New Client?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fleshbits, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

@Fleshbits Markoth has already provided you with the info. Perhaps a more thorough reading of his posts would help next time?

SPiEkY likes this.
  2. bambino

bambino I need me some PIE!

@Fleshbits
    quick story,,,
    I use to play Heroes of might &magic, a 2d tbs game,, I started with homm2, then 3 and 4, loved em. Then homm5 was released in 3d!!, 3d champs,, upgraded art,,, etc.
    long story short,,
    the game was ruined, , its not that the art was bad,, and it was in the style I like, (serious and dark), it was just to busy, bit cluttered, ,sometimes clunky,,
    just didn't like it, not at all , and I never looked at the series again.
    your so sure pox would gain a ton of people with updated 3d grahics eh?
    im not so sure,, not at all..

3. Fleshbits

Fleshbits Member

...and on we go to the "I'm just trying to help you" white knight defense. It's almost like the Chewbaca defense, but a bit more simple.

What are you trying to "Help" with, exactly?
    My original post asked questions about the upcoming game client. There were no pleas for "help".

Do you think that if I set my game settings to windowed 1200x780, that I will find the game to be more playable?
    No. I won't. Do you know how resolution of source vs resolution of monitors works?

I am playing at a monitor resolution of 1200x800 and the game client at 1200x800 fullscreened windowed, and it still makes me squint.
    The game was made in 2006. It needs updating.

4. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

5. Fleshbits

Fleshbits Member

Except, HOMM5 is not the same game as HOMM3. Not by a long shot. Very poor anology. A better analogy would be if they had updated HOMM3 with 3D graphics, without changing anything else about the game at all. They didn't do that. They sent the franchise through Ubisoft's sewer system instead.

...and again, I realize you aren't all graphics programmers, but I could present the game looking exactly like it does now, not changing its looks one iota, and render it in 3D, allowing for a rotating camera.

Just an example technique: http://nehe.gamedev.net/article/billboarding_how_to/18011/

I'd prefer 3D models, at poly counts, with textures at resolutions, matching today's standards, but, that's just an option.

6. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

someone asks a question, they are helping you by answering, the polite part is because they are being considerate.

you must be some sjw that has drunk the koolade far too long to not understand simple etiquette.

may as well lock this now because this is either a troll or something far worse it's not going to get any better

Tweek516 and SPiEkY like this.
  7. Etherielin

@Fleshbits Why are you so insistent on changing the visuals though? One of my favourite examples, Battle for Wesnoth (an open source game, so you can help it if you want), is 13 years old and still uses oldschool sprites instead of flashy stuff. As far as I know they have widescreen support, so the game stretches properly on bigger monitors. The game is successful enough to be feature a huge playerbase (despite being primarily a single player game, although it has MP and dedicated servers) and was good enough to be added as a staple product in Linux app centre.

Below is a screenshot from their official website in 1280 x 768 as its default resolution. You can check it yourself as it's a 1st result in Google Images when you type "Battle for Wesnoth". Posting it here to show you how "dated" graphics can still look appealing to others.
    [​IMG]

SPiEkY likes this.
  8. bambino

had they done the same to homm3 ,, I would have felt the same ,,, of this im sure..
    samething with panzer gen,, great series, then went 3d...bye bye :)

9. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

If 3d graphics and rotating cameras is a selling point for you perhaps check out http://www.spacewars.com/ which is the other game in development by DoG.

DiCEM0nEY and SPiEkY like this.
  10. Fleshbits

Fleshbits Member

He hasn't answered any question in the original post. A developer did, however.

What he has done though is argue that the problems presented from the perspective of a new player, aren't really problems at all, because for some reason, or through use of some super human eyesight, everything looks "normal" to him. Whatever, "normal" is.

The notion that we are even arguing about the resolution of the game's assets is ridiculous to me, and to be perfectly honest, has made me lose any kind of faith I had in this game's community. It's not even something that should be up for debate, nor did my original post ask to debate it.

Here is the etiquitte I try to follow:
    1) Be to the point
    2) Do not call names
    3) Do not hurl insults
    4) Use logic and reason
    5) Demonstrate findings or present factual data
    6) Do not tolerate contradictions, lies, game industry propoganda, and/or marketing tricks, and cliche' fallacies, and call it like you see it.

Every game forum ever:
    Step 1) Criticism made
    Step 2) White knight poses illogical argument
    Step 3) Argument goes on for 80 pages, wandering farther and farther from point of original post
    Step 4) White knights hurl insults, call names, and make pointless replies like "lock this thread"
    Step 5) Thread closed, regardless of behavior of original poster.
    Step 6) Criticism fades into the ether.
    Step 7) Fleshbits gets angry and makes Youtube videos in cases where game communities really piss him off. (not even close yet, but see my reviews for Hex Shard of Fate on Steam!)

Now, can you even tell me what we are debating here?

Can you put it into premise and conclusion form? -- That's usually a very good way to tell how far the argument has wandered. It might not even be an argument at all anymore.

Do you have anything useful to add?

11. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I present the first and second post of this thread. Say again?

Tweek516, Etherielin and SPiEkY like this.
  12. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Yes, there is a new client coming.

They are on the forums. Here are some sample posts from the announcements section:
    http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/pox-nora-on-playstation.23182/
    http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/pox-nora-at-playstation-experience-event.25228/

No.

13. Fleshbits

Fleshbits Member

Fair enough.
    But again, we don't have to go fully 3D to use 3D technology.

A problem I have posed it that I have trouble both seeing and selecting units that are behind other units or structures in the game in its current form. Namely, because they are using the painter algorithm, back to front, with no means of rotating the view to see the back.

What is an alternate proposal that would address that problem?

14. Etherielin

@Fleshbits I would like you to address my questions as you have avoided them so far. It is easy to look for a grudge when you overlook those, who try to remain level-headed while talking to you.

As for camera rotation - this is something the current client cannot support and the new one has not included as it wasn't requested nor did it seem needed because of the nature of the game. The issues like yours were either not raised in the past or deemed unnecessary for the time being as there are other more important concerns (such as getting the new client out) to take care of.

15. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

The only question you asked was answered right away.

The thread developed as a result of you saying that things did not look the way you would expect. At first it seemed that this was a result of your graphics settings but you have since made it clear that it is your own preferences about how you believe things should look. As I have already told you, the decision to use pixel sprites is a deliberate choice that while rooted in the games older age was reiterated in the decision to return to them after using 3D sprites just a few years ago. You can disagree with that decision and that is ok but you should not look down your nose at the people that disagree with you. Poxnora is a product and its appearance is part of that. You can't buy a coupe and get upset that the model you bought didn't come with a convertible roof and then chew out the people that say they like the coupe because the wind doesnt mess up their hair.

16. Fleshbits

Fleshbits Member

Great, and what do your game settings or screenshots have to do with that?
    Also, your answer was not accurate and a more accurate answer was given by a dev, at which point, you could easily just fade away.

No, no, and no.

Images drawn for a screen at 800x600 and rendered on a screen 1900x1080 have nothing to do with "what I'd expect" or how "I like things to look." My graphics settings have nothing to do with it. The fact that it was made in 2006, in the era of VGA adpaters and dev caps, has everything to do with it. Why are you arguing this? What's in it for you, really?

Forgive me if I just stop answering you directly at this point. I am more interested to see if there is any useful discussion from others.

17. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

It would perhaps be to your advantage if you spent more time trying to present what you are trying to say instead of demeaning what others are. You still have not made clear what you want other than 3d sprites and rotating cameras which has already been presented to you as off the table. You keep talking about how simple it would be to do but have not explained why you seem to think that to be the case. You say that we are not graphical programmers which is true so try putting it in layman terms. If I draw a picture on a piece of paper, cut it out and hand it to you, how will you make it 3d when there is nothing on the other side of the paper and was only designed to be viewed from one angle? Even if you could what are the advantages of being able to do so?

Etherielin likes this.
  18. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

it would not in any way be simple to add a 3d camera and 3d sprites to a fully 2d ancient game like pox

19. bambino

ok, theres been many times I couldnt select a unit because it was blocked,, wasting precious turn time,, and yea thats a problem , I agree.
    My first impusle as a fix might be a "cycle" button that would allow one to cycle through, enemy, or friendly units,, I guess.
    tho this may be an option in new ui.
    I can understand wanting better graphics in any game, but making this 3d? it would probably be faster just to remake the game.

20. Fleshbits

Fleshbits Member

Only because it's a good question:

Put that paper in your kitchen table standing up vertically, facing you. You'll have to hold it, or gravity will make it slide down and lay on the table instead.
    Now imagine no gravity.
    Now imagine the paper turned to face you as you walked around the table, such that you were always looking perpendicular to the plane that is the paper.
    That's billboarding.

Do you have the source code?
    Have you ever written a 3d engine?
    Have you ever used one?

It may or may not be. I'm just some guy and I think I could do it, using all the current art and assets, and some libraries I have laying around, in under 6 months, minus the networking and market.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016