slam KB bypasses CA2

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by calisk, Jan 9, 2017.

1. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

so slam kb damage which is an ability seems to bypass CA 2, while all other KB sources that originate from spells and abilities is prevented

2. Nastyhobo

Nastyhobo The King of Potatoes

I don't understand, are you saying knock back damage is supposed to be blocked by combat awareness or a specific source of it should have been blocked?

Has CA always stopped KB damage cause that doesn't really make sense to me, but I mean if it's canon then I won't argue with it.

3. calisk

knock back from abilities/spells has always been blocked by CA 2

that said this is a bit of a grey area, since it's a targetted ability that causes the knock back...

that said things like gale(spell or ability) that cause knock back which is un-targeted damage, is prevented and always has been/

4. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I don't know if it is true that CA used to prevent KB damage, but currently, based on my testing, no KB damage (from any source) is prevented by Combat Awareness.

Gale Force's KB did full damage to a CA champ.

5. concealedweapon

concealedweapon I need me some PIE!

I've seen KB damage from Earthshaker being halved on a champion with CA1.

6. calisk

I use gale all the time on yeti hounds and the damage is always prevented, even from the champs getting knocked into them.

seismic also was prevented

I thought it was intentional since it was damage caused by abilities from sources that were not direct damage and the only exception stated in the ability is ground damage, a champ cannot cause knock back without an ability as far as i'm aware

7. Nastyhobo

Nastyhobo The King of Potatoes

Combat Awareness actually function's differently then a lot of people seem to think. It merely blocks damage from untargetted spells/abilities, the effect of those abilities however may still work on your champ despite CA. For example Anathema will still cause decaying and defiled on camps with CA however it will not deal the damage.

Additionally if a champion was be knocked back I don't see how that damage would be considered untargetted and therefor blocked by CA. I can however see why in some cases the knock back effect itself may have been blocked. Some abilities (Like Anathema as I mentioned) will cause effects regardless of wether the damage connected or not, and this may be the same case for AoE knock back effects. I have no idea if tremor or gale force cause knock back upon damage or if it causes both knock back AND damage, if you follow what I'm saying?

Anyways that's how I've always understood it. Im open to being wrong though.

8. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

CA definitely blocks gale KB.

9. Sokolov

Not when I just tested it.

When did you last see this? I am guessing some other change we made to fix some other issue caused this, but I am inclined to say this is now WAI either way.

10. Tweek516

Might have been prepatch. But I definitely saw this in game.

Cannot remember if I specifically galed the CA champ, or galed another champ into this CA champ. Will test now.

11. Tweek516

Wait, just to clarify I am talking about KB damage. Realise I didn't make this clear. Sorry.

12. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

CA2 blocks damage from all sources of knockback (that i've encountered). I've been using a monk BG with Augur of the Deep and Leaf on the Wind (with Combat awareness 2) and routinely slam, water vortex and gale force champs into him with no damage taken. Also, Combat awareness 1 (like from Shield) reduces a 15-damage knockback to 7 damage.

13. Tweek516

Yeah, think there was a confusion between the knockback itself and the damage due to denied knockback.

14. calisk

well the source that I run into the most frequently is the sl slam champ, an I take damage from it frequrently.

maybe it only protects the champ if the source is friendly?

as recently as the day before yesterday did a gale sandwich with two yeti hounds dealing 36 to the opposing units and 0 to my hounds

15. Dolcebrodude

Dolcebrodude The King of Potatoes

I... I'm not sure what to make of this but I just had to test it for myself. The priest was standing *before* the green square and correctly traveled just 1 space and then took 5. CA2 seems to work if the slam knock is friendly.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  16. calisk

This would be consistent with what I'm experiencing it's likely true of all friendly sources....and by the sounds of that it's unintended which is unfortunate, KB immunity was largely why I was running yeti hound

17. Sokolov

I will make a note to do an audit.