What does it mean if your computer screen looks like this?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JazzMan1221, May 20, 2018.

1. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

[​IMG]

These graphical artifacts pop up randomly while I'm using my computer. It just started happening a few days ago. Sometimes the screen will turn completely white and I'll be forced to restart my computer manually, as it becomes unresponsive.

I've reinstalled my drivers, cleaned the dust from my case, and ran tests with another monitor (problem still occurred, so it's gotta be something else right?). I really don't want to have to spring for a new video card, so if anyone technically inclined could help me out here, I'd appreciate it. Will post specs if needed, just lemme know what you want.

2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

That looks like micro-fractures on the video card. Is this a laptop?

3. JazzMan1221

Nope, it's a desktop.

That makes me wonder though, I had to move a few months ago and ended up having my computer shipped by mail to my new address. Maybe it was damaged during shipping? But if that's the case why am I only noticing the problem now?

4. Sokolov

Microfractures can develop in solder joints over time due to rapid cooling and heating.

It's more common in laptops, but it can happen in desktops too.

I am not saying this IS the issue, but it could be.

5. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

It means your computer isn't working right, I would guess.

soulmilk and Dagda like this.
  6. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Does your motherboard have a built in GPU that you can switch to? That would allow you to verify it's the computer and not the video cable or monitor.

7. JazzMan1221

It does, but I've already tried switching to it with no success. The cable is brand new, so I doubt that's it either. Tbh the card itself is almost 5 years old now, so I'm not really surprised it's dying on me.

8. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

No success as in nothing is displayed? Probably a bios setting. Some motherboards disable onboard graphics when a video card is detected.

9. Sokolov

Yea, I am not sure what "switching to it with no success" means.

Just physically disconnect the video card and boot the machine up. What happens?