing looks like as in the trailers, not the same quality, not the same quantity, not the same playability, not even the same animations/structures/colors/reflections and i have everything maxed(we play in my bro's computer which is a monster he uses to work) but it is still fun to play and enjoyable. (Its the first game i buy in 8+- years so im not too picky)
    Ideal for weed, relax and play sessions.

Qucas likes this.
  12. Kampel

Found a planet without flora or fauna but full of spheres which worked The same as The vortex cubes attrackting sentinels xD

13. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

got it cause Firk it, 2 hours in

doesn't seem awfully exiting

14. DrakeArron

DrakeArron I need me some PIE!

Can't link it atm, but totalbiscuit had an awesome overview of the massive outrage over the game in a YouTube video, which I think was pretty fair to all involved.

Props to you @Kampel for not being an extreme fanboy and seeing the other sides argument btw. I think your better at it then me, so I admire it.

15. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

I've rarely seen sperging of this magnitude at being "lied to" about a game , only things that compare in recent memory are the Watch Dogs/Division downgrade shenanigans.

What happened to managing expectations? I mean I was hyped as Firk at the E3 reveal too but it's not the first time stuff like that happens. Early builds/engineered demos are rarely a carbon copy of the final product. Especially with ambitious project being developed by like 15 people. Waited for the release, watched a couple of streams, said to myself "uh that looks cool but that's not exactly what I expected, I'll probably pass". I did. I'm not mad at anything. I'm not outraged. Saved myself 80$ (CANADAAAA) and will probably get it on sale or as a free PS+ games once the PS7 releases or something.

Preorders uh?

Geressen and BurnPyro like this.
  16. DrakeArron

Watch TB's video. They pretty much were lied to- about multiplayer existing, for example. Not to mention that they were extremely vague, even when directly asked questions about what would be in the game.
    I think TB brought up an important point as to why this particular game caused such outrage though, which is that it targeted not one, but two game genres that are heavily malnourished in terms of good, complete, and/or accessible games. Those being space survival and survival (that is, ground based survival games. Forget exact names). Because of this and other factors what might have just been another dev not delivering disappointed a massive number of people.
    (Again, can't actually link the vid atm)

Boozha likes this.
  17. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

People never learn

Geressen and IMAGIRL like this.
  18. DrakeArron

Can't disagree with that :p.

19. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I learned my lesson after Spore. I don't buy into the hype for games anymore. I stick with games that are a few years old. I haven't bought anything in years that hasn't already been released in a single package with all DLC, except for Mass Effect because the DLC was never packaged cheap enough for me.

That said, I was intrigued by what No Man's Sky was trying to accomplish, and I have a feeling that if they keep working on add ons, it will get there. I've wanted to know what's at the center since Stargate: Universe was canceled prematurely.

IMAGIRL likes this.
  20. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

First things first, multiplayer in this game was never going to be more than a Journey-like "hey I see you" kinda thing. People that were expecting to be able to party up with their friends and do Minecraft stuff on a planet were grossly misinformed. Anyway, that surely got scrapped along the way to avoid further delays. Nobody releases full products anymore. I know there's not an ounce of connectivity back-end in the game at the moment but who knows how that will be 6 months down the line.

I'm not an apologist, I have no horse in this race. It's one thing to be let down by a game because it does not deliver on what you expected (that happened to everyone more than once in their lives), it's another to anally go through 2+ years of interview expecting... expecting what really? A refund? Justice? Upvotes? Your ego stroked because you "got" them?

Firking gamers man... the worst.

SPiEkY and Kampel like this.