Lumbering Zombies and Zombie Herder are almost useless now.

Discussion in 'Forsaken Wastes' started by potatonuts, Jan 17, 2018.

1. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

I mentioned this soon after the changes to Zombie Herder and as time has gone on my opinion on it has become more and more concrete.

Charge just doesn't work anywhere near in the same way, for starters you need a target and unless you've somehow managed to maneuver your lumbering zombies into a position where they can hit the target from all sides you're going to be lucky to get more than one charge off. This leaves most lumbering zombies with 3AP that they just can't do anything with, they move one extra space and then get stuck in limbo unable to do anything but clump around and get in the way until they are gradually killed off. I've even started purposely not swarming to avoid this as they just form a meatwall that stop your more important champs from actually ever reaching melee whilst rarely reaching melee with enough AP/HP to get an attack off themselves.

The changes to Elsarin Night simply make this worse as that stripped them of their only remaining source of mobility for Lumbering zombies, and there was absolutely no need for that nerf to begin with, hardly anyone even used the spell and I cant see anyone using it now either. Furthermore the addition of Light as a Feather to Dead Fairy was nothing more than novelty, I found flying zombies fun for about 5 minutes but it's purely situational, the aoe is tiny so requires too much positioning to be effective and forces you to gimp the upgrades of the one 7 speed zombie out there.

If Fleshweaver and Lumbering zombies are ever going to be useful again then Zombie Herder needs to remove Lumbering/Lethargic again. I'm now certain that the rework was the complete wrong way to go with this ability, reduce the AP gain, increase the cost or whatever but this was just an unnecessary change which came off the back of people whining about Rotwrapper and it's killed off the playstyle that zombies used to have and used to make them fun to play.

Something similar to Light as a Feather would probably work pretty well, like range 5 aoe3; all zombies affected lose Lumbering/Lethargic for X turns and gain 2AP. I think this would also justify a slight cost reduction and with some reworked upgrades Fleshweaver could be a well balanced support champ like she used to be.

@Sokolov plz halp.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  2. potatonuts

Just to clarify I think Zombie Herder is currently really good it just doesn't really do anything for zombies with Lumbering.

Kiruzen and Voidtrain like this.
  3. Voidtrain

Voidtrain I need me some PIE!

Zombies is one of my favorite themes, so i agree wholeheartedly.

Kiruzen, TheBulwark and potatonuts like this.
  4. potatonuts

I'm glad that you do, It really hit the summons hard and it's sad to see them being so useless now.

5. attio26

attio26 Lord of FS

ive been running a zombie split with timothy the vile, voodoo shamfie and darkmarsh witch. Ive never bothered running herder it seems way overpriced considering how useful charge is in the theme

6. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

Zombies really suck because ST is Op right now with spells like frigid barrier. Slow moving cheap units with no stat versus long range sniper tanks in ST with over the top supporting runes.

7. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

I run Timothy in an FS split as well. But he isn't really related to zombies.

8. potatonuts

It's also that getting a swarm rarely gives you any kind of advantage, being able to use them to pressure ranged units or lockdown melee threats is barely an option any more due to the fact that you cant control them with herder. The only time i've been able to get used of them lately is when the swarm spawns in contact with or at least very close to an enemy and is able to immediately hinder their positioning, otherwise they're just kind of there. It takes far too long to get them into a position that can threaten the opponent because they are so easily outmaneuvered and are usually just killed off at the opponent's convenience.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Kiruzen, Anima26 and TheBulwark like this.
  9. Anima26

Anima26 I need me some PIE!

That is still something though, theyre sapping AP and atleast being a nuisance. Mindless zombies in most horror movies tend to be useless ambling idiots anyway haha so its flavorful!