More homeschooling nonsense

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SireofSuns, Feb 14, 2018.

1. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

http://www.citizengo.org/en-us/ed/156976-homeschooled-twelve-year-old-tackled-police-norway?tc=fb&tcid=45396438

So.. This stuff happens a lot in various European countries, and is happening more and more often in Canada and the United States.

Can someone explain to me why some people think that the government essentially kidnapping kids that are homeschooled is okay?
    There are other things too, like kids being harassed, attacked, virtually sexually assaulted (read: teen girls in the United States forced to strip naked in front of male police, in their own home, so the CPS official can confirm that there are no bruises).

I get that some people don't think homeschooling is a good idea, but I'm at the point where I just don't care. Leave them alone unless actual freaking proof of them committing atrocities can be shown.

The only times I've heard of "homeschoolers" doing bad things, is when underperforming or troublesome kids were told, by the public schools, to homeschool, so that the school wouldn't have them on their records (in order to get better reviews and more funding).

2. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Easiest to brainwash kids when they are young and impressionable, can't do that if the kids aren't at the school.

Also schooling systems now are a sham, even more so in the us.

3. SireofSuns

(I was kinda hoping someone that dislikes homeschooling or is from Europe could give an answer, I already know what the United States political right thinks about it, but thanks anyway :) )

4. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

it's not and you can see how these people bringing it over from Canada is a problem.
    before you know it people raised in Europe might be as ignorant about the world, logic, and actual scientific facts as the average US-American.

sure the norwegian leerplichtambtenaren could have resolved this better.

or, and I know News or superor ragic is/are against this... the bullying should have been stopped.

but there is leerplicht, (learn-duty/ copulsory learning ) and I doubt these Canadians where qualified to provide the education, I also do not think removing a child from contact with peers is mercifull, even if it stops bullying.

these people are unreasonable. they directly violated laws and act as if the laws being enforced is a problem, entitled snowflakes.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  5. super71

Not sure how education in Europe is, but in the states it's mostly a teacher babysitting all day as the kids are unruly and lack discipline and respect. This is partially because teachers are allowed to do nothing to reprimand them and because parents gave up on parenting, either because they both work, or they just hand the kid an iPhone and say have a good day.

I'm not politically right, I'm not really either side, never have been, I have certain things on both sides I agree with.

6. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

apparently Ragic is a teacher in the US so really that gives you all the info you need on the US school system doesn't it.

:D

BurnPyro likes this.
  7. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

after years of us telling you you are politically wrong you have finally cracked!

8. super71

I just don't side with either side, seems to be a waste, because neither side ever gets anything done.

9. SireofSuns

The average US-American is educated in Public Schools, the average United States homeschooler's education beats it (and many other countries') education.

leerplichtambtenaren never handles it better, their track record is awful.
    The bullying should have been stopped, and they were asked to help with it by the parents, but they did nothing. To me, it sounds less like they actually care about the kid, and more just about being able to keep tabs on the kid.
    And yes, removing someone from a toxic environment at the cost of less social contact is almost always merciful. If the social contact isn't healthy, it's pointless.
    We don't know if they were qualified, but in general, anyone with a decent highschool or higher education can be a decent educator as long as they try and are able to keep their kids disciplined.
    Additionally, on average, homeschooled children receive as much (and often more) healthy socialization with peers than their publicly educated counterparts. There's generally less bullying, stronger mental retention of subjects learned, and overall more positive outlooks.

Actually no, under Norwegian law they were fine, and they were following through on all of the things they needed to do.
    The school and leerplichtambtenaren actually didn't follow through on what they were supposed to do. They're supposed to wait a bit, work with the parents on various forms to be filled out, and then check in on them periodically to make sure the kid is being educated (and not abused). They didn't. And schools in Europe keep doing this.

I should note, I was homeschooled. I have my own personal experiences, but I try not to use them as a measurement of schooling, because I had a great experience (much better than the experiences of any of my public or private schooled friends). So am a bit biased.

Psychologically, what leerplichtambtenaren did will probably leave the kid with PTSD.
    I've yet to see any arguments against homeschooling that actually stand up. My mom actually works in politics, and has been fighting recently against a new wave of people trying to further restrict it on my home state (and other states too). The basis for the new restrictions? Oh, a bunch of kids were imprisoned by their parents for years on end, because the school decided not to follow through on their own procedures, and told the parents the kids should be homeschooled. They then did none of the things they were supposed to do to check in on the kids. It was only recently when one of the daughters managed to escape and tell authorities that the kids were rescued. There were also lots of neighbors that didn't report anything.
    Now they're arguing that homeschoolers need more regulation. Instead of, ya' know, telling the public schools to actually follow the laws.

10. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Yes the people of the US are known worldwide for being well educated.
    and very slim too.

11. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

What kind of idiot does something before he has the proper paperwork filled out?

12. SireofSuns

I agree that American public education is awful, it's part of why I support homeschooling, because it's allowed a great number of people to get excellent education in the US. The majority of homeschool parents/teachers are either teachers themselves, or well educated (my dad has a MD in Mechanical Engineering, my mom was an Attorney for a long time, as well as other homeschooling parents that we worked with, I had a great education, and from what I've read, it seems that's typical of homeschoolers in the US).

Exactly my point, the Norwegian school and leerplichtambtenaren were idiots. (yes, I know what you mean, the parents had already filed what they were supposed to, the school and leerplichtambtenaren hadn't).

13. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

please stop using the Dutch word I used to fill in whatever its called in English.

14. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

a lot of engineers are into intelligent design though because they may be good at designing and making stuff but they know Firk all about biology

15. SireofSuns

Ah, sorry, that would be the CPS, Child Protection Services.

wat
    What on earth does this have to do with anything?
    (also, ironically, a larger percentage of biologists are theists, as opposed to engineers)

I was kinda hoping you would be able to give more relevant and informed answers and opinions on this stuff. :/

16. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

You guys shoved leerplichtambtenaren en kinderbescherming into the same thing?

17. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

you can't trust engineers

nah, are you confusing biological entities with biologists?

HAh, now who'se crazy, you should have been asking Norwegians and more neutral news-sources rather than the one above.
    im just here to make jerky comments for my own amusement.

18. SireofSuns

We don't really have an organization dedicated to making sure our kids only get one perspective get taught. CPS is there, supposedly, to protect children from abuse and neglect. They do a sucky job.

um, ok...

hahahaha

I know the bias of the website I linked, which is enough for me (I compulsively research, so cross checking is a given for me).
    I wasn't asking specifically for Norwegians about this specific instance. I was using it as a jumping off point for a more general discussion.

Yeeeaaaaaah...
    I noted you kinda didn't bother much with actually trying to debate and quickly went to poison in the well fallacies.

19. SireofSuns

Also, I keep forgetting you're Dutch.

From my perspective of the Dutch lower education system, it really doesn't seem like you get much of a choice on what you learn. And from the little I've heard from my Dutch relatives, even after that, Holland acts a lot like a nanny state (and my relatives didn't say this because they dislike it, they just stated it as a casual fact).

20. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

only way to gain an immunity
    You prefer a police state I know.

your parents pick the school and their style and philosophy whitin the freedom depends on style where you learn a lot of everything and then depending on performance you can get into different tracts at highschool after a few years you can go up a level or pick a profile aimed more at what you do after that.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018