Sadly, Tortuns Pretty Much Suck Right Now

Discussion in 'Forglar Swamp' started by Elric, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Elric

Elric I need me some PIE!

Have you tried playing with Ponderous on EVERY single champ?

Means you can barely ever double-hit an opponent.

Stability means you can NEVER ever increase your Tortuns' speed.

Your only chance is if you deploy an early Tortun Portalmage, but with all the anti-summons runes and abilities out there, this is an iffy chance at best.

Not sure why a new Tortun is even coming out in the next release as it's just for another dead theme.

You have to severely outplay your opponent to have a slight chance.

For example, if you play against another FS deck, like Boghoppers or Firk or Mirefolk, you're basically just dead in the water as you, the Tortun player, chose a sub-optimal theme.

2. GoldTiger

GoldTiger I need me some PIE!

I will have to disagree. To me tortuns are one of the more competetive FS classes. Their ranged threats are powerful and melee extremely tanky. I believe halfgodx plays them at a high level (take that as you may). Perhaps post your deck and I could check if it abuses your ranged threats enough.

3. Slencer

Slencer The King of Potatoes

Well every tortun has ponderous but there are also some tortuns with multiattack which makes it even again.
    Also stability is more of an advantage imo since tortuns are immune to stall and arent that much affected from curse.

4. Elric

Looks like he hardly ever plays anymore, but thanks for trying to help.

5. Cinder405

Cinder405 I need me some PIE!

Ponderous might seems like a big drawback but Tortuns have great stats in exchange.

With that said Tortun Captain is x2 auto include in any Tortun BG. He doesn't suffer from Ponderous because of Multiattack, he generates extra AP for your Tortuns to have enough AP to possibly double tap, and if that wasn't enough Tortuns Trade grants 2 AP at a small cost of Nora to any Tortun within 5 spaces.

If you are splitting with KF you should run Eirluns Favor because it grants 2 AP to all your Tortuns within AOE 3. As an added effect it decreases all enemy champions' AP by 2 as well.

There are different ways to bypass Ponderous. If you split with SP you can run x2 Looting Bag as it grants Multi-Attack and additional abilities to champions that have Banditry (Many Tortuns have the option for Banditry). Another good tip with SP is to run runes that synergize with knockback abilities (Poison cloud, Ole Sock, Tortun Land Mine, Artillery Marker, Cyclops Eye Belt, Vicious Harpoon)

I hope this helps.

Gnomes likes this.
  6. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

At least Tortuns can be played in FF FS without penalty. Tortuns in FF KF have no bonus, not even the split bonus. Yikes!

Ohmin and Tweek516 like this.
  7. Elric

Sadly, there is not a SINGLE top Tortun player, as the one mentioned before pretty much doesn't play anymore.

There used to be a reason to run an all-Tortun deck, but not now. I don't think Sokolov really knew what to do with them, so he kinda thought, "Well, let me just give them this Tortun Shell that has some abilities tied together and call it a day."

Seriously, any top player would just maybe run some of the good Tortuns, but definitely not run an all-Tortun deck, unless he/she wants a MAJOR disadvantage.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  8. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

there are few top players anyway, so you can't expect to see all themes played. i saw some good player playing ud fs tortuns recently. tinydragon is playing leoss recently and it wasnt considered a top bg.

Tweek516 likes this.
  9. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

What?

10. Dolcebrodude

Dolcebrodude The King of Potatoes

Tortun shell was nerfed and now gives Stability. Back in MY day that was Unstoppable right there but since then rip my Battle Fatigue bg.

[​IMG]

Gnomes likes this.
  11. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

Don't get the +1 speed. You get more of a KF bonus when you run KF/FS than FF KF. It really sucks that they're just impossible to play FF KF.

12. Cinder405

Yeah FF KF Tortuns have nothing going for them.

13. Elric

What if Stability is changed so that Speed AND Defense cannot be altered. Then, things like Illuminate would not affect Tortuns. Just a minor change, but would help Tortuns.

Maybe Tortuns should also ALL have Defense of 3 since ALL the Tortun shells are the same strength. LOL ;)

14. Cinder405

I think the overall concept of Tortuns is great. They don't really need an overhaul or anything like that. The ONLY issue that there is that because of Stability a full faction Tortun BG is literally the only BG in the whole game to not benefit from its factions bonus. There has to be something about that.

15. Capitulator

Capitulator I need me some PIE!

Only true when posting in the KF forum. Time to play FF FS?

16. Cinder405

I actually play FS too. I stick to boghoppers though.

17. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

A Tortun with Clone Matter; thoughts? Clone Horn of Order...OP or?

18. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

upload_2017-5-25_14-38-47.png
    I have had luck winning with this bg in ranked before and after new client. Trying to use sandblast's damage debuff in combo with 1/2 the sl bonus and turtons high defense. I use sentinel on torton reapers to help get extra attacks in. Fishkissers are doing their thing when your opponent is -3 damage. Mangelshell with frightful blows adds spot -3 damage. A surprise dragon beacon is an effective way to deal with turtons mobility issue. Markouk of dunes gives everyone on sand evasive1 and reflexes1 for 4 turns. Battlemaster relics, more defense. Horrific Mutation, more defense.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    newsbuff, Gnomes and aseryen like this.
  19. Capitulator

Capitulator I need me some PIE!

What are your thoughts on Transport with Deep Dive?

In the past I've tried using two Transports with Leap To Battle (each load+unload generates AP and resets the attack chain). You might be able to get more value out of it with something like that too.

20. Woffleet

Woffleet I need me some PIE!

that's a really cool interaction. So essentially do they gain intiative 2 or does intative just trigger twice?