Discussion: Plox Neon Now Available

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Senshu, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

Woffleet and Etherielin like this.
  2. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I love that the life icon is a axolotl.

Etherielin likes this.
  3. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

Is this for real or a joke for Christmas?

DiCEM0nEY likes this.
  4. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

It's real.

5. Fentum

I am slowly shaking my head in sadness.

Plox Neon? A riff on Pox Nora? Whilst the architecture of Pox Nora is still poor?

It’s sad.

I’m not usually down beat but this is very, very monkey.

6. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

from what i understand dogs are not working only on pox. they have a pox team,a spacewars team, a neon team etc so this has no influence on pox's fixes.

7. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

also its incredibly similar to the old games where you uncover naked ladies... maybe its just my impression...and i know that because a friend told me... never played that kind of stuff. ( please don't tell my wife)

8. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

9. Firk

Firk I need me some PIE!

looks super neat hope this goes well.

10. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I played it for an hour or so before work. Will write up a steam review for it once I get some more time on it under my belt but its a ton of fun and well worth the $4 its selling for atm. Needs some more levels and maybe a few more enemy types. Perhaps some sort of "Boss" mechanic every few rounds.

11. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Holy pox, guys, who did you hire for the translation? Fire that guy. Or was it google translator?

I'll do it on the cheap and if you ask very nicely for free, but the current German description is unbearably bad.

I dunno how many German customers will come upon the description, but man ...

Alakhami, DiCEM0nEY and Gnomes like this.
  12. Fentum

Vorsprung durch Technik

13. Senshu

Ha! you hit on several things. Some of this has to do with when we were deciding on what languages to support or if we should just do only English in regards to the budget for this project. The discussion came up about the retro nostalgia factor. One of the classic tropes for 80's games was the often nonsensical translations. It would be a little too on the nose to do it for English, but you are pretty on point with the guess. This was purely a passion project for us. There is no attempt to hide what this game is and that we were leaning hard into a very specific vibe. We even had a conversation about how to make the Key Art look even more like classic 80's box art.

14. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

You might want to include that in the game description so that non-English speakers are aware the translation is silly on purpose.

15. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

As Eth said, right now it just looks unprofessional, not retro :s Though I do get the sentiment.

16. Senshu

Your sentiment is understandable. This is purely a passion project, off the books, that some of us have been doing in our spare time. We wanted to share Plox with as many people as possible without it impacting our other projects.

An abridged reenactment regarding translations:
    • We could use Google translate
    • Should we? Those translations can be comically bad.
    • A lot of the early games had pretty bad translations.
    • We are already going all out with the 80's throwback nostalgia, so, that could play into the theme.
    • Hmm, if it is the difference between nothing versus something, as in no language support and not releasing in those regions, it at the very least gives them the opportunity to play the game and give them some sort of description.
    • True, so what languages would we want to support?
    • EFIGS for sure but are there any others?
    • Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Arabic, Russian, Portigues.
    • For sure those too, and why not Polish.
    • Malay, Indonesian, Turkish, are pretty large regional languages.
    • What about Inda? What is the main language spoken in India? Hindi?
    • Actually, it is Bengali.
    • Really, when was the last time you ever seen a game support Bengali?
    • When I went to India, but it is true you don't see it in western games.
    • Why not support Bengali because there is probably someone that would be happy we did.
    To answer your question in addition to the above, it was not a hard intent at satire but we recognized it as a thing with early games and thought it could play into the nostalgia self-referential aspect of the game. In the end, it was born out of necessity. Adding a disclaimer starts bringing it around to just not doing it at all, if you have to explain the joke then it probably wasn't funny so don't try to push the joke because it won't make it any funnier.

Actually, the riff wasn't originally intentional, but like many things with this project, we rolled with it. This started out as a programming exercise of Gedden's that he just called Plox more or less to call it something. The general premise is based on a game called Xionx that he fondly remembers from his childhood. He has casually talked about Plox internally for years, and we got to talking about just doing this as a side project. When the art design for the game got established we all thought this felt really 80's (in the good way) and all the enemies look like single-cell organisms (germs/viruses), so why not name the game Pox Neon? Well, we want to Keep anything we do that is named Pox to be regarding Pox Nora, and it was referred to as Plox for such a long time we were used to calling it by that name. So that is how Plox Neon became a thing. The absurdly striking similarity of the name to Pox Nora was recognized internally for sure.

These two Steam reviews sum up our whole intent with this game:
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198089052394/recommended/751970/
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/jordanthompson/recommended/751970/

Karamasov, Etherielin and Tweek516 like this.
  17. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

I'll have a look at the game when I get home. if the russian turns out to be bad, I can lend you a hand.

18. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- I think there are like 10 posts here saying its supposed to be bad? ... for like the lulz? all ur base r etc .?

Loyaute likes this.
  19. Loyaute

Loyaute I need me some PIE!

I feel memed on.

Thbigchief, SPiEkY and Etherielin like this.
  20. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- I feel meme'd in :rolleyes: