Hungry Dead should be changed to cause Ensnared even without damage

Discussion in 'Forsaken Wastes' started by concealedweapon, Dec 25, 2016.

1. concealedweapon

concealedweapon I need me some PIE!

According to the description, Hungry Dead causes 4 damage and Ensnared to anyone damaged.

Because of Ironfist Stronghold reducing spell damage by 6, this spell becomes completely useless. It should be changed to cause Ensnared even if it doesn't cause damage.

(I don't know from personal experience how this spell is supposed to work, because I've only ever played as Ironfist Stronghold, so I've always been completely immune to this spell.)

Netherzen likes this.
  2. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

Ok, first of all, we around here call that spell Grabby Hands. Get it right next time. :p

Secondly, I agree with the suggestion, though I think some might consider this a waste of time since almost no one runs Grabby Hands anymore.

3. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

It's one of my few auto-include spells, actually. It's very, very good.

As for the thread topic -- nah, it just sucks against IS. Get used to it.

aseryen and SireofSuns like this.
  4. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

If it was changed to LoL, would that get around the IS bonus?

5. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Yes.

6. SireofSuns

Do you think if the damage was lowered (maybe like, 2 or 3?) and changed to LoL, would it still be something you would run? (I honestly love that spell, but get frustrated using it against IS due to it not snaring without damage, so I usually switch it out due to frustration :( ).

aseryen and Netherzen like this.
  7. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

I stopped using that spell because it is 100 percent useless against IS.

8. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Probably not. Maybe at 3 LoL, not at 2. Against IS I just don't use it. Easy enough. The FW matchup against IS (sans Medal of Valor) is already pretty solid, so it's no major loss.

SireofSuns likes this.
  9. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I would be ok with the change but what is the point of the IS bonus if it doesnt counter anything :/

aseryen likes this.
  10. concealedweapon

concealedweapon I need me some PIE!

It should be like Gale Force. The IS faction bonus should prevent the damage but not the entire effect. The way it is now, it's guaranteed to be completely useless against an entire faction.

11. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

It doesn't need a change. Works amazingly against 7 out of 8 factions that's nothing to complain about.

aseryen likes this.
  12. SireofSuns

It soft counters stuff, which is enough. It means that spell spam will do damage, but not enough to really be useful. I mainly would like the change so that it still has the grabby effect against IS, even without any damage.

Ah, but you forget, those numbers are weighted. IS has a strong "weight" in terms of how often it gets played (which before the patch was a lot, now I'm not so sure). Those weights change with what people are playing.

So... It's probably close to Grabby Hands being useless 20-30% of the time, rather than 12.5% of the time.

13. ghklf

ghklf I need me some PIE!

It either works improperly or is described improperly.

Guess only devs may know its original intention.o_O

14. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Nah, it is working as described. The description is crappy, but accurate.

15. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

This is change for the sake of change. Leave as is.

16. SireofSuns

Ehhh...

It's change for the sake of it not being useless against someone because of the faction they chose to play. I don't remember, but I think there are some other things that have similar issues, and they rarely (if ever) see play because of it.

17. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

But it does see (a fair amount) of play. If a rune is used and isn't OP leave as is imo

aseryen likes this.
  18. Somnolence

Somnolence The King of Potatoes

Well, it doesn't really help you argument is you forgot the example lol. I think Hungry Dead is a really good rune as is. It deals 8 (4 on entry and 4 each turn) damage total before your opponent can even react to it at aoe 2 for 35 nora, and its effect to ground and ensnare stays on the field for 4 turns. The fact that it doesn't affect IS is fine by me because it's good against every other faction unlike other more expensive spells in FW that is commonly used such as Doom (even prenerf). Buffing its effect would only cause the cost to go up unless you decrease the damage it can inflict, but I'd much rather it stay the same.

19. SireofSuns

Chains of Corruption is currently just a better version. Yes, it's only 5 damage, but it's also LoL and a bigger AOE. Chains of Corruption is really only worse in that it doesn't stay around.

Desecration is another spell that comes to mind is almost useless against IS (it's alright for anti-relic/shrine, but it isn't needed [or used?] for that at all).

A friend that no doesn't play very much at all suggested that instead, the IS bonus could reduce spell damage by 6, to a minimum of 1. Which would be nice, but that might be overkill.

Fair amount? I have barely seen anyone besides Kalasle use it, and I never see it put into posted bg's.

In the end, I can see why not changing it would be alright. There are plenty of spells (and runes in general) that are sometimes completely useless (for various reasons). However, I dislike it when runes are useless because a very simple thing in the game (factions), rather than being useless against certain runes or situations.

ghklf likes this.
  20. limone1981

limone1981 I need me some PIE!

@SireofSuns I use it and I love it, gives me time to prep my champ better for the next turn, help giving the final blow to some champ, creates a small DMZ on the opposite champ , it's a good spell and yeah is bad against IS but almost all the AOE spell are bad against that faction.