Where have all the Skeezick Gone?

Discussion in 'Sundered Lands' started by MrCharles, Jan 5, 2018.

1. MrCharles

MrCharles The King of Potatoes

I just started thumbing threw SL runes today and realized I don't think I've played against or seen a Skeezick deck since I started playing fairly regularly again.

In general this particular spot on the forums seems pretty silent but I do see a good bit of Dragon and the occasional Drak theme mixed in with Junk stuff. Anybody got a current BG to post?

2. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

Hiding under the rock to avoid nerf calls. :p

Anima26 and MrCharles like this.
  3. MrCharles

Lol are they unbalanced?

4. Karamasov

Karamasov Lord of SL & Master of Challenges

I've found, from the little I have played Skeezick that they struggle against summon spam. There's been quite a lot in the meta at times. Got tired of losing to worse players running skeletons ;) They also struggle against decks with high dam numbers - and not just frost amp. But I would say that they are still really strong, it's just that some of the top tier decks counter them.

FYI I run 5 dragons and 4 skeez in my meta deck.

5. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

skeezicks are tanky, cheap both in nora and shards, so they are very nice for beginners. also its true they struggle vs summons.

6. MrCharles

Which skeez made it to your meta?

7. Etherielin

*****...err I mean Whorl.

8. Karamasov

Currently Master Trapsmith (as a test), Drummer and 2x Whorl. Vanguard is also a solid meta rune. Sentry, Alchemist and Resilient have potential in some meta bgs as well. Trigger can be run with relic overload, but is slated for a nerf in the next patch.

9. Voidtrain

Voidtrain I need me some PIE!

What makes Whirlyboy so good anyway?

10. Etherielin

His ability to be able to hold a font on his own through a combination of repulsion, slam and inhibiting touch while being cheap as hell.

11. Karamasov

Whorl is good, but you need to know about the repulsion interaction to make use of him. For that same reason it can not hold a font by itself. If you engage a Whorl and slap a relic behind the engaging champ (or engage in a way so the champ can't be pushed back) the Whorl will be unable to disengage.

12. Etherielin

I know, it's my favourite method of murdering it.

13. Karamasov

We had the discussion before :) Others might be interested.

Etherielin likes this.
  14. Voidtrain

I am definitely interested, but i cant say ive ever encounted one.

15. MrCharles

Alright so I'm gonna make a skeezy deck and I wanted to hear a couple of thoughts

1) The skeezick march spell looks inferior to the draconic or quickening by a wide margin. Am I missing something?

2) half-skeezick seems to be a cheaper version of the general and I don't think I should include both. Surge: Skeezick has some obvious potential here because I'm going to be depolying Skeezicks and all but is the extra nora worth it? would you advise running both?

3) I've played less SL than anything else but some pointers as to what are the stronger more-often used relic and spell runes (yes I know the actual value of each rune depends on playstyle deck comp etc.)

4) The only SL relic that jumps out to me as looking like an auto-include would be the skywing relic (or whatever the relic that allows deploys in adjacent squares is called) and the ol' banner.

5) What's your vote for Skeezick MVP rune? I know this will probably vary.

Thanks for the suggestion on Whorl as it's one I would have absolutely walked right on past without consideration for how repulsion and slam would fit so well together.

Thank you in advance for your help, ideas, criticisms, and **** jokes. All are appreciated.

16. Voidtrain

1) It is, you're correct.

2) It is not only cheaper, but also performs better.

3) Phalanx Marker and Hive are good relics. Don't forget your tornado.

4) ^

5) Probably Blackguard, though I have a new appreciation for Trigger.

17. Voidtrain

Probably something similar to this

upload_2018-1-22_9-31-49.png

18. MrCharles

Very Nice Thanks. Is that a reforge next to the tornado rune?

I'll have to try this bg setup. I used a number of different relics/equips/spells than what you got up here.

However what I came up with was pretty close to yours for champs except:

a) I haven't used Resilient at all but i'll try it out
    b) So far I have used Arthromancer instead of Machinist. I guess it's trading off whether you have a longer ranged spot dmg via relic deploy in one case vs longer basic attack on the other. I really like the locust swarm as well but I'll try the Tinkerer out instead.
    c) I was running Warmage over Wylder but I have barely used or liked either.
    d) Was rotating and trying out Vindictive, Cannoner, Wrecker and liked them about in that order but none enough to stick around for long.

Which upgrades do you run/suggest for...

1) Ruthless
    2) Tracker
    3) Resilient
    4) Vanguard
    5) Trigger

Notes:
    * I seem to recall that I was using Torch and maybe Alchemist alot at some point a few years ago but I can't figure out why looking at them now. Torch seems pretty ordinary unless your running some kind of SL FF or SF fire theme with that draconic relic. Alchemist just seems insanely expensive even for a semi-support-ranged-AOE swiss army knife rune. It also looks like one of those champs that has more useful Tools than AP available to make use of them all. I may try to use again later.
    * So Totem...I like the rune/cost/abilities and granting everybody's mom alt dmg. Yet I have only deployed him once in 8-9 games so far and that was for mop up duty. Maybe I'm just missing the right time to deploy properly.
    * Vanguard's Lead combined with Reinforce has been good times thus far. Between that and Skywing Beacon SL seems to be able to cover alot of ground quickly which isn't something I was expecting. Skywing Relic might be overkill (or it might be the perfect rune here and I'm not using it correctly)
    *Lol....Sniper is comical both in artwork and (I'm guessing) function. I wonder if that's the point behind his setup because otherwise...well it's basically just gimping itself so hard it would only ever be useful if you get really lucky. Maybe it's for those among us that really enjoy collecting projectiles to the face while standing silent and still, pantless, with your **** flopping in the wind.
    *Bolter has been my most used rune outside of Vanguard and the Blackguards.
    *I'm a fan of having a few stealth/trick type runes in each deck but I can't find one I really like for this BG. Waylay doesn't seem to fit here and so I have been trying out honest mistake/minefield/venom track one at a time. I wasn't expecting it but so far it's been honest mistake that's been the most effective curveball pitch in that arsenal. Although I don't think that will last going forward as it seems to be pretty situational.
    *Dragon's God Staff seems to be more than the sum of it's parts. I remember SL players straight wrecking me plans with it back in the day. Not sure if it's the right rune for this BG as I think it's the same slot as Purge (and wow that ain't ever coming out of this BG) but it's been fun to play around with.

19. Voidtrain

To be honest, I just run Machinist because I like him. It's more of a flavor spot than a functional one. And yes that rune is Reforge, which is super good.

Resilient with Shatter and Commander beefs up your damage and utility some more. With everyone currently running Salamans, extra equip tech is pretty valuable.

Wylder is better than Blastmage by far. Imbue stun is hella good.

Totem has Heal Mass 2. It's basically Mika but fatter.

Netmaster I have DC2 and Gore

Whats a tracker?

Resilient, see above.

Vanguard I run Dictate and Drive.

Trigger I run Relic Overload, since SL doesn't have Seism and Skeezick Alliance.

20. MrCharles

I meant valdaci sentry not tracker...I think that's the name of it's unique ability? anyway I keep getting it wrong.

Vanguard I've been basically been charging forward and tossing him into the meatgrinder to shield whatever else I deploy after him. So i've been running him a with Emp:Speed. Though your setup is what I instinctively want to put on him. I keep going back and forth. He's great btw but I find myself really wishing he had a dirt cheap 2nd upgrade option.

I'll try Wylder out for the stun buff.

Trigger I could not decide between what you suggested and Emp: Range. But I think your point makes sense. Also the extra long range (hiting min) can be a bit of handcuff if your getting rushed.

For Relic Smashing in SL : What's up with Magnetize? Is it too situational to be dependable? Nora Cost too much?