troll'n

Discussion in 'Ironfist Stronghold' started by OriginalG1, Jul 28, 2016.

1. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

aseryen likes this.
  2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Because that's not how it works.

I wrote something to explain the relationship between the different parts of the game: http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/how-does-poxnora-work.27324/

aseryen likes this.
  3. Sokolov

This is something that's actually much better than it was, but it's certainly not perfect by any means. A lot of this has to do with different designers in different timeframes using different words, but in some cases it actually does have a code ramification. The main thing about adjusting these is that I have to make sure that what I change it to is actually correct to the code - and in some cases, it won't be if I change it even if the difference is subtle. In other cases, it's fine to change it.

All in all, the idea of an "attack" itself is not a consistent one in code, and it's something I have been struggling to define on the design side for awhile and haven't reached a solution yet. I agree with you on "basic attack" vs "non-basic attack" and would love to get to that point.

Hierokliff likes this.
  4. Hierokliff

Hierokliff I need me some PIE!

(15dmg 8spd because it has shatter)
    I think its our first ranged shattering unit, now the trolls just need to find equips somehow to get use of it.

oh make me wish for a new ability
    "Scrounge" after killing an enemy the troll check the parts and tears it apart and grabs the leftover as its new weapon, shield, helmet or whatever +1 def or +3hp max.
    guess it would trigger on gathering a nora globe.

5. Hierokliff

upload_2017-6-8_10-27-36.png

Its how it looks atm, removed more trolls for earth elemental, want that rock defiance + hps + mobility.
    2 marsh trolls with pummel because how flame breath buggy ability works, so lets use it as much as possible .-p
    2 Megalith because they are just crazy good if you can keep them well protected
    bastion, euan, druid to have some good units that can keep the game going on their own.
    2 rockforger to hopefully get out alot of free hps in the end.
    valdaci sentry because he is that good and i want some kind of detectiong, the lodestone guardians are good at carry the equips for more detection
    providence, lets use it while we can, soon its for warrior only and put into shoebox
    wildeye bracers, because they are so OP AP-gen when getting the ongoing flow.
    warchief inauguration, +dmg +5max hp and rend, and it stacks so if you see that you can throw down that spell, just do it, on anything even if it already has it

its an expensive deck, so you want stalling, get down both nora mine before turn 10 but not the first 5 turns because you need units down, then slowly build power.
    i use bless of al'mara to get the lodestones flying, i got problem maneuver 2x2 so if i get them flying it makes life alot easier.

OriginalG1 likes this.
  6. OriginalG1

upload_2017-6-8_9-24-17.png
    Markoth put this onto Bastion, now any champion can gain rock defiance.

7. OriginalG1

Why wide eye bracers 2x? I could see it being decent with Ballista, however Providence is really great on Ballista.

8. Hierokliff

Hmm they get 1 AP per attack for each unit that attacks nearby, so 2 ballistas trigger on eachothers for always 2AP for each attack so they have full AP always. Providence is OP when used on Megaliths, but yeah they work on Ballistas also depending on need.
    And if a Megalith is near, it triggers on Sentinel giving them extra AP's also so they can keep blasting...

oh and wildeye is also real good on an offensive Bastion, since all playerss can count and fear Bastion, they know where too position. but then suddenly your Bastion gets 3-4 extra AP because you could pummel with trolls or fire with something or hit with rocklings, and he cleaves and you win. they are also good on Plainswalkers with zeal:dmg, since you get extra ap so dual tapping and keeping that zeal:dmg up is so easy.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    OriginalG1 likes this.
  9. Hierokliff

Yes but Rock defiance SUCKS since basic attacks are so rare. its one of those things that looks real good before you try it, but its not practical. Tried it alot with both plainswalkers, bastion, its actually kinda ok on plainswalker since with multiattack any extra dmg and life they get make them very good. but think its better to just spam warchief inauguration on plainswalker since i learned it stack to no limit.

Now when @Sokolov has sorted out all basic vs non-basic attacks and brought them all in order, then maybe rock defiance will be as good as it should.

And besides Rock Front used to come first of all fronts, so if you fought water, sand, snow it was always covered by other terrains even when it was your turn. tried to use it as a counter to drown but hah :p

10. OriginalG1

upload_2017-6-11_2-14-1.png
    latest version. more healing and some relic/equipment discounts. Far shot from Merchant's Quarter for aspect but is decent on Gravitone, spot evasive is good with trolls. Still knockback heavy. Just a slow grinding pace when playing trolls, ftw.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  11. Sokolov

But Rock Defiance triggers on non-basics also?

aseryen likes this.
  12. Hierokliff

never noticed that, i just notice they die so fast and it rarely triggers, guess i gotta make a new deck and test it more.
    but when you say a non-basic attack... is that power attack, breath, cleave, pummel, nova, pounce...
    think i need to make me a list of attacks and figure which are basic or non-basic or is there one already?

maybe iam just stupid but imo either an attack is basic or non-basic
    but guess some abilities aint an attack, they just do damage, and this confuses me :)

13. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Trolls are Bane Shift, always have been. You can get it rolling on some maps but soon as you have to deploy in two directions, they get steamrolled.

super71 likes this.
  14. OriginalG1

I feel like making IS fight fight in two or more places is the weakness of IS, regardless of build. What are you getting at with bane shift? I am not familiar with a gritmaw bane shift combo.

15. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

If you type s h I t, the forum replaces it with bane shift

16. Hierokliff

Yeah its the fun of playing IS, not that many global synergy effects. There are a few units that can handle 1v1 nicely, but if its a few 2v2 or 3v3 then iam always in trouble. wanted to ask/post to see if people got nice 2-3man teams, that really can take care of these types of games.
    dwarven hooligan is great in it, ironfist ministers also, but need more ideas, def need 1-2 ranged units 1-2 melee and a healing type, but cant bring 3-4 support/healers in the deck. so its a tricky part of the game. so much easier to just focus on one big fight, and well if the enemy wants to run around take my fonts and "outplay" me while i crush his main army, so be it.
    especially weak are rock defiance since its AoE is so small, and if you dont use elementas but try to use pure troll then they are toast :)

Grintmaw shaman looks awesome for these type of teams though, heal,range,majestic

17. vipoid

vipoid I need me some PIE!

In terms of making split decks, what are some good combinations for a Rock Defiance deck?

Aside from Marsh Troll, do any champions in other factions have Rock Defiance?

18. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

I don't believe so, marsh troll I believe is the only one. Some good combos for rock defiance bgs could be kthir with the healing and support spells, savage tundra for the health buff and support spells, also pilgrims blessing on jakei pilgrim, sl for the bonus.

That's all I can think of right now, I had a fairly competitive split bg built around rock defiance let me see if I can dig it up for you when I get home.

19. vipoid

vipoid I need me some PIE!

Thanks.

Any chance you could go into a bit more detail with those builds (in terms of what specific support spells and which champions from those factions to use alongside them)?

20. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

I will once I'm home