Last attempt at saving UD

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nepyonisdead, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Thanks for this. Is there any analysis of why it's not worth 45 nora now? And why 35-40 is better? What are the spells at 45 nora that you deem more powerful/relevant, and what are the comparable runes at 35-40 nora that you could see this comparing well with?

I feel like you are arguing 2 different things here:

How can both of these things be true when the latter is what allows for the former?

2. nepyonisdead

nepyonisdead I need me some PIE!

umm ok lets talk about them which one of those is on the same level of KF rangers / ST frost amp/ FW skeletons / SP cyclops etc? you are supposed to represent UD and yet cant even realise the difference in power between the ''power'' faction and the rest of them. Instead u are satisfied to think we are all making a point over nothing which is part of the problem

3. Sokolov

I don't disagree it was a huge nerf, which is partly why it did drop 50% in cost. The ability was extremely powerful before and warranted a double digit nora cost.

In general, I'd say that most of what you said makes sense but also that it's generally already being accounted for in current UD design. It's why things like Minos, Drain Vitality, Avarice and Boundless were all created.

Champion based synergies of this sort is a bit harder to create easily/quickly, because you often need multiple new abilities/runes like with Minos to make it robust enough (and they have much more limited meta impact, relative to non-champion runes).

I do think abilities like Phantom Dash and Homing Sense could probably be utilized more in UD. Maybe a Grant: Homing Sense would be very interesting.

Also, if anyone has an idea on how we can make DEP work while not being just OPed relative to other relocates, I am open to those ideas as well. Maybe it's as simple as putting the new Recharge on her (5 LOL for -2 CD).

4. nepyonisdead

at 35 nora you can cast the spell and afford the nora swing a cleanse or dispel that would follow thats (1)

at 45 its sort of like an unholy tomb where u are waiting for it to pay back over the period of 4 turns or so and you are playing for the long game

lastly the main juice of what I said is if you assume that the spell allows 3 champs to be buffed this is hardly the case and if we drop the price and the number of champs affected to 2 or keep the cost and make it global ((or even make it 50 nora)) that would shift it in the right direction

because one aspect made it good and the other made it ''broken'' and the aspect that made it good is the part we shouldnt have changed

5. Sokolov

They are the same thing tho? The global buff (the 2nd point and the part that was changed) allows for the champs to push with buffed stats (the 1st point, which it no longer does)?

6. nepyonisdead

the first point was that the debuff was huge making the champ obselete, the second point was the global effect. Yes the debuff was insane especially vs UD's dmg but the global effect was a great addition and shouldnt have changed

7. Sokolov

I was asking about the parts I quoted:

Which suggests that what made it GREAT was the global. And I am asking how can the main strength of a rune not be a problem?

Your argument here appears to be, "Don't nerf the strong part?" Or is it just the presentation that's giving this impression?

~

Anyway, let's get back to what I want to do. I want to stop focusing on "what was nerfed" and figure out what the rune SHOULD be to be playable.

First, is it literally unplayable now?

If so, why is it not? What competing runes are taking up the slots? Why are those runes better and does a buffed DV simply push out some other rune to unplayability?

Second, if it is unplayable, what can we do?

Should it be a cost adjustment? Is it 35 nora? If so, why?

Does it be global? Is it global and 3 champs buffed? is it global and 2 champs buffed and 40 nora?

Third, what's the abstract aspect of the rune that we want to emphasis/keep?

Is it the DMG debuff? the SPD debuff? The DMG buff? or the SPD buff?

8. nepyonisdead

I am sorry if I didnt answer the question for part 1 but i am honestly doing my best to

as for the following:

1. no its not unplayable simply way less practical in comparison to what it used to be

2. what can we do? --> decrease the debuff to -2 speed and -4 dmg and make it global or even -3 dmg only

3. if the cost assumes that we get 3 champs buff this is hardly the case if ever ---> we can globalise the effect and reduce the condition or we can limit the number of champs to 1 and 2 and consider altering the cost accordingly

9. Sokolov

For a reference point, we can look at something like Devolve, which isn't run regularly, but does show up here and there.

Devolve is 30 nora for:

Target champion has -50% DEF, SPD, and DMG for 4 turns.

Drain Vitality's debuff, in comparison:
    • Roughly equivalent debuff
      • Sometimes Devolve will be better, other than times DV's debuff is better
    • +2 turn duration on debuff
    So, ignoring the buff aspect, how much is 50% more uptime worth in terms of the debuff?

It's certainly not 0. You could argue it's worth 50% more cost, which puts DV at 45, but that's not really how spells scale.

So it's probably something close to 10 nora, putting DV at 40 (if we want to argue that Devolve is not playable at 30, then our baseline needs to move).

Now, DV does also do this:
    • Buffs up to 3 champs with +2 DMG and +1 SPD in AE5
    So how much is this worth?

It's true that you won't get all 3 necessarily, but it's at least one in almost every situation. So how much is

• Target champion gains +2 DMG and +1 SPD worth?

10. nepyonisdead

This was a thread i made a while back with the amazing contributions of @Regulate and in it he describes variety of versions of the champ where u can make her teh valued support unit she is meant to be

11. Sokolov

So you mean...

Current:
    45 Nora: Target champion has -6 DMG and -3 SPD for 6 turns. Then, the closest 3 friendly champions within 5 spaces gain +2 DMG and +1 SPD for 6 turns.

Proposed:
    ??? Nora: Target champion has -4 DMG and -2 SPD for 6 turns. Then, the closest 2 friendly champions gain +2 DMG and +1 SPD for 6 turns.

Like this?

This seems strictly worse to me, but maybe I am underestimating the global.

12. nepyonisdead

but thats another point

KF has a variety of spells that do the same thing more effectively (blinding flash) which ends up at 25 nora in some instance or 35 normally so why would u play devolve when u have access to whats in my opinion a better spell and a cheaper one at that

nothing in UD really applies teh same role and thats why it was a revelation and a center piece before change

13. Sokolov

I remember reading those but they all involve bringing back Beckon Demon, right?

14. nepyonisdead

For me thats perfect and far more reliable and applicable but Ill leave that to the main public

ofc the cost will have to drop to 35 - 40 nora if u ask me but ill leave that to your judgment

15. nepyonisdead

yes sir with suggested changes to accomodate for the cost she currently has too in an attempt to balance the final version

16. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

But see, that's just it, I see those things you just listed (besides minos) as movement towards a less-than desirable direction that actually ends up holding the faction back.

I agree that it can be tough because it can require new abilities

17. Sokolov

I don't think every deck is running Aurora + Blinding Flash. If the Spellsurges are too strong that's one thing but we should evaluate BF at 35 nora for the purposes of this comparison. I agree that BF is better than Devolve in most situations, but the value is a bit more abstract and more easily countered as well.

So now that you don't play DV, what have you replaced it with?

18. Sokolov

Well, I was asking for suggestions that don't involve bringing back the old Beckon Demon, because that's simply not happening.

19. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

Easy.
    1. They're not Demons
    2. They have great tools to compensate for their lack of range
    3. They have enough thematical spells/equips/relics to make them worth playing
    That's literally all you need for UD themes to be good.

nepyonisdead and Etherielin like this.
  20. Sokolov

Do you agree with this, @nepyonisdead , would you prefer DV/BE to stay "killed" so we can push UD in a different direction?