Turn based RPG's?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Bondman007, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

A Google search turns up a plethora of results so I figured I would ask you guys (of which most of us have common interests and likes) about what is a good TBRPG. My examples would be XCOM 1 &2, Divinity: Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity, Baldur's Gate, etc. I really like this genre and wondered what other games like this you guys have played.
    Thanks,
    Bond

2. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Shining Force 1 & 2.

3. Bondman007

Will check it out, thx.

4. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Gods: Lands of Infinity.

HOHOHOHO.

Bondman007 likes this.
  5. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Blackguards 1 & 2

Kings Bounty Series (4-5 games)

The Banner Saga 1 & 2
    Epic story that will carry over from game 1 onto game 2 like Mass Effect did. Choices matter.

Final Fantasy 6 Advanced (FFVIA)
    Get the Rom, not the shitty Steam version.

Dungeon of the Endless (Its a TB, RPG and so much more. It's not like any of the games you said you've played, but check it out anyway.)
    Turn-Based, RPG, Tower Defense, Rogue-Like, Isometric,

Runegod, aseryen and Bondman007 like this.
  6. Bondman007

This looks good but seems hard to get. Will see if it may still be available.

7. Bondman007

Ha cool. Will check these out. I do like rogue-likes so will certainly check out DotE.

8. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Fire Emblem

Qucas, Runegod, darklord48 and 2 others like this.
  9. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Tactics Arena Online. Used to play that online when I was in the military, was the only thing that could make it through the firewall.

Bondman007 likes this.
  10. sWeNibor

sWeNibor I need me some PIE!

Faeria

Bondman007 likes this.
  11. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

If you're willing to pay for it, Torment: Planes of Numenera is also pretty good, although still in early access state.

Bondman007 likes this.
  12. fogandsteel

fogandsteel I need me some PIE!

The Age of Decadence.
    Thea: The Awakening.

The Banner Saga also has multiplayer. It's much simpler than Poxnora because there is just a handful of units to choose from.

Bondman007 likes this.
  13. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

Agree with The Banner Saga and Blackguards as games to play.

I'm trying Duelyst out on steam however the screen size makes it somewhat annoying to play. Looks like a good game though.

I play Forced: Showdown every once in a while, not Turn-based but it has card aspects that is fun to play in real time.

Bondman007 likes this.
  14. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Darn!

15. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

Ohhh man this game was great. I also liked Dungeon Empires but that has been shut down for quite some time now.

Tactics Arena had a real nice pace to it, I remember the animations fondly.

16. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

If you want to try the oldies, Dragon Warrior IV is particularly good.

Other Neat Stuff You May Or May Not Have Played (ignoring the Final Fantasy series and the like)
    • Ogre Battle (I'd go with the SNES version): one of my "desert island" games, has a "real time" map element, but battles are turn based, units evolve/upgrade, lots of items, multiple endings
    • Uncharted Waters: New Horizons: strange game to describe, but you are exploring the world in the colonial era with historical ships, there are naval battles and a card-based game for "dueling"
    • Brigandine: tactics RPG, lots of upgrades for units and a has a map/area control element

Bondman007 likes this.
  17. Phynixe

Phynixe I need me some PIE!

I used to play that during the good ol' days of ol' school runescape while mining 4 moneyz.

18. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

Also another title - while being heavier on a turn based strategy side - worth looking at would be Age of Wonders 3 if you like RPG elements such as heroes, items, experience on units thrown into a turn based strategy game. :p

Bondman007 likes this.
  19. Bondman007

Own it, love it...but its more TB Strategy. I love x4's and have been in love with them since MoM. Looking mainly for stuff around the XCOM line of games, but thanks!

20. Bondman007

Ok, so Blackguards has some sweet looking graphics but people said the combat was weird. Is this accurate? Does the game make sense? Did they improve the game in Blackguards 2?

The Banner Saga looks interesting but looks like it may be a ton of text (while I'm not overly opposed to reading I do tend to be lazy). Also, its graphics look very simple...does this still equate to a fun game?