Recently, at the Olympics, Gabby Douglas was criticized...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sokolov, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

For not putting her hand over her heart during the national anthem:

[​IMG]

upload_2016-8-26_12-33-44.png

upload_2016-8-26_12-34-12.png

THE OUTRAGE!!!#!

But wait... let's see who else doesn't?
    upload_2016-8-26_12-37-3.png

upload_2016-8-26_12-28-3.png

upload_2016-8-26_12-26-37.png

upload_2016-8-26_12-35-13.png

~

#MURICA, #outragenation, #patriotism

Attached Files:

2. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Fk the US, horrible country.

3. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Not sure why the military pic is in there with the rest. They are standing at attention which is proper form for those in military service.

Baskitkase likes this.
  4. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

honestly, the US has some weird as beliefs that nobody in the world shares with them, but they got mental over

5. Sokolov

The idea is that if it's respectful for the military, why is it bad when she does it?

6. Boozha

Like islamists, just more victims

Geressen likes this.
  7. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

Another fake controversy like the starbucks war on christmas lie from december.

contrary to sensational outrage media headlines, nobody actually gives a sh|t about the athlete's hand over her heart.

electus1 likes this.
  8. Sokolov

What is the principle for determining whether outrage or coverage of outrage is justified (other than that you agree that with the outrage)?

I mean, clearly SOME people cared about it, given the amount of tweets she got about it and the fact that Fox News even did a segment about whether athletes are "patriotic enough." And again, they cared to comment on her but not on others, for whatever reason.

That said, I do think it's blown out of proportion (though Gabby probably saw a ton of it on a personal level), but I think the outrage itself is sillier than the coverage.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  9. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Then why did media cover it so extensively before?

10. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

because trying to convince people that irrelevant things are worth your attention and emotional investment is more profitable for The Media at large than actually going, finding, and discussing potentially worthwhile cases

also, saying "no one cares" is just about always wrong. were you to instead say "no one that's not a disgrace to humanity cares", i think you'd be closer to the truth.

Anima26 and darklord48 like this.
  11. Sokolov

That's his point. He believes there was no reason to cover it extensively and it is the coverage that blew it out of proportion.

Anima26 and newsbuff like this.
  12. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I forget that you guys only have corporate media and they have to adhere to big money interests.

/stabby stab

I guess so. There were probably enough nutjobs that thought christmas was under attack. Or whatever else comes up

13. Sokolov

So I would assume newsbuff would argue nobody actually cared about the Starbucks Christmas cups, and that the media created a fake controversy around it (which I basically agree with). Basically, if it's outrage at something he doesn't care about and thinks is silly, then coverage is fake controversy.

On the other hand, if it's something he does care about but is on the opposite side on, then it's SJWs/Triggered and whatever and it's the outraged people that's the issue.

I could be wrong though. He might apply the same principle to both sides, but that's rare in my experience.

14. Sokolov

Anyway, this got more political than I intended, my fault (edited my previous post a bit to try and still give the context and get my thoughts across but less political and hopefully less accusatory in tone).

I really just wanted to say that I thought the outrage expressed was silly and also not consistent (my pet peeve!). And I do agree with newsbuff the coverage of it was also silly. Except Gabby probably didn't think it was so silly.

15. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Dunno, from what I can tell Fox News was every bit in there as the others. But who knows.

Media in america is weird to me.

16. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

dagda ban incoming

17. Sokolov

Actually, the Burkini thing in France might be something similar in that it seems the coverage is a bit overblown for something that seems like it'd affect a small number of people.

That said, it WAS a law, and my understanding is that a PM candidate is running with a national burkini ban as part of the platform, so it's a bit more relevant than national anthem etiquette.

18. Boozha

It's also a ridiculous violation of European culture and values. Why shouldn't people be able to dress like they want?

But France always had some fascist sympathies with their militarism, one-size-fits-all school system and that crap. Well, by far not as bad as the US, to be fair.

Geressen likes this.
  19. DrakeArron

DrakeArron I need me some PIE!

Honestly I would purposefully not respect the national anthem, possibly even to purposefully piss people who would be offended off.
    A: What, is there something horrid about not likeing the country you were born in? I'm pretty sure most Americans would cheer on a North Korean openly rejecting the national anthem.
    B: "But, America is different then other countries! Those are bad!" No, it isn't actually. Not relatively anyway- America is statistically pretty much the worst in nearly every aspect out of any of the first world countries. That alone is good enough reason to dislike it... Putting aside the possibility of hating American politics, which are often far more right wing then nearly every other first world country- We're the oy first world country in existence that debates this much about free healthcare, for example, or has the death penalty (hell, we're so isolated on that issue no one will even send us the drugs to kill inmates anymore and have given at least one inmate an extremely unpleasant death because of it).
    Oh, and that's not even *mentioning* the fact that if you were to actually sing the anthem yourself your progressing belief in a monotheistic god... so Hindus, Buddhists, pagans, atheists and likely others might not only not want to respect the anthem but could be offended by it.
    There are plenty of perfectly good reasons to not respect the anthem. In fact, the fact that people are so offended by the idea of not respecting it only makes me disrespect it more... Because it represents a country with so many of those people in it.

Boozha likes this.
  20. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

you have to look at it from an American point of view. we already live in the best country, so to disrespect it is crazy. for other countries, sure, but for America? outrageous

have a nice day

Baskitkase and newsbuff like this.