Looking for input on a new travelmap project

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Poxpoints, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Poxpoints

Poxpoints I need me some PIE!

I'm going to keep it short and sweet, I'm looking for some input from people outside of my current audience to review a little webapplication I've made.

It's a worldmap to which people can automatically add their blogposts from the blogplatform Steemit.

You can check it out at: http://www.steemitworldmap.com

Questions I'm curious about:
    - If there would be more markers on the map, can you see yourself using this if you'd travel somewhere?
    - How can I improve the UX?
    - Does the USD value on the posts feel strange (considering I'm guessing most of you are not involved in the Steemit community)?
    - Other remarks you have

2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Seems like it could be theoretically useful to those in the community, but I honestly have no idea what I am looking at or why it might be useful to me, and it's not immediately obvious how I would find out.

After some clicking around, I do feel like the idea definitely has merit.

The USD part makes no sense to me, so yea, it makes it look like I have to pay or something which makes me apprehensive about clicking on anything.

As a user, the first thing I'd expect to be able to do is search for a location. I am not ever really going to be looking at the entire world if I am looking to travel something. I'd want to search for, "New York City" and be taken immediately there.

I think a split screen approach might work better where I can click on the stuff on the world map on one panel, and see the blog listing on another panel. And potentially when I click on one of the listings, the map panel is replaced with the actual blog post text (with an easy way to close it and go back to the map). I am guessing the bloggers would prefer you actually load their page on a new tab but as a user this is what I'd prefer.

(Incidentally, the above is similar to how the Yelp mobile app works.)

3. Poxpoints

Awesome, this is pretty much exactly why I decided to look for feedback here!

Bloggers can put their posts to the map (as you can see), this happens through a small code snippet they insert in their post. For the Steemit community it's already useful as you can link to an author or post link.
    Where I want to go with this is basically over time it becoming a more personal trip-advisor. At this point there is a lot of very good objective information on places to visit, but the best subjective information we can find is: "Very nice, would go again 5 stars.", which really doesn't tell you much. I have started selecting the best travel-posts towards that purpose in the Editors Choice section (which when the map grows will be the default), you can see those through -> filter -> editors choice.

In the FAQ I explain the USD value, but I do understand it's confusing for people not familiar with Steemit. I may have to find a way to make it less of a mental barrier.

I was thinking of adding a location searchbar, but there didn't seem to be that much demand for it. Most likely because it's not so much being used to search for a certain place yet, but more just to add to the map and browse around at the moment!
    Definitely something I want and should add though!

I see what you mean; I'd probably do it in some sort of overlay on top of the map. Definitely possible, but like you said, I'm not sure the bloggers are going to like that. As for them one of the rewards of adding to the map is potential visitors.

Thanks a lot for the feedback, really helps me improve the idea!

4. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I guess my thought to some of that is: What's the point for bloggers to add it to the map tho if it doesn't have utility to some end users?

As for the split screen thing, it's possible to do like a partial version where I can at least see some of the page, but to read all of it, I have to click "read more" which THEN takes me out your site). This way I have a better idea of what I am clicking instead of it being just a title and a tiny photo.

5. Poxpoints

Well there are two types of end users:
    - The bloggers themselves (as they can link to their own authormap: e.g.: http://www.steemitworldmap.com/?author=martibis
    - People searching for content on the map (which I'll than eventually focus to good travel content, instead of all content)

Yeah, authors at the moment have the possibility to add a short description (the white space you see next to the picture) but that feature is often not (or very limited) being used, maybe I should start with promoting that more? Do you think that would already be a significant improvement?
    I could definitely look into the overlay, as I know it exists within steemit already and it's opensource, so I might actually be able to just get it from there pretty easily!

6. Poxpoints

Just added the search on location fucntionality!

7. Poxpoints

Won a prize with the map, yay, haha!

I'm on the right by the way, flattering as always!

[​IMG]

Gnomes and newsbuff like this.
  8. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

wow man, congrats! very cool!

9. Poxpoints

Thanks man, it really seems to have taken off!

newsbuff likes this.