Turn based RPG's?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Bondman007, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

K, thanks.

2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I just realized that POE is now Path of Exile AND Pillars of Eternity.

Time to make Path of Eternity and Pillars of Exile.

GO!

darklord48 and Etherielin like this.
  3. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

Although, to be fair to this thread, I wouldn't consider Path of Exile to be Turn based RPG...

Etherielin likes this.
  4. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

Who has played Shadowrun Dragonfall? This seems like a classic. Shadowrun Returns doesn't seem to have very good ratings but I do enjoy a decent steampunk every now and then. Have played Arcanum although I never finished it.

5. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

All 3 of them are fantastic. Dragonfall was originally a DLC for Shadowrun: Returns, but it got so popular that it was made into a standalone with the suggested improvements the community made for :Returns. Hong Kong is the third.

Shadowrun: Returns, Dragonfall, and Hong Kong.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  6. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

IIRC a lot of negative ratings on Shadowrun Returns are because of people seeing ghosts when there were none. Kind of like how Siege of Dragonspear has kinda poor ratings despite being good because people raged about a trans shopkeeper, who says she is trans only if directly asked.

7. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- For Jrpg's with some modern flare can't go wrong with "Battle Chasers : Nightwar" . Definitely got my fix of Final fantasy like combat with synergy battle parties that you can swap around. It's definitely linear but does give you optional side quests that you have to return to old zones for... end game is easy but that's just up to the player if they over level trying to get gear drops etc.

p.s. get necro'd

8. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

I particularly like Tactics ogre: The knight of lodis for the GBA, it has a nice class system and a quest system to get special equipment, really good, I like it better than the final fantasy tactics series.

Now I'm playing tactical monsters on my phone, nice turn based tactical gameplay with card system to level up, a bit grindy, but fun to play.

9. Sokolov

Ogre Battle (All the variants)
    Tactics Ogre
    Final Fantasy Tactics

All amazing.

aseryen likes this.
  10. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

11. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

12. Sokolov

Also, this underrated game:

• Tactical Combat: Check
    • Character upgrade tree: Check
    • Map based meta progression: Check

aseryen likes this.
  13. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

shadowrun games are fun, I see they've been mentioned.

14. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

Has anyone mentioned Divinity Original Sin 2 yet? I think it definitely fits the genre in the title.

15. Thbigchief

- Oh I love the character progression... I only wish the third tier had 2 options again but I know that's some exponential min/max nonsense I love. This on steam or just PStation emulator? I need a shining force/ogre battle next gen rpg game. X-com 2 is great but I actually want to care about my fantasy champs that I customize lol

16. Sokolov

No Steam/PC release that I know of.

And yea, there isn't a TON of options for each class... and Tier 3 is just upgraded Tier 2, but you do get to use a lot of characters so you will end up with lots of different options anyway.

It's also squad based and you might be fighting on multiple fronts, so every character tends to get some use.

(I might not be remembering everything correctly, it's been ~20 years.)

17. Sokolov

Oh, there are also "special" classes for story characters.

18. Thbigchief

- I'll definitely look into it, looks and sounds very ogre battle-esque. Especially with story character special classes etc (dragon knights was it?)

19. Sokolov

Rune Knights. And yea, they have also a limit to the power of monsters they can command etc.

Attached Files:

20. Thbigchief

- Ahh cool, yeah I meant I think in ogre battle the unique hero leaders were sometimes dragon knights

p.s. How can I play this without a psone?