Preview: Pack Updates

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

GOALS
    • Make purchasing and opening packs more interesting/engaging
    • Reduce the number of items in the marketplace
    • Encourage more frequent purchasing of packs for F2P/New Players
    • Reduce the UC/C bloat by increasing the ratio of R to UC/C
    • Make it easier to get the runes for the faction you play with Core/Extended Sets without introducing more packs

STAGE ONE: PS4 Launch

EXPANSION SET PACKS
    Expansion Pack (150 O): 1 R, 2 UC, 2 C + 1 Plat Token
    R slot has 10% chance of being an EX
    Description: Contains 1 Rare, 2 Uncommons and 2 Commons, with a 10% chance of the Rare being upgraded to an Exotic. Comes with a FREE Platinum token.

Expansion Box (4000 O): 30x Expansion Pack + 2 Exotics
    R slot has 10% chance of being an EX
    Expansion Box now simply adds 2 EX as a bonus, rather than replacing one of the R slots (this is important for a future feature)
    Description: Contains 30 Expansion Packs. Comes with 2 FREE Exotics.
    Note: The packs still come with their Plat tokens.

EXTENDED SET PACKS
    Name: Extended Set Pack (Protectorate)
    Cost: 1000 G OR 100 O
    Contents: 1 R, 2 UC, 2 C (Protectorate Runes only) + 1 Platinum Token (R slot has 10% chance of being an EX or LEG)
    Description: Contains 1 Rare, 2 Uncommons and 2 Commons, with a 10% chance of the Rare being upgraded to an Exotic or Legendary. Comes with a FREE Platinum token.

Name: Extended Set Pack (Wrath)
    Cost: 1000 G OR 100 O
    Contents: 1 R, 2 UC, 2 C (Wrath Runes only) + 1 Platinum Token (R slot has 10% chance of being an EX or LEG)
    Description: Contains 1 Rare, 2 Uncommons and 2 Commons, with a 10% chance of the Rare being upgraded to an Exotic or Legendary. Comes with a FREE Platinum token.

CORE SET PACKS
    Name: Core Set Pack (Protectorate)
    Cost: 500 G OR 50 O
    Contents: 1 R, 2 UC, 2 C (Protectorate Runes only) + 1 Platinum Token (R slot has 10% chance of being an EX or LEG)

Name: Core Set Pack (Wrath)
    Cost: 500 G OR 50 O
    Contents: 1 R, 2 UC, 2 C (Wrath Runes only) + 1 Platinum Token (R slot has 10% chance of being an EX or LEG)

STAGE TWO: POST-PS4 LAUNCH
    Introduce a mechanic for packs that guarantees the Rare slot is upgraded if you have opened 10 packs in a row without getting one EX/LEG.

~

As always, feedback is appreciated :)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    IMAGIRL, Andoid, xaznsoulx and 26 others like this.
  2. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Niiiiiiiiiice

3. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

Does this mean the Extended and Core boxes will go away? I mean, with those prices, who cares, but the boxes do make it convenient to buy a whole bunch at one time. Unless, is this specifically being done to make it so people don't feel the need to save as much and can buy more often? (which is fine, I'm just curious).

I also assume that there will be a Wrath pack for Core as well.

On a side note: Are there any plans in regards to the increasingly large difference in size between Core and Extended? Will there ever be consolidations within the Extended section (Extended 1, 2, 3, etc.)? I ask because even with the Wrath and Protectorate packs (which is amazing by the way), I think that eventually getting the Extended packs will frustrating due to the huge amount of randomization.

4. Sokolov

No more boxes for those. And yes, the intention is so that you can play a couple of games and open a pack instead of saving for a few weeks before getting anything new.

hfok, Nora That, ghklf and 10 others like this.
  5. Sokolov

Yes, it is something we are discussing internally but nothing to announce right now tho.

ghklf, Etherielin, Tweek516 and 4 others like this.
  6. SireofSuns

Good to hear! :)

7. SireofSuns

8. poinl

poinl I need me some PIE!

The legendary is still harder to pull right?

9. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

I think you nailed It. Awesome changes

10. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

How do you plan to acomplish point 1(make packs more interedting)?

11. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

I love the phrase "FREE Platinum token" & "purchasing." Honesty guys. Honesty.

12. Sokolov

Haha, you might be right about that.

It's a bit of a historical artifact from when tokens got added to rune packs (previously they were only in their own packs).

OriginalG1 likes this.
  13. SireofSuns

OH.

Will Rune Packs be going away? Please please please no. I NEEDZ THEM!

14. GoldTiger

GoldTiger I need me some PIE!

I mean if you're comparing this to the current price of the megabox (~25 rares, ~3 exos, ~2-3 extra exos, ~4 sharded exos). The old system appears to be giving more bang for your buck (1000 less owls for new, ~27 rares, ~2 exos, ~2-3 extra exos). That's an exo and 4 extra sharded exos for 1000 o. I know expansion exos are worth more, but the old packs seem to be worth more to me no?

15. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

My decision to hoard gold is gonna pay up bigtime! The new extended set packs have (slightly) better chances of dropping legendary runes, while also costing just 28% of the old extended pack cost.

I'm gonna have a scrooge mcduck-style token hoard with how many platinum tokens i'll have.

SireofSuns likes this.
  16. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

Where does this fit in the release schedule? Is the ps4 launch the next thing coming, or will it come a while after the midterm/new pc client?

17. Sokolov

The numbers are likely to change somewhat before launch, but keep in mind that the Megabox is actually a bundled version of the normal Box (and what's show here right now is the Box) with the Megabox generally has some additional bonus/benefit beyond the Box.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  18. SireofSuns

Same.

19. Sokolov

Exact timing is not fully known, it really depends on where it fits in everyone's busy schedule. There is some backend work to make Protectorate/Wrath packs actually work, etc.

SireofSuns likes this.
  20. bambino

bambino I need me some PIE!

very kool...gj..

on a side note,, when you get back to doing tourneys and stuff,,, maybe packs would be bettet prizes then exos/leg.....
    its always fun to open a pack.