23&me: Cool or Drool?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DarkJello, Dec 23, 2016.

1. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

Unwrap you.

Your DNA can tell you a lot about you.

[​IMG]

My wife and I are each taking the plunge as soon as the feds return a big chunk of that monies they took. If desired, I will share the results here in 2-3 months.

What thinkest the gamer peeps on this topic?

https://www.23andme.com/

aseryen and SPiEkY like this.
  2. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I've always been a bit skeptical about these things, as I suspect they misrepresent what the DNA evidence actually means to suit their agenda - in this case to sell a product, but could also be political or whatever.

For example, you get TV programs here where they do stuff like find some racist who hates Germans/Muslims/whatever and swears they are 100% English going back forever, and DNA test them and say turns out you are x% that thing you hate.

Which is replacing what is a flawed view of what being English means, genetically speaking, with another flawed view of what it means.

So I don't know exactly how they work, but what I guess will happen is they'll ask you questions to determine what you want to hear then look at the DNA (which will say bits of it comes from pretty much everywhere, and most bits are so general that everyone has them) and pick out the bits you like and say 'all this is from the vikings', or the romans, or whatever romanticised group you are into. And you'll be happy and they'll be happy and why do I keep pissing on people's fireworks lately?

SPiEkY and DarkJello like this.
  3. DarkJello

I don't mind your skeptical comments, cause they have at least a fair amount of merit. For what it is worth, I don't feel like you whizzed on my fireworks.

When the time comes, I will share a detailed report of my entire interaction with this company. Then you folks can make an informed choice. Fair enough?

4. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

I'm more curious as to what they do with the data/dna profile after you get your results back. That's really, really valuable information to certain people/groups, and I hope there's nothing shady being done.

That said, I'm sure there isn't anything insidious going on, and I'm sure these guys are on the up-and-up, but that unknown stops me from doing things like this, personally.

aseryen and DarkJello like this.
  5. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

apparently we are all related to genghis khan

6. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

The danger is that this stuff is providing us with a lot more information than we really understand. And for consumers there is a real problem of over diagnosis and over medication.

If you are to scan everyone's hearts, almost everyone has some kind of anomaly, most of which never was an issue.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss?

That said, I think this stuff has tremendous value as a whole though for humanity.

7. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

It seems interesting, but I'm waiting until they get a subpoena for someone's DNA to see what the outcome is.

DarkJello and SPiEkY like this.
  8. DarkJello

I am hoping for 50% "Viking" and 50% "jaguar warrior", which means I am gonna be terribly disappointed.

9. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Poor DarkJello, all he wants is to be half scandinavian/north-european germanic, Half mesoamerican aztec.

let us now the results.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    DarkJello likes this.
  10. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

sucks to be him

descendant partially from native Americans and partially from Irish

everyone wants to be european

11. Ragic

then it should have been obvious to you that my post was a joke, since the very next sentence suggested that it was a choice as well. but if you have to feign outrage in order to give a speech I guess don't mind.

[this post references a deleted post, apparently the mods dont bother to read the threads they censor very carefully]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    DarkJello likes this.
  12. DarkJello

He probably was genuinely offended, to be fair. If I received a nickel every time someone intentionally tried to offend me, I would be a rich mofo.

@Geressen I will indeed share the specifics of the entire process, including the results. My wife is allegedly 10-20% "Mayan", and we are excited to employ science.

@BurnPyro Why did you say it "sucks to be him", in reference to me, on page 1?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    Etherielin and Geressen like this.
  13. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

Well, your ideas are so absurd so often I tend to think that you believe in everything you spew out onto the forums. Also I've seen that exact chain of responses too many times not to get triggered by the sheer stupidity of it.

14. Ragic

It's ok I forgive you

DarkJello likes this.
  15. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

It is just his MO. Use every opportunity to be an ass, then say something along the lines of, "it was just a prank, bro" if people actually respond seriously. The only proper response to such a person is to nod and smile and not respond.

16. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

i actually made a wager using imaginary money on Ragic giving a certain response but it looks like he is ignoring my post so now I guess I cannot give my imaginary children the imaginary presents they imaginarily wanted for christmas.

SPiEkY likes this.
  17. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

GG gib munai

18. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

*imagines giving Burns 5 money*
    this is why I do not gamble with real money.

19. Ragic