Theme Overview: Barbarians

Discussion in 'Ironfist Stronghold' started by Thbigchief, Feb 8, 2015.

?

Would you rather get ....

1. Dunk't by incite rage spam?

10.4%
  2. Rekt by Bastion shenanigans?

16.7%
  3. Outplayed by shirtless sex machines? ... that have a fun balanced theme

72.9%
  1. Hierokliff

Hierokliff I need me some PIE!

Berserker is a great ability, it just needs its support with AP gen or mobility that i think the current barbarians are really missing.
    something like this ability would be great on him as a warchief, and not found on any other barbarian atm.
    Camaraderie (5 nora)
    Champions that share a race or class with this champion cost 3 less Nora. This does not stack.

2. Hierokliff

Did a new BG with barbarian focus, and i dont think the problem are really the champs.
    But if i try to make a barbarian BG, the number of relics, equips and spells that actually helps them or fit their theme are very limited.

spells: hammerstrike, earthquake fit always
    relics: none (maybe earthshaker and standard)
    equip: granite bracers

3. Slencer

Slencer The King of Potatoes

Pride of sarnghaver is amazing

4. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

This is what I have been playing the last couple games. Been working very well and beat top 20 Skywings. Centers around pure efficiency and numbers. Renegades have Banditry so they generate 2 nora and your opponent loses 2 nora every time they attack. Exemplars have Call to Arms so every time they attack your units are 2 nora cheaper. Veilwalker causes your opponent to lose 8 Nora every time an opposing champion dies.
    upload_2017-5-20_14-2-8.png

panthersfan95 and Hierokliff like this.
  5. Hierokliff

Used more or less the same bg earlier and its powerful and fun, but felt more like a holytheme-mix then barbarian theme for me, so when i try to get in more brutal barbarian it gets ruined. What i think shouldnt be in a barbarians BG from these are barbarian guardian, carrier squire, inquisitor, terraformers and maybe not plainswalker either. all 4 equips are good but "meta" more then barbarian.

nice to hear someone beating Skywings :)

6. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- Pride of S. is terrible...Everytime someone explains how good it is, it's usually some long winded anecdote that they theory-crafted. I have used the spell to good effect but either the assault was wasted or the resolute...and it was not efficient I just ate the cost.

- Now if it gave arrow-eater and assault for even 2 turns it would help the major problem with barbs. Surprises and range weakness

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    Hierokliff likes this.
  7. Thbigchief

- Barbarian Guardian used to have camaraderie...rip

8. Thbigchief

- Yeah this is a deck type that feels good mid to late... Of course camaraderie would make this almost a must playstyle. Unfortunately it feels like barbarian attrition... I wanna rush I wanna be able to pressure side fonts, I want to be able to surprise my opponent with a surprise turn. Unfortunately none of this is an option currently imo.

9. Hierokliff

No this deck is actually good from the start, renegades, ghoulhunters are very efficient early. and each time you hit with a renegade you get nora, it looks low but it really helps fast. So if you want a rush deck this is kinda the way to go for barbarians atm.
    But for me it really depends on bastion,terraformer and plainswalker to win the game, the others are to stall.

10. Hierokliff

What if we did go OP like nuts and made barbarian diviner have Mass Teleport (barbarians only)? But the only 2 units that have it are legendary, so think its out of the question.
    its sad that Wings of glory gives pounce, now that would have been awesome on Pride of Sanghaver instead, atm iam trying bless of al'mara + wings of glory on my barbarians to get extra mobility, but removed that after one test. Charge is not even close to as good as pounce are, so many maps etc that its useless to have glorious charge, especially if using 2x2 units.

what iam really missing are some good support champ for barbarians, like carrier squire, dwarf beermaiden, no we got Sarnghavien herder. And she comes with 3 useless abilities and 5spd.
    or Houndmaster, would like to say he is bad, but he isnt really...

And equipment barbarian, is there any barbarian with provision? couldnt find any when searching, or free sunder axes guess i could use the mystic forge but it needs a mason to be paying of and probably a master axeman or 2

11. Hierokliff

Think ill try the new wild chieftain, he looks funny :)
    And after testing the Medal of Valor i noticed its alot better then i thought still (since it works on brewmasters,terraformers etc and its not +1/turn so we can still get dmg fast), so i should just shut up and put it back in the bg and use it.

12. Hierokliff

no our Houndmaster got nerfed :-( no more drunk dogs, oh well never seen them in pvp except when i tried it myself and put it back in the dustbox, so no big deal.

did other summons also get unequippable?

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  13. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

You must have been fighting something that gave them Unequippable, because they didn't get it.

14. Hierokliff

hmm or been tired? looks good now, i can still run my drunk dogs :) since they are brutes they get full buff from beermaiden, then boost beast and standard, makes them 30hp puppies

15. Hierokliff

Ok so I did not like the wild chieftain, but he is actually kinda fun. Not sure how to use him yet, maybe as a full buffer, but atm iam using him mixed, I do like Instigate very much while Incite Rage isnt as fun. 12dmg is alot so if i was using him as a full buffer then my ranged would get alot of extra dmg.

Overall i think the latest patch was good for barbarians, except for Interrogator, she is better but still I got no idea if ill ever use her?

upload_2017-5-26_21-20-41.png

16. Thbigchief

- That's the concept for New Wild Chieftain... aggressive support. Old incite, then invigorate and now new incite rage are abilities that you want to keep in play... but the old Chieftain had a buncha offensive stats etc which made it counter-productive.

- If you used him as a beater then you sandbagged yourself due to invig/incite ... since you don't want your champ dying in the front line before he gets value from his abilities....and with beserker he cant store AP so if you used invig you were out of position to attack and if you attacked vice versa.

- This new build concept gives you a way to be involved in the mid-back line without feeling like you wasted Nora on dead stats or abilities. He can axe throw which also debuffs so even if you used his Damage with inspire you can still debuff without feeling sandbagged. He is a chieftain so he had to have access to warchief abilities but I have to be honest , it never feels good to take these...that would be the next thing I'll suggest a tweak of. (Stone clan too good, blood clan too pigeon holed, storm clan on ranged champs most often and hard to not hurt your own allies with)

- As for interrogator...now your hurting my feelings. I love how this one turned out and appreciate Sok being open to cleaning some older runes up. The interrogator had ZERO playability before this change imo (glass cannon, that had no gap closing and would blow up after a pummel if your lucky). Now it is a ranged threat... and tbh punish+assault feels like counter me or lose on some side font skirmishes vs a ranged flanker. She is an anti-ranged shock trooper that I feel does what shes supposed to well but still blows up to melee threats or tanks...which is good because we had issues in the past with swiss army champs that do everything.

- What do you think of the herder?

17. Hierokliff

oh sorry, but i had a crush on the old interrogator, so anything worse then how she was with pummel,poison or however it was she was killing the fields 10years ago... and ill cry like a lil baby.

But really assault+punish, when would it ever work? So her two base abilities are really junk imo, sorry but no way they will ever be useful besides in theory, hmm ok maybe with so many new PSN players :)
    upgrade option 1, i hope all pummel gets merged into 1 pummel and she can have some other option, pummel, cleave, multiattack1, sunder, rend, poison in the future
    upgrade option 2, elusive leap is great! it gives her mobility and that dodge she will need to survive.
    Losing 1spd is bad, 7spd champs are so powerful, but guess anything to reduce her costs.

She is better in this version then earlier one :)

- Herder, tried it before and it was BAD earlier. so i havent looked at her again. but I do that right now.
    1. range 3-4 is really annoying i hope it was to reduce her cost.
    2. Invigorate-2 is good, and she is the only barbarian with it now, so if i want a barbarian deck and any AP gen its the only choice now and houndmaster with invigorate-1 / drive.
    3. I personally dont like grant: rage potion and wish it removed, its 6 nora, it dont fit barbarians, its an Imp/goblin ability, if she had carouse instead i would probably use her alot more, and she would be the first barbarian with it.
    4. Great that she lost that ability that healed others when she died.
    5. Boost beast? Maybe useful for Fist of Bastion, found 5 barbarian+beast runes when i looked fast, but if she had carouse she could be very useful for houndmasters dog combo.

overall better, but not really fun?
    ps
    thanks for making sure our awesome barbarians did get alot of love in this patch :)

panthersfan95 likes this.
  18. Hierokliff

Yeah the 2 of the 3 clans are strange
    Blood clan - change fearless for Prestige (and merge the different fear,horror etc so its easier to understand what it works on/against)

Storm clan - electric aura is just isch
    relocate ally, jolt, paralyctic feedback, paralyctic strike, imbue stun... so many things it could do instead and be really interesting

so looking forward for possible changes / upgrades for the 3 clans in the future
    I love stone clan, it really fits IS like it is, or maybe its just because its a bit OP?

19. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Mechanically, the way Clan abilities work requires a ranked ability.

20. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I love both of the current iterations. Storm Clan Bastion with Warchief Inauguration is super good.

Hierokliff likes this.